This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Direct Upgrades?

ImpWarfare

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40:30 pm

With the Zorin OS developers are stating that you'll be able to do direct upgrades is this still the case for Zorin OS 15 to Zorin OS 16? And if so how long will we or might we have to wait to do the direct upgrades and would this be a permanent feature for Zorin OS from now on since the 12.x release since you were able to upgrade that to v15.x.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:11:50 am

From listening to podcast interviews with Artyom Zorin I seem to remember that they don't intend issuing any more release numbers beyond 15 with the aim of creating a rolling release. ;) :D

ImpWarfare

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49:40 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:From listening to podcast interviews with Artyom Zorin I seem to remember that they don't intend issuing any more release numbers beyond 15 with the aim of creating a rolling release. ;) :D

hmm, that would be great if it was true but from what I heard on Artyom Zorin's Twitter account is when someone asked will Zorin OS be re-based on the 20.04 LTS release he responded stating yes and that Zorin OS 16 will be based on it. Do you know the timetable as to when we might see it transformed into a rolling release if the interview itself isn't fake news.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42:57 pm

My memory is bad! Actually LTS every 2 years it would appear:

https://youtu.be/S8fnOfyCW4o?t=1956

If the next major release is 16 based on 20.04 I would expect it to come out between 2 - 3 months - don't forget Zorin ensures that their tweaks applied to Ubuntu base need to work without glitches (which can't always be at zero) before general release. ;) :D

star treker

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48:01 am

I noticed you changed your avatar there SWARF, whats that from :?:

ImpWarfare

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My memory is bad! Actually LTS every 2 years it would appear:

https://youtu.be/S8fnOfyCW4o?t=1956

If the next major release is 16 based on 20.04 I would expect it to come out between 2 - 3 months - don't forget Zorin ensures that their tweaks applied to Ubuntu base need to work without glitches (which can't always be at zero) before general release. ;) :D

I'm patient I can wait 2-3 months for the next release, at least we no longer have to do a clean install any more and will eventually receive the direct upgrades.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49:25 pm

star treker wrote:I noticed you changed your avatar there SWARF, whats that from :?:

I was trying in vain to reduce an avatar I fancied - decided I'd choose a stock 'STOP' icon from the High Contrast Accessibility icons that come with Zorin as that is the line of work I am employed with, thought it was a good reflection. It also doubles up as the (in)famous 'Black Spot' from Treasure Island! :lol:

star treker

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36:13 pm

Cool backstory SWARF, I like. :D