This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Does Zorin Repesct Privacy Better Than, e.g, Ubuntu?

mdiemer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:47:20 pm

I remember the outrage when Ubuntu Unity (forget which version) had Amazon tracking enabled by default. Supposed they got rid of this. But I have been wary of them ever since. Also, they are such a large operation that I just worry about their behaviour in this matter. I have always felt that Zorin was better about this. Is this still true?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44:45 pm

Well if you look at privacy settings you should see that location services is switched off. The only remnants of what was deemed spyware is Zeitgeist element. In previous iterations of Zorin it had 3 elements to Zeitgeist and Wolfman said it was effectively spyware. Now the current release of Zorin 15 has one element of Zeitgeist embedded into Nautilus - this is not a Zorin thing but a Gnome thing. I made the sarcastic comment that perhaps Gnome Devs were paid up members of the Zeitgeist movement. As far as I can tell, the Zeitgeist element that is within Nautilus is in respect of 'History' - document history, search history etc to do with Nautilus. As I said at the start, location services are turned off but if you want to use the Weather app then you will need to turn this on.

MBMz10

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50:35 pm

This is worth a read https://zorinos.com/legal/privacy/ Information we collect section likely has what you're after, maybe the very last line?
When you take the time to go through 'the fine print' of many 'services' things look a little different.

I recall the back lash about Ubuntu/Amazon that you mentioned, was rather a stir in the Linux community at the time.

Having begun reading many privacy policies and related material my world view has shifted recently. Often it is plain and simple "we use, sell, share, do whatever we want" with your info.

Linux Zorin/Mint etc is still better than M$ or Fakebook and co however, for whatever reason, maybe because it isn't obvious like a camera and mic, spying or privacy settings as 'they' prefer to call it, seems to the norm in the Technology World that we now live in. At least a black van outside your house can be seen!

Nineteen Eighty-Four is here!
To use a musical reference from The Alan Parson's Project, I am the eye in the sky looking at you...

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01:50 pm

MBMz10 wrote:This is worth a read https://zorinos.com/legal/privacy/ Information we collect section likely has what you're after, maybe the very last line?
When you take the time to go through 'the fine print' of many 'services' things look a little different.

I recall the back lash about Ubuntu/Amazon that you mentioned, was rather a stir in the Linux community at the time.

Having begun reading many privacy policies and related material my world view has shifted recently. Often it is plain and simple "we use, sell, share, do whatever we want" with your info.

Linux Zorin/Mint etc is still better than M$ or Fakebook and co however, for whatever reason, maybe because it isn't obvious like a camera and mic, spying or privacy settings as 'they' prefer to call it, seems to the norm in the Technology World that we now live in. At least a black van outside your house can be seen!

Nineteen Eighty-Four is here!
To use a musical reference from The Alan Parson's Project, I am the eye in the sky looking at you...

1984 happened before the actual year - my late Dad was talking to a Sergeant in the Police force who worked in the Village Police Station that one day when the boss was out the safe was open and he found a dossier on himself which had more information on him than he knew about himself - and that was in the 1950's. ;)

And in Oz it is getting worse I fear with the raid on Abc broadcasting - a clear assault on the Freedom of the Press! :evil:

MBMz10

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:36:45 am

I think it was written in about 1948, such foresight! Down under was a geographic reference when viewing the globe as it is usually displayed, now it means down the drain and under the thumb of big brother.

Free speech, freedom of the press? UK France USA and many other countries as well. Censorship on social media platforms and on it goes.
These are some of the reasons privacy is so important today! Lets not get political here or hijack the OP thread too much. Linux is a good start in countering all this negative stuff.

mdiemer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07:51 pm

Right on, MBMz10. You do what you can. There are many who just say, "There's no privacy left, why bother?" That's exactly the attitude they want you to have. Be good little boys and girls, share your stuff, let us make money off you. And eventually, perhaps, decide who lives and dies? Totalitarianism can have many forms. The latest is Big Tech. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, as Dylan said (Thomas, not Bob).

MBMz10

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09:12 pm

mdiemer wrote:Right on, MBMz10. You do what you can. There are many who just say, "There's no privacy left, why bother?" That's exactly the attitude they want you to have. Be good little boys and girls, share your stuff, let us make money off you. And eventually, perhaps, decide who lives and dies? Totalitarianism can have many forms. The latest is Big Tech. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, as Dylan said (Thomas, not Bob).

Spot on.