This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Anyone having issues with Zorin Connect on Ultimate 15?

JeffK969

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22:55 pm

Hello,
Recently installed Ultimate 15. Last night I had a few minutes so I tried to connect my cell with Zorin Connect.
Cell: Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro. Andriod 6.0.1
I tried several things on my pc. Turned off Firewall. Turned back on and made 'Rules' in firewall. Tried reinstalling both phone app and Zorin Connect on PC, rebooted both several times.
Verified USB connection from phone was good, pc detected andriod device.. Went through settings. Couldn't find anything. FYI, when I used Core, it found it. But only for original install.
Never got around to playing with it more to figure it out.
Followed these steps:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... n-connect/

My cell device was never found. After 75 minutes, just stopped trying... Cried and went to bed...

Screenshot from 2019-10-17 22-57-37.png

Aravisian

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:08:43 pm

I have never used the Zorin Connect feature, although I do want to. As an ebay seller, that could come in very handy.
I am working with Zorin 15 core that I destroyed Gnome on and installed XFCE with a large variety of tweaks- long list. While Zorin Connect worked fine with core, it does not work at all on the Z 15 rig with XFCE. However, it DOES work fine on Xubuntu 18.04 - So that makes it clear it can be done. Some modifying is needed that I do not know the procedure to.
I had started trying from source and what I found is that Zorin Connect is based on KDEConnect. Also included you may need the Gnome Extension:
https://github.com/ZorinOS/gnome-shell- ... in-connect
Troubleshooting following procedures on those two may help.

JeffK969

Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48:00 pm

Will try Sunday night, have busy weekend ahead. Thanks,,, oh, btw, I've never done it successfully, but is there a correct way to download from github? I'm unfamiliar and have had lack of success....

Was also wondering if I should have tried just using wifi instead of usb... Help, any help.... someone...

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:58:32 pm

It is also based on GSConnect too! I have been having some issues after:

a) Update of installed desktop version
b) Update of Android version which you can also get from F-droid, not just Google Play.

I've posted my issues under feedback. Interestingly I recently downloaded the Education version of Zorin 15 and Zorin Connect worked flawlessly in live mode! :o :shock: Although I could not get sync with Firefox add-on to use phone as remote/web browser mirror.

JeffK969

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:30:03 am

I figured it out, after many searches....lol First, I ran the following in the terminal to set the rules for the firewall.
sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/udp
sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/tcp
sudo ufw reload

from this link --> https://community.kde.org/KDEConnect#firewalld

I also went through wifi, I did NOT use the USB cable from my phone to pc. Quickly showed up and then was able to pair... So the instructions on previous link is what was screwing me up. I don't believe it was the firewall, because I turned that off. So now I am hooked up and just need to learn how to use it... Special Note: I used KDE Connect to hook up my Dell laptop which runs Linux Mint XFCE 19.2, wanted to try it out for my Zorin Lite 15 install. It works smoothly... I'm happy...

Aravisian

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:17:15 am

JeffK969 wrote:oh, btw, I've never done it successfully, but is there a correct way to download from github? I'm unfamiliar and have had lack of success....

GitHub:
On the right side, you will see a green button that says "Clone or Download."
Hit it.
Select Downlaod as zip, then select your archive manager, whichever you like to use. Extract it using the archive manager to your downloads folder.
Now that you have the extracted file, you will need to install it.
Go to the Downloaded file and enter it, then right click in an open area and select "Open in terminal."
If your file manager lacks this option, it sucks. Instead, hit ctl-alt-t to open terminal from Home Folder, then Change Directory to go where you need to go.
Code:
cd /home/USER/Downloads/CrapIJustDownloaded/

Now that you have an open terminal in that folder, you will see it as your address in the terminal prior to the $ sign.
It should look like, "~/Downloads/CrapIJustDownloaded$"
From here, enter in terminal
Code:
./configure

A bunch of who knows what will fly by and then, you must Read The Output.
At this point, it will notify you of missing dependencies. If any are missing, you will have to track them down and install them.
If all is cherry, then proceed with terminal:
Code:
make

then
Code:
sudo make install

Missing dependencies are the real killer with this method. And sometimes, you get that wild goosechase of such and such dependency is missing this other dependency which you track down and try to install and it is missing this other dependency and you track that down and try to install it but it is missing this new dependency which you track down and try to install and it whines about this yet still new missing dependence and you put an axe through your monitor, rip off your shirt, tilt back your head and clutching your eggs fervently in your left hand, howl at the moon.

