This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Would this tutorial work in Zorin 15?

mdiemer

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29:11 pm

https://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-to ... ng-ubuntu/

The above tutorial is for creating a separate home partition, so you can reinstall Ubuntu without losing your documents. and also have the same home folder for your various systems in a multi-boot computer. I have Zorin 15 plus two other Linux systems, along with Windows 7. But I'll ignore windows, I just would like to create one Home for the three Linuxes. That way when I save something in one, it will be easily available in the others.

As for the other Linuxes, one is Ubuntu-based, but the other is a "from-scratch" Linux. I realize I may need support from their forums to complete the process, but can I at least get the new Home created with this tutorial?

Thanks,

Mike

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:05:54 am

Hi, that tutorial was based on 12.04 and I have already written something similar inasmuch you can reinstall your system without losing /home... but... this will only work well if you chose the something else method. When you start sharing one /home amongst many GNU/Linux systems you could be asking for trouble further down the line. This is probably the best alternative:

https://vimeo.com/266410509

mdiemer

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:24:56 pm

Thanks. The more I think about it, the more I think it's probably not worth the effort I'll probably screw it up somehow, there's just too many steps and I'm not good enough with terminal work. There are other ways to get documents from Zorin to my other Linux systems, and vice versa. I'll just use those. For example, an external hard drive. A "home away from home," if you will.

mdiemer

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:59:47 pm

Actually, I thought of an easier way: Make a folder named "Zorin" for documents generated while on Zorin. Make one for each Linux system in the same way. Then I will know which docs were made where. I can periodically copy that folder to the other Linux systems. Much easier and safer than attempting to create a Home partition which all systems could access. Even if you do it during installation, you still have to configure the other systems to recognize and use it. Unless you install all systems at the same time. but who ever does that?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02:29 am

mdiemer wrote:Actually, I thought of an easier way: Make a folder named "Zorin" for documents generated while on Zorin. Make one for each Linux system in the same way. Then I will know which docs were made where. I can periodically copy that folder to the other Linux systems. Much easier and safer than attempting to create a Home partition which all systems could access. Even if you do it during installation, you still have to configure the other systems to recognize and use it. Unless you install all systems at the same time. but who ever does that?

:D ... on diffferent drives! :D :D :D