This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite 15 - Share your Tips & Tricks

JeffK969

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:13:40 pm

Hello,
I thought I'd start a thread for those so inclined to share any tips & tricks that you have used to improve, enhance your Zorin Lite 15 (and Ultimate Lite 15) experience.
So far, I've added the Whisker Menu right next the the Zorin Lite Menu so I can use Favorites & Recently Used. Because I like them both. Both menus have advantages
and no one has combined the two yet, that I know of...lol I did this by reaching out to my pal Aravisian, and followed his instructions

Aravisian wrote:If it is Zorin 12.4 lite, which is based on Xubuntu, then you must be using the XFCE4 panel. Have you tried using the WhiskerMenu?

Code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Once installed, right click your panel, hover over "Panel" and then move to the right in the pop-over menu to "Panel Preferences." Add item, then select the Whisker menu by scrolling down to it in the pop up window. Once added to the panel, you can right click it and select "Move" to move it to a new location on the panel. Right clicking it again, you can change its properties such as Icon, title, appearance and so on. Size can be adjusted easily using the pull-tab on the upper right side.
Both menus can be customized to some degree by using "Alacarte" or "Menulibre". Neither of these will do what you asked, however and remove the software channel from the Zorin Arc Menu- I have already tried it. They will remove it from WhiskerMenu. Both menu's are binary and are harder to access to modify than something that was written in .css or another language.
technoweary wrote: or maybe group my regularly used applications somewhere in the Start. I could not find a way to do this and wonder if it is possible?

The Whiskermenu does this; though I have that feature disabled on mine. It has a Recently Used Category and a Favorites Category that will perform this function.

Screenshot_2019-11-28_09-49-02.png
Screenshot_2019-11-28_09-49-02.png (23.14 KiB)

So please, add whatever you want to this thread. Helping each other is what it's all about. Well, so is the hokey pokey I guess...

JeffK969

Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:26:21 pm

Want to use Zorin Connect on Ulmate Lite 15, or Lite 15....??? Give this a try:

you should be able still use Zorin Connect in the Lite editions by downloading the Zorin Connect Android app on your phone and installing the
KDE Connect indicator with these 3 Terminal commands:
sudo apt install kdeconnect
sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
sudo flatpak install flathub com.github.bajoja.indicator-kdeconnect

Zorin Connect works on the same protocol as KDE Connect, so the KDE Connect desktop-side software is interchangeable with that of Zorin
Connect, and most (if not all) functionality should work identically. (

htt200610200

Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:01:19 am

AppCenter of Elementary OS has a lot of exclusive apps, and most are pretty high quality
when it comes to design and usefulness, you can add its AppCenter on Zorin OS !

https://askubuntu.com/questions/955227/how-to-install-elementary-os-appcenter-on-ubuntu
If you're on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS you can install AppCenter from elementary OS PPA.

Step 1: Add the PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/stable
sudo apt update
Step 1.1: For releases newer than 16.04LTS
If you're on an Ubuntu release newer than 16.04 LTS, use the following Daily PPA instead:

(I have had success with daily on 16.04 as well)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/daily
sudo apt update
Step 2: Add elementary Apps repo
AppCenter is supposed to add this repository automatically, but that may not always happen. Add the repo and it's key:

sudo bash -c 'echo "deb http://packages.elementary.io/appcenter $(lsb_release -sc) main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/appcenter.list'
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/appcenter.asc http://packages.elementary.io/key.asc
sudo apt update
Step 3: Install AppCenter
Then all you have to do is install the appcenter package:

sudo apt install appcenter
If the installation fails due to unmet dependencies on 16.04 LTS, add this PPA for PackageKit

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ximion/packagekit
sudo apt update
and try again to install. When it's installed successfully, the launcher for AppCenter should show up in App Dash.

Aravisian

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:28:07 pm

I have never used Elementary OS or its App Center. I will try this out. Thanks for the great tip.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32:48 pm

I soon turned my back on elementary OS due to its fanatical inclusion of Geary! YUK! Nice wallpapers though! :lol:

grimtraveller

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:27:20 am

Hi folks !
My name is grimtraveller and I live in London. I'm completely new to Linux and at the moment I'm getting my feet wet with OS 15 Lite. I'm completely untechnical and don't understand much of the lingo.
However, I've never been a fan of any of the wallpapers {even when I was on Windows} so one of the first things I did was to import all my photographs and right click on the one of my choice and hey presto ! I now have the one of my choice which I can change at will.
I know it's no great shakes but I often notice when watching videos on various aspects of Linux or the various distros, that virtually all the video makers comment on the wallpapers and how lovely or unsatisfactory they are but as yet, I've not seen anyone have their own pics as wallpaper.
Just thought I'd throw that one in to say hello.