This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

quel antivirus pour Zorinos

kad

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49:40 pm

Quels Antivirus me conseillez vous pour Zorinos 15.2 : :idea: :?:

English: Which Antivirus advise me for Zorinos 15.2

Aravisian

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:23:52 am

I prefer ClamAV

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22:08 pm

What Aravisian said - just turn off scanning for PUAs as the Windows version was/is? broken too!
But don't just think about AV - you should also install rkhunter and chrootkit to check for rootkits. ;) :D

Doncic

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43:47 pm

what? we really need an AV on linux? I know really few people that use it, but they use an AV if they use linux at work.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:45:20 pm

Just attended a virtual Linux User Group meeting and the lead has his own server and runs clamav on it every night via command-line and setup in cron-d for automated scans. ;) :D

Doncic

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28:17 am

I changed my mind
I thought that, since wine is preinstalled, we are at risk of windows based malwares.
so, since I don't need windows support here for now (dual boot w10-zorin), is it possible to safely disable/uninstall wine?

Aravisian

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47:27 am

Doncic wrote:I changed my mind
I thought that, since wine is preinstalled, we are at risk of windows based malwares.
so, since I don't need windows support here for now (dual boot w10-zorin), is it possible to safely disable/uninstall wine?

Yes, you can uninstall Wine with Synaptic, Software or a terminal command:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove wine-stable wine-stable-amd64

Doncic

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36:09 am

So just like every other software, thank you

star treker

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45:31 pm

As hard as it would be to believe, as it turns out, there is malware out for Linux now. Linux has had a pretty squeaky clean track record when it came to virus's, because all the virus's were made for Windows. But now that more and more people are switching to Linux, hackers notice this, and are now coding virus's for Linux.

So for now anyways, its smart to run an anti-virus scanner for Linux. I too use the built in scanner that came with Ultimate, ClamAV. The more people switch to Linux, the greater the risk more virus's are made for Linux, so it pays to be smart and prepared. And if you don't mind me saying, I think Apple and Microsoft are a disease that needs to be eradicated.

Aravisian

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58:16 pm

Agreed. There are already linux-based viruses out there. Swarfendor has, in the past, linked to warnings of them.
Linux has security steps that M$ lacks. For example, superuser privileges. Even so, there will always be ways around such.
Those that promote Linux as "safe from viruses" are just blowing smoke. It's better than Win-Systems, currently, but is not immune.

Doncic

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50:12 pm

I know there are /have been some malwares (even ransomware) for linux, but since they are not many, I feel pretty safe. I have not been infected for years on windows, and I don't have a third-party AV there

Aravisian

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:18:52 pm

Doncic wrote:I know there are /have been some malwares (even ransomware) for linux, but since they are not many, I feel pretty safe. I have not been infected for years on windows, and I don't have a third-party AV there

-chuckle- There is truth to the idea that susceptibility to Malware is directly related to web activity. ;)
I have not had either on Win XP pro or on Zorin since I switched over in many many years.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:37:33 pm

And don't forget to install rkhunter and chkrootkit to check for rootkits! ;) :D

I will post useful security info from last Linux User Group I virtually attended, when on desktop machine. Off pique at present! :(

Doncic

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03:38 am

Ok thank you, I will look for those to softwares

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:18:58 pm

This is not a simple install - you MUST be prepared to use the terminal! Follow this guide to the letter:

https://sourcedigit.com/16618-install-c ... u-systems/ - replace SSHGuard with 'sshguard' - no capitals in Ubuntu based applications - only Home folders! ;)

After installing SSHGuard whilst still in terminal, enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install iptables-persistent

;)

Doncic

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:22:55 pm

Aravisian wrote:

Code:

actually I can't find wine in the Software (among the installed app), that's why I thought it was hard to uninstall
and I can't find Synaptic too

my cpu is by Intel and 32bit, the terminal command is sill "...amd64"?

thank you

Aravisian

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:39:58 pm

Doncic wrote:
Aravisian wrote:

Code:

actually I can't find wine in the Software (among the installed app), that's why I thought it was hard to uninstall
and I can't find Synaptic too

my cpu is by Intel and 32bit, the terminal command is sill "...amd64"?

thank you

No, it would not be. I did not realize you were using 32 bit. Maybe I should have remembered.
For 32bit, try
Code:
wget -qO- https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -

If you are using Zorin 15:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/bionic main'

If you are using Zorin 12:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'

Next is:
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

OR

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine32

Doncic

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:19:32 pm

I use zorin lite 15
but I am confused, I have to uninstall it, not install it.

Doncic

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:51:25 pm

sorry guys, I must have misunderstood something.
Days ago a window like this showed up while downloading a .exe file ( sorry it's Italian) https://imgur.com/a/izowfDL , but it SUGGESTs you to install "windows support" (that I suppose is another name of wine), it does not say that it is already installed (I read somewhere that wine is preinstalled in zorin, but maybe not in the lite versione right?) so I suppose I don't have wine

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:04:32 pm

The last version of Zorin that shipped with WINE installed was 12.4 - so no, none of the 15.x iterations come with WINE - period. ;) :D

Doncic

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56:07 pm

thank you, sorry

Aravisian

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38:26 am

Doncic wrote:sorry guys, I must have misunderstood something.
Days ago a window like this showed up while downloading a .exe file ( sorry it's Italian) https://imgur.com/a/izowfDL , but it SUGGESTs you to install "windows support" (that I suppose is another name of wine), it does not say that it is already installed (I read somewhere that wine is preinstalled in zorin, but maybe not in the lite versione right?) so I suppose I don't have wine

I am sorry, I am the one who was confused. I gave installation instructions not long after you asked about removal.
Heh.

Well, yes, you can check if you have Wine on your distro with
Code:
wine --version

If it tells you the version, you have that version of wine. If it says command not found, then you do not have wine installed.
To remove, if you have it, just use
Code:
sudo apt-get remove wine

It looks like you were installing Chrome. You can install Chrome from a linux source, just search for Chrome for Linux.
Windows App Support is a package that is used alongside Wine that may be needed for some software that is written for Windows.

Doncic

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:58:06 am

Thank you, actually I don’t need chrome (I already have chromium), it was just an example to show you what makes me thought to wine

Anyway If I don’t see wine in Sofware among installed apps, I suppose I don’t have it, like @Swarfendor437 said