This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin dual boot installation

Realdale

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39:33 am

Hello,
I want to replace windows 7 64bit, so I purchased Zorin ultimate. Because there are some applications in windows that I still need, I decided to continue using windows. So, I'm trying to install Zorin OS. I tried Balenetcher, Rufus and unetbootin, but nothing worked. I kept getting "no operation system detected" error message. How do I get around this issue.
I want to replace windows, but there is no guarantee that the windows application will work.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:19:56 pm

I would have chosen Rufus. Did you format the USB to FAT32?

mdiemer

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:11:21 pm

are you selecting the USB drive to boot from? This means pressing an Fn key on your keyboard to bring up the boot menu, and then selecting "hard drive." The USB is considered a hard drive. It should be listed under the Hard drive option of your computers boot menu. Then just select it.

Also, you may need to disable "secure boot." To disable it, you need to enter the computers bios. Once again, you do this by hitting a Fn key on your keyboard. For example, on my old desktop, I hit F2. I tap it a few times as the computer is starting. Similarly, I tap F10 to get the boot menu. Once in the bios, you look for and disable secure boot, assuming your computer has that.

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:39:19 pm

Realdale wrote:Hello,
I want to replace windows 7 64bit, so I purchased Zorin ultimate. Because there are some applications in windows that I still need, I decided to continue using windows. So, I'm trying to install Zorin OS. I tried Balenetcher, Rufus and unetbootin, but nothing worked. I kept getting "no operation system detected" error message. How do I get around this issue.
I want to replace windows, but there is no guarantee that the windows application will work.

Also, when you select your partition, you must select the Mount Point
https://www.itechguides.com/no-root-fil ... s-defined/

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:40:45 pm

Aravisian wrote:
Realdale wrote:Hello,

Also, when you select your partition, you must select the Mount Point
https://www.itechguides.com/no-root-fil ... s-defined/

mdiemer wrote:are you selecting the USB drive to boot from? This means pressing an Fn key on your keyboard to bring up the boot menu, and then selecting "hard drive." The USB is considered a hard drive. It should be listed under the Hard drive option of your computers boot menu. Then just select it.

Also, you may need to disable "secure boot." To disable it, you need to enter the computers bios. Once again, you do this by hitting a Fn key on your keyboard. For example, on my old desktop, I hit F2. I tap it a few times as the computer is starting. Similarly, I tap F10 to get the boot menu. Once in the bios, you look for and disable secure boot, assuming your computer has that.

I recall that starting with Win7 and into win10, you needed to go into the Settings in Windows to turn off Fast Boot.
Swarfendow may be able to chime in on that one as I don't recall it very well.

EDIT: I meant to edit this into the above post. Instead, I double posted. I deserve to be fired.

Realdale

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14:26 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I would have chosen Rufus. Did you format the USB to FAT32?

It seem easier to install Zorin OS and get rid of Windows 7 altogether. However, I'm concern that I won't be able to use any or most of the applications that I have on windows. Is there a way to get around this? And how would I access my Office Suite applications I backup on my flash drive?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:22:27 am

Depending on the specification of your machine you could have Windows 7 running as a Virtual machine inside of Zorin. What are the applications by name please?