This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ayuda con Zorinos 12.4 Lite para instalar .exe

Edwinboy00

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:49:23 pm

Hola soy nuevo y necesito de su valiosa ayuda. Mi PC es algo vieja y recientemente instale ZorinSO 12.4 Lite he intentado instalar programas .exe sin tener éxito, lo he intentado a través del cine que trae o del playlinux y nada. Mi PC es:
Procesador: Intel átomos CPU N455 1.67GHz
Ram: 1Gb
Sistema de 32 bits
Disco de 250 GB
Y tengo instalado Windows 7 y Zorinos OS 12.4 Lite juntos.

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:27:55 am

Edwinboy00 wrote:Hola soy nuevo y necesito de su valiosa ayuda. Mi PC es algo vieja y recientemente instale ZorinSO 12.4 Lite he intentado instalar programas .exe sin tener éxito, lo he intentado a través del cine que trae o del playlinux y nada. Mi PC es:
Procesador: Intel átomos CPU N455 1.67GHz
Ram: 1Gb
Sistema de 32 bits
Disco de 250 GB
Y tengo instalado Windows 7 y Zorinos OS 12.4 Lite juntos.

I usually install programs using the Terminal or Synaptic Package Manager, if not from source code with "/.configure, make, sudo make install"
Open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and install synaptic using:
Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

https://www.lifewire.com/guide-to-synap ... er-2205707

Since you have dual boot - Windows 7 and Zorin, you have no need for PlayOnLinux. Just install Windows Programs on your Windows Partition normally.

Edwinboy00

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:38:35 am

ok thank you for answering i will read the information you sent me and i will try it, i will be informing you of the results, i hope you can serve me and it is just my first experience with linux and I really want to learn new things. And well, what I really want is to install the windows programs in Linux since I don't want to use any more windows, but they are programs that I usually work with. That's why I'm interested in installing them in Linux.

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:51:07 am

Edwinboy00 wrote:ok thank you for answering i will read the information you sent me and i will try it, i will be informing you of the results, i hope you can serve me and it is just my first experience with linux and I really want to learn new things.

This new experience is going to be very different from your Microsoft experience. There is a lot to learn. Learning it is easy, however, and once you become adept with the operating system, you will find you have much more control. Switching to Linux is very liberating.
I left Microsoft and joined Linux using the Zorin Operating System. It was a rough start and I struggled a lot. Now, I will never use Microsoft products again.
With Microsoft, you have automatic installers. With Linux, you have many more options on how to install. You have much more control. Linux is modular and Microsoft is not modular, with the Microsoft Operating System being static. Developments within Microsoft are 'in-house' rather than free and independent as it is within Linux.
This means that with Linux, sometimes you need to patch software or install it in a different way than you normally might.
Welcome to Zorin and Good Luck. If you have questions, please always ask.

Esta nueva experiencia va a ser muy diferente de su experiencia en Microsoft. Hay mucho que aprender. Aprender es fácil, sin embargo, y una vez que se convierten en adepto con el sistema operativo, usted encontrará que tiene mucho más control. Cambiar a Linux es muy Liberador.
Dejé Microsoft y me uní a Linux usando el sistema operativo Zorin. Fue un comienzo difícil. Ahora, nunca volveré a usar productos de Microsoft.
Con Microsoft, usted tiene instaladores automáticos. Con Linux, tienes muchas más opciones sobre cómo instalar. Tienes mucho más control. Linux es modular y Microsoft no es modular, con el sistema operativo de Microsoft siendo estático. Los desarrollos dentro de Microsoft son' internos ' en lugar de libres e independientes como lo es dentro de Linux.
Esto significa que con Linux, a veces necesitas parchear software o instalarlo de una manera diferente de la que normalmente podrías hacer.
Bienvenido a Zorin y Buena Suerte. Si tiene preguntas, por favor, siempre hágalas.

Edwinboy00

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:26:54 am

hey I was reading but apparently with synaptic I can't install .exe programs on linux and that is exactly what I want to do at least until I get used to linux completely. Because from my PC they are installed with wine but when trying to open it they do not open. And for playlinux I always get errors that I don't know how to fix them.

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:59:58 am

Edwinboy00 wrote:hey I was reading but apparently with synaptic I can't install .exe programs on linux and that is exactly what I want to do at least until I get used to linux completely. Because from my PC they are installed with wine but when trying to open it they do not open. And for playlinux I always get errors that I don't know how to fix them.

Ah, ok. Synaptic is for installation of Linux Software on Linux, only (generally).

For what you would like to do:
First, you need to upgrade your version of Wine. If you are using the base that came with Zorin 12.4 lite, then it will not work so well. It came with Wine 3.
Let's fix that, first. Upgrade to Wine 4.
Grab the key using your terminal
Code:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

Next get the architecture that you will need
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Give apt the key
Code:
sudo apt-key add winehq.key

Remind you of a famous RPG, yet? O_o
Add the repository
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

As always
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Then install a working Wine 4
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Now, try installing your .exe files using the Wine Program installer as normal. You may need more things like Gecko, but it should offer it automatically.

