This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Xfce Desktop Environment

karera

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:44:31 pm

Is it possible to install xfce de in Zorin OS 12(.2) Core like in Zorin OS 12(.2) Lite?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:08:41 pm

Hi, Before you attempt to install xfce, I would advise you backup any critical data you have on your machine.

Take a look here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/223536/ ... side-unity

and here!!!:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=130170

Refrain from removing Gnome but click on the 'cog' at the login prompt to change your DE (Desktop Environment) to xfce.

Keep us posted!

karera

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47:15 am

Thanks

pcfan5

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:07:26 pm

hi @karera how did it go? I am planning on doing the same sooner.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42:26 pm

Be warned from personal experience you could be asking for big trouble. My main issue was a broken login screen and purple ubuntu screens between GRUB and the glowing 'Z' - partly because had tried to install Unity to get the greeter sound to work to no avail.

#Let your Lite by Lite and your Core be Core now!# :lol:

pcfan5

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:02:21 am

Noted. Thanks ;)

BonusBrain

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25:44 pm

From personal experience if you don't like the look of, or application of, the distro you have installed, never attempt to change this by adding another DE. Immediate or future failure (especially after a system update) is pretty much guaranteed. Even distros that come complete with a choice of DE's do so with varying degrees of success.

If you want Xfce (apart from Zorin Lite) then look at SolydX or Linux Lite. Or for a kitchen sink and then some experience the new Modicia OS developed by an Italian IT group is well worth a look.

https://www.modiciaos.cloud/

One distro that does work with multiple DE's is Q4OS that comes with Trinity but gives an option to install Plasma 5 too, subject to hardware compatibility recognition. I have this installed on one machine and regularly swap between Plasma and TDE without issue. Both options are blindingly fast but be prepared for a bit of a leaning curve if you've not encountered Trinity before, or the former KDE3.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33:57 pm

BonusBrain wrote:From personal experience if you don't like the look of, or application of, the distro you have installed, never attempt to change this by adding another DE. Immediate or future failure (especially after a system update) is pretty much guaranteed. Even distros that come complete with a choice of DE's do so with varying degrees of success.

If you want Xfce (apart from Zorin Lite) then look at SolydX or Linux Lite. Or for a kitchen sink and then some experience the new Modicia OS developed by an Italian IT group is well worth a look.

https://www.modiciaos.cloud/

One distro that does work with multiple DE's is Q4OS that comes with Trinity but gives an option to install Plasma 5 too, subject to hardware compatibility recognition. I have this installed on one machine and regularly swap between Plasma and TDE without issue. Both options are blindingly fast but be prepared for a bit of a leaning curve if you've not encountered Trinity before, or the former KDE3.

I find Antix17 the fastest as it only requires 256 Mb RAM. :D

pcfan5

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:05:10 pm

Hi. Zorin litte has Xfce desktop available from logg in window. How do I set it to be default. I don't like zorin themes.
I remember swarf said this "Hi pcfan5, I get either default or xfce at boot time. Basically I searched synaptic for 'xfce' and installed all packages that were not already installed which is why I have a lot more window manager choices than the standard 'Zorin' themes. I also used solid colour for background using the color wheel to select dark grey. My point about the Zorin menu is that it does not appear to match other themes chosen." here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14010&hilit=+xfce

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:33:42 pm

Hi pcfan5, that is correct!:

xfce-dusk.jpg

;) :D

pcfan5

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:05:20 am

ok. please tell me which package did you install , before I do something crazzy and how do I set the xfce desktop to be permanent...or to logg in always with it?

pcfan5

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:51:36 pm

I would like to add... yesterday I made the tried to logg in in xfce session and when I shouted down it , I select "save this session for future starts", that made a bit of a mess...since now in order to start I have to pass a little window that tells me to select "defaul" session and also comple a name if I want a new session, It isn't quite clear why Zorin Litte has this two desktop options , It is almost like the system wasn't unified and graphicaly the differences aren't big

pcfan5

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03:15 pm

Friends, the specific packages for xfce themes are theese:

shiki-colors-xfwm-theme
xfwm4-themes
* don't know which one did the trick to incorporate into appearence mannager the themes.

I also installed but don't sure these:
gtk2-engines-xfce

Update: they aren't worth the try...

anyway , on the other hand, and related to how to logg in default into xfce desktop, my Zorin litte got a bit broken once again, since I "save the session for later", and cannot undone.