This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Enterprise features?

ImpWarfare

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:15:37 pm

With Zorin Group doing the Enterprise Management tool for organizations/business etc which they stated will be released later this year if they're on track. Will the development team do more Enterprise-related features and Government-related features for Zorin OS in the future to make it Government-ready like for example the American and British Governments and make it compliant apparently the last time the groups twitter team responded they said that Zorin will be aiming for Government users will that mean we'll eventually see more features on the system and for the Enterprise sector?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05:54 pm

I would hope so. Come January next year a council in UK is facing a bill of £127M pounds to upgrade its IT resources to Windows 10 and the cost of using it will double in price by 2025. At the LUG I attend, a member informed me that M$ helped in getting the current mayor of Munich elected so that government computers there would no longer be using GNU/Linux. Munich was the first European City to ditch Windows entirely and now M$ has succeeded in effectively raising taxes of Munich citizens to pay for its Government to go back to bloated software with pricing to match.

ImpWarfare

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08:29 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would hope so. Come January next year a council in UK is facing a bill of £127M pounds to upgrade its IT resources to Windows 10 and the cost of using it will double in price by 2025. At the LUG I attend, a member informed me that M$ helped in getting the current mayor of Munich elected so that government computers there would no longer be using GNU/Linux. Munich was the first European City to ditch Windows entirely and now M$ has succeeded in effectively raising taxes of Munich citizens to pay for its Government to go back to bloated software with pricing to match.

I find it surprising that Microsoft had helped the mayor of Munich to switch from Linux to Windows 10 doesn't Microsoft keep saying that they "love" Linux now? Also if Munich's Linux system was updated more they wouldn't be struggling on outdated software and if they had focused on getting an upgrade process in place with up-to-date software's as well like Zorin now has and Ubuntu had in place which allows us to upgrade to a newer version.

On another note it would be nice seeing more and more Enterprise-grade features on Zorin and for the operating system so that organizations like for example the NHS would be tempted to switch to Zorin OS for its systems but they would probably need a Server edition also which I hope the company creates in the future after the Zorin Grid is released.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21:48 am

Munich was a unique "experiment" as the software was written by Munich GNU/Linux engineers to meet local needs. That's what I read when it was first taking place. ;)

grgnday

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08:10 am

But this doesn’t mean they will stop focusing on regular users right? I saw that they said they want to focus on enterprise but not become an OS just made for government or enterprise use

ImpWarfare

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:01:27 pm

grgnday wrote:But this doesn’t mean they will stop focusing on regular users right? I saw that they said they want to focus on enterprise but not become an OS just made for government or enterprise use

Last time I had a response from Zorin's Twitter team they stated that they'll be continuing improvements for regular users but will also create and do improvements for the Enterprise sector (inc. Government) use.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:36:46 pm

grgnday wrote:But this doesn’t mean they will stop focusing on regular users right? I saw that they said they want to focus on enterprise but not become an OS just made for government or enterprise use

They are working on deployment package for Enterprise. Currently trying to finalise Zorin 15 Lite. ;) :D

carloseguez

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16:37 pm

Is there any news about Zorin Grid state or delivery date?

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:08:52 pm

Apparently- today.
https://zorinos.com/grid/

star treker

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:17:38 am

I will say this right now. If any government makes the huge mistake of putting Windows on their government agency computer terminals, Microsoft will steal state secrets and sell them to the highest bidder. Microsoft installed tons of backdoors in their modern Windows 10 OS, and I don't even think the greatest of firewalls could plug all the holes they've left in their OS to spy on you. Any government who actually knows what they are doing, will run Linux on their terminals, backed by several firewall layers, and on-call IT security at the ready at all times, should a problem arise.

If Microsoft is bribing politicians to make policy change, that should be considered a huge law break, enough to cripple Microsoft should the government decide to apply federal charges on the company. But knowing how things actually work in this world, Microsoft will get away with it, the politician in question will get away with it, and everything will go to H E double hockey sticks in a hand basket.