If all of the above fails, you may need to look into Valve's similar product called "Proton." I have neither tested nor used proton at this time. I will get around to it...

Edwinboy00

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:09:28 pm

Good day, ok I will try what you say, although I read on the internet that I must uninstall wine first and I already did it through what you taught me about synaptic. I'm going to work on that and let you know how I'm doing.

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:18:12 pm

Edwinboy00 wrote:Good day, ok I will try what you say, although I read on the internet that I must uninstall wine first and I already did it through what you taught me about synaptic. I'm going to work on that and let you know how I'm doing.

No, you don't need to uninstall Wine, first. But it is ok if you did. When you install Wine4, it will install the same way. If you do not uninstall Wine3, first, when you install Wine4, it replaces Wine 3. So whether you uninstall first or not makes no difference.

Edwinboy00

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:46:50 pm

Ready to download it but I don't know how to put it to work or run it, download the gecko too. How do I run the program to start using it?

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:05:07 pm

Edwinboy00 wrote:Ready to download it but I don't know how to put it to work or run it, download the gecko too. How do I run the program to start using it?

Edwin, I gave you complete instructions above. Please follow these instead of downloading and trying to install manually, for now.

Grab the key using your terminal
Code:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

Next get the architecture that you will need
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Give apt the key
Code:
sudo apt-key add winehq.key

Remind you of a famous RPG, yet? O_o
Add the repository
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

As always
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Then install a working Wine 4
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Now, try installing your .exe files using the Wine Program installer as normal. You may need more things like Gecko, but it should offer it automatically.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23:54 pm

Due to Microsoft hiding patents for their software contributions to GNU/Linux, if you have a powerful enough machine I would:

1. make a note of your Certificate of Authenticity.
2. De-activate your Windows 7 installation
3. Backup any critical data and any downloaded installation programs for windows.
4. Start with a clean drive
5. Install GNU/Linux, giving yourself plenty enough room for '/home'
6. Install the latest version of Oracle Virtual Box for [GNU/]Linux, including the extension pack.
7. If you don't have a Windows 7 installation disc get one from the link I provided in the 'howto' section.
8. Put your install CD of Windows in your optical drive.
9. Launch Virtual Box and create a new 'Virtual Hard Drive' that is dynamic (will grow as needed).
10. Install Windows 7 to the new virtual hard drive. Bear in mind this will work for normal stuff - don't expect great results on trying to run Games that need a lot of graphics!

This is how I set up 32-bit version of Windows 7 on FerenOS on another drive. ;) :D

Edwinboy00

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:39:33 pm

Ready I already installed it and put to work install adobe Photoshop and I have not given problems, install MPC-HC but it looks bad the video playback and does not give audio. What can it be? I only need to install three programs to not return to Windows Photoshop, MPC-HC and Office (powerpoint) mainly

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:48:29 pm

Edwinboy00 wrote:Ready I already installed it and put to work install adobe Photoshop and I have not given problems, install MPC-HC but it looks bad the video playback and does not give audio. What can it be? I only need to install three programs to not return to Windows Photoshop, MPC-HC and Office (powerpoint) mainly

Does LibreOffice not satisfy?

Ok let's look at MPC-HC.
I looked up the specs and yes, it is known to work poorly on Wine4.
You might try a Linux Version: https://www.videohelp.com/software/mpc-qt
Scroll down to the line that says
"Download Media Player Classic Qute Theater 18.08 Linux 214KB Linux"

Another option would be to use VMWare Virtualbox to run a Virtual Windows on your computer instead of using Wine. Swarfendor can probably teach you how to work VMWare better than I can. The VMware would Run the Windows OS you choose, not emulate it.

I suspect you have certain configuration for WMP-Classic that you want to keep. Because there are Many Linux Media Players available that Rock hardcore.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:56:26 pm

HI Aravisian,

I don't use VMWare because you have to pay for that! Virtual Box is free and is best to download from Oracle Site. Apart from LibreOffice you might like to give Soft-Maker Office. I took advantage of their offer of Soft Maker Office 2018 for £23 something for a 5 pc licence of both Windows and Linux! You can trial the software to see if it plays your Presentations correctly.

Also for Photo Manipulation I use dark-table and GIMP - that meets all my needs - and you can apply Adobe filters in Dark-table which is another great free product and available for use on all 3 platforms and developed by professional photographers - try the Windows version - I'm sure you will like it. ;) :D

Aravisian

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't use VMWare because you have to pay for that

See why you are better suited for that guide? I already made a mess of it. I thought VMWare and Virtualbox were the same thing. :P

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08:13 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't use VMWare because you have to pay for that

See why you are better suited for that guide? I already made a mess of it. I thought VMWare and Virtualbox were the same thing. :P

This is why I don't use VMWare (even if it is 'superior' to VB):

https://store.vmware.com/store?Action=h ... teID=vmwde :shock: :o

Virtual Box:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:24:15 pm

I've just done (a half-cocked) install of Windows 7 on Zorin 15 video recording using vokoscreen corder as easyscreencast is no longer working (and not just for me!):

Will take a bit of time and I may not get it finished 'til next weekend. ;) :D