This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hey what happened to my desktop icons?

Clifford_Esler

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:41:04 pm

I was reorganizing some files into new folders but don't recall doing anything unusual with the desktop folder. Suddenly all file and app icons disappeared. I don't see a "display" option anywhere to check/uncheck HIDE DESKTOP CONTENTS or somesuch. Must be a simple solution. Any help out there?
-Cliff in Nova Scotia

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:12:01 pm

I've had this occasionally happen - have you tried logging out and back in again, powering off and back up again? Did this happen after a recent update? If it's a kernel conflict try booting in to an earlier version. If Zorin is the only OS on the machine you won't see GRUB at boot time - hold down the left shift key while booting to see GRUB and choose Advanced option then choose an earlier kernel to the one you have installed. ;) :D

NevC

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31:08 pm

I've had the same experience but usually restricted to when dragging images from the Browser to the desktop. Every now and then after I dragged an image to the desktop, the desktop went blank. However, I simply toggled "Zorin Appearance - Desktop - Icons on Desktop" switch and the desktop icons came back again.

star treker

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:34:47 am

Using XFCE desktop over Zorin OS, I've had the same issue. There is no resolution for this bug that I am aware of, and its not documented enough for anybody to care to fix it either. I used to be used to using my desktop space, as I had done that for all years of computing. But, I have now gotten used to the desktop space being clean, and I no longer need to use it for app or file icons. I can display Widgets instead on the desktop space, and use Nautilus or Thunar file managers to work with my files.

Desktop.jpg