This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wine removed?

Mintmag

Mon May 25, 2020 1:55:04 am

Hi there I'm just trying out the latest version of Zorin Core. However I can't seem to find Wine. Didn't it used to be pre installed, but I can't even find it in the Software center.

Swarfendor437

Mon May 25, 2020 10:18:37 pm

Just install a simple program like 7-zip for Windows and Wine will be requested to be installed. Wine is a security risk to the system - hence its removal. ;) :D

Mintmag

Tue May 26, 2020 1:34:01 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just install a simple program like 7-zip for Windows and Wine will be requested to be installed. Wine is a security risk to the system - hence its removal. ;) :D

Please tell me more, I'd like to know more about it's removal. I'm not complaining I just wish to know the risks involved and what developed is recent times to make this decision.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 26, 2020 2:01:40 pm

OK, you probably won't get you Linux infected but having WINE installed is a potential leak for malware to use WINE as a launchpad I suspect. Team Zorin decided to drop wine to make it more appealing to the Corporate Market - hence the inclusion of Evolution Mail as the mail client. To remove wine, first install synaptic package manager, then search for WINE - then mark all packages that come back as being installed for removal then click on apply. If you are talking about removing a certain Windows Application then when Wine is installed it should have a 'remove wine software' link in the Wine sub-menu of the main menu.

Mintmag

Tue May 26, 2020 2:36:05 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, you probably won't get you Linux infected but having WINE installed is a potential leak for malware to use WINE as a launchpad I suspect. Team Zorin decided to drop wine to make it more appealing to the Corporate Market - hence the inclusion of Evolution Mail as the mail client. To remove wine, first install synaptic package manager, then search for WINE - then mark all packages that come back as being installed for removal then click on apply. If you are talking about removing a certain Windows Application then when Wine is installed it should have a 'remove wine software' link in the Wine sub-menu of the main menu.

Thanks but that is still a guess. I was more hopping for an official statement from the team.

Also just as a side note is there a way to change the colors on this message bored. I can barely read the text.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 26, 2020 9:12:12 pm

Your best bet in terms of using the forum, but problematical if wanting to upload an image, would be to use something like Links 2 browser:

Links2.jpg

aj_bets

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:21:37 am

I am glad WINE is not included, good job.