Or, just try using Synaptic.

JeffK969

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:03:09 pm

Thanks Aravisian. Saved this in my Fav's links for reference the next time I go to github.

JeffK969

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:57:37 am

Recently installed Ultimate Lite 15. I wanted to download Zorin Connect and sync it with my cell.
It's not in 'Software'....? But KDE Connect is.. Weird. I downloaded Synaptic and downloaded via
searching for Zorin connect. Doesn't work on Lite 15 Ultimate. However KDE works on Linux Mint XFCE.
Thought they were the same?

Aravisian

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:36:12 am

JeffK969 wrote:I wanted to download Zorin Connect and sync it with my cell. It's not in 'Software'....? But KDE Connect is.. Weird.

Jeff, Zorin Connect includes GSConnect which is Gnome Shell based. It will only work on Gnome Desktop.
KDEConnect, however, can work on XFCE4 desktop- I have it working just fine on my edition.
Please see this post here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=66831#p66831

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:51:28 pm

OK, just updated the app on phone and on PC. Found my issue - firewall! Had to turn off Deny incoming and is now working! :D

My only issue is it keeps coming up with "No storage location found" ? :?

JeffK969

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:37:25 am

Hi Swarf, I just reinstalled Ultimate 15 (Replaced Ult Lite 15, which was on desktop & laptop, this way I can learn both). Having the same 2 issues. How did you fix the deny incoming,
because every incoming test I receive this error:

Screenshot from 2019-12-15 21-06-36.png

And I'm also getting this, which I've just been googling, haven't found anything yet: And it's annoying...

Screenshot from 2019-12-15 21-18-31.png

JeffK969

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:50:21 am

OK, found this, but everything was 'checked' except for Receive Notifications... Everything is now checked, will have to wait and see....

That message means that you haven't configured any storage locations in the KDE Connect app on the Android end — in recent Android versions, the "Filesystem expose" plugin needs to be granted permission to access to directories before they can be opened remotely.
If you go into the app and view the paired device, you should see a message about the "Filesystem expose" plugin, or you can directly access its settings from the "Plugin settings" menu.

JeffK969

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:57:20 am

OK, that wasn't the fix... But here's what I think just maybe... On the main screen when you open Zorin Connect, the filesystem expose thing was listed. I created a folder on the sd card for it to go to, and hope now that solves it.... (Sorry, didn't do a screen shot from phone)

But still not receiving sms messages.... Swarf, want to send me a msg? lol

JeffK969

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:09:38 am

Swarf, did you mean change the 'Deny' to 'Allow' on the firewall? I thought the rules would allow for incoming? Is it safe to change the incoming to allow?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49:39 pm

I think it should be assigned a port - will PM AZorin later - currently at lunch. I didn't get the issue (top image of first submission in your first post today). I got an error message which advised to look at logs - which is where I found the issue. If you look at the desktop app there is a way of looking at the apps logs - sorry, can't remember where the link is in the app. That should throw more light on the issue. Yes I am a bit concerned about allowing incoming - there has to be a way of assigning a port. Also I change router when my issues started. I might have to do some fettling with the TP-Link router. ;) :D

Aravisian

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:03:30 pm

I did 1714:1764.

JeffK969

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:10:12 pm

sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/udp & sudo ufw allow 1714:1764/tcp
This should work, so there shouldn't be a need to allow incoming. Correct? Or am I wrong again...

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:39:51 pm

You can specify the IP of your mobile - if you want to know what it is if you want to save time searching in settings download this app:

Whose on my wifi - Network scanner (by Magdalm).

Then in a terminal enter:

Code:
sudo ufw allow from 198.51.100.0
- replace the example IP with your mobile's.

[Source: https://www.linode.com/docs/security/fi ... -with-ufw/]