My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:35 am

No confusion. Just a little 'back story' to put it in some context. All good.

I was watching "Contact" and breaking my fresh Zorin OS 11 install on the test rig when I replied last night, FYI :D
Upgraded OS 11 to 16.04, more to come on this.

I live 'out in the sticks' in OZ, on a dark clear night you can almost see the Big Bang :mrgreen:
The sky is just awesome here.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby star treker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:45 am

Awww, I envy you because of that! I love outer space, one of my dreams is to travel the stars, how lucky are you ;) See, where I live up north, we have a lot of clouds in the sky, and so most of the time I don't get to see the stars. But on those rare occasions, like about a week ago, I got to see some of them, and it was fascinating! :D Thankyou for sharing that, and I also wish you luck on the upgrade of the OS. I got the disk for Ubuntu Mate sitting right next to me. I have contemplated installing it, but when I ordered the disk, this was before I discovered Makulu Lindoz. And now that I am aware that Jacque is soon to have it finnished, it kind of renders the point of installed Ubuntu Mate kind of mute.

I'd like to have a faster computer eventually as a test rig, but right now the only desktop machine I have left is that old single core 64 bit AMD, and those computer's really arn't designed for modern OS's that require more then a single core to get stuff done. I assume your test rig is at least a dual core right?
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
User avatar
star treker
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby MBMz10 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 am

star treker wrote:Awww, I envy you because of that! I love outer space, one of my dreams is to travel the stars, how lucky are you ;) See, where I live up north, we have a lot of clouds in the sky, and so most of the time I don't get to see the stars. But on those rare occasions, like about a week ago, I got to see some of them, and it was fascinating! :D Thankyou for sharing that, and I also wish you luck on the upgrade of the OS. I got the disk for Ubuntu Mate sitting right next to me. I have contemplated installing it, but when I ordered the disk, this was before I discovered Makulu Lindoz. And now that I am aware that Jacque is soon to have it finnished, it kind of renders the point of installed Ubuntu Mate kind of mute.

I'd like to have a faster computer eventually as a test rig, but right now the only desktop machine I have left is that old single core 64 bit AMD, and those computer's really arn't designed for modern OS's that require more then a single core to get stuff done. I assume your test rig is at least a dual core right?


Test rig is a "Core 2 Duo" I think its called, running @3.0GHz (E8400?) 4GB RAM, 120GB SSD 320GB HDD. I built it about 8 or 10 years ago and it was my only machine until a few years ago. It had a 2.5GHz CPU (E5200?) but upgraded to 3GHz for about $8.00 about a year ago.

Australian outback is renowned for its stunning sky view at night, thought you'd like that! ;)

Well Zorin 11 upgrade to 16.04 looked great at first. Then I realized some of the 'Zorin' stuff had changed and some of the theming was lost. EG: no apps would appear on the AWN panel when running. I installed Cairo Dock and configured it but yep it is basically a broken distro at this stage.
Damn Zorin 11 looks great though!
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby star treker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:35 am

Many seem to want to return to version 11, which that tells you a lot IMO. Of course most of us have no access to 11 cause they decided to remove all NON-LTS versions off their site. And thats a nice test rig you built, I think thats good enough to test all operating systems up to maybe 5 years into the future, then you will need a Quad core or better. And keep enjoying them stars :)
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
User avatar
star treker
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby MBMz10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

My 'main PC' runs Linux Mint 18 Mate Edition (was Zorin 11 Ultimate) dual boots with Windows 10 UEFI is an i5 6600k with 16GB RAM and GTX1070 GPU, I built it back about May 2016. So got the Quad Core part already sorted. I moved house a few months ago (to the sticks) so was going to give the old dual core to someone that might have use for it as it was only worth about $50 to sell but I got no takers so it became my test rig.

This is one of the reasons I was really looking forward to OS 12, new PC new OS good to go for the next 5 years or so. Mint is OK just that I miss the Zorin touch. Well I continue to hope Zorin release 12.1 Compiz Edition...

I have seen links for Zorin 11, maybe even on this forum somewhere! Cheers.
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby Swarfendor437 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:01 am

star treker wrote:Many seem to want to return to version 11, which that tells you a lot IMO. Of course most of us have no access to 11 cause they decided to remove all NON-LTS versions off their site. And thats a nice test rig you built, I think thats good enough to test all operating systems up to maybe 5 years into the future, then you will need a Quad core or better. And keep enjoying them stars :)


Nope!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/11/
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 X1700 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia Graphics GT620 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 9095
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby BonusBrain » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 pm

This is an old thread now but some recent changes might suit some folks viewing it.
Zorin Lite 12.3 is now based on Xfce and Compiz/Emerald will install and work fine with it.
You can add further enhancements directly into .themes, and/or .icons.
I use the ChaletOS-W10-W theme as a base and then add Emerald window borders, wobbly windows etc.
There's not so much complete control as there was with OS 9, but IMO there is enough to satisfy plus more stability and a more certain future that moving to say Makulu.

A couple of screenshots as illustration for custom themes - Zorin Lite 12.2 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123266
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123351
User avatar
BonusBrain
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:34 am

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby Swarfendor437 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 pm

BonusBrain wrote:This is an old thread now but some recent changes might suit some folks viewing it.
Zorin Lite 12.3 is now based on Xfce and Compiz/Emerald will install and work fine with it.
You can add further enhancements directly into .themes, and/or .icons.
I use the ChaletOS-W10-W theme as a base and then add Emerald window borders, wobbly windows etc.
There's not so much complete control as there was with OS 9, but IMO there is enough to satisfy plus more stability and a more certain future that moving to say Makulu.

A couple of screenshots as illustration for custom themes - Zorin Lite 12.2 and Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123266
https://www.techsupportalert.com/freewa ... post123351


Nice! :D :D :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 X1700 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia Graphics GT620 (2 Gb)
User avatar
Swarfendor437
 
Posts: 9095
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: My OS 12 Roller coaster ride

Postby MBMz10 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi BonusBrain, can you run Compiz with the Zorin theme, if so how to do?
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
User avatar
MBMz10
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm
Previous

Return to Chat about Zorin OS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests