This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Difference between Zorin Lite and Ultimate

maccabbeo

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:26:49 pm

Hi to all,
unbelievable but true: I still do not understand the differences between the two versions (free version Vs paid version).

Unbelievable since I've been googling, I've been browsing this forum but no official answer. Unoffical answer is: paid version comes with more applications installed, has the Mac look-and-feel. No difference on the kernel, no difference on the general structure of the OS. So, except for the Mac look-and-feel, nothing more than what everyone can further install through Synaptic.

Waiting for the official reply.
Thanks,
regards.

RogaineRenegade

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:43:12 pm

Your unofficial answer is correct. Basically, by paying for the premium version, you're just helping to support the development of Zorin OS. I've bought a couple of premium versions now, not because I needed it, but to help out. Just because the core version is free, someone had to put a lot of work into it to making it happen. I know you're waiting on an "official" answer, but pretty sure it will be the same. Take care.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15:16 pm

Hi chaps,

more or less what has already been stated is true, the one thing missing is you (the donaters) can contact the devs directly for support whereas the users of the free version can (should) only use the forum, either way the mods and other users will try to help anyone who has a problem. Free or Ultimate; you will still get support from one source or another!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:39:27 pm

OK, to answer the thread title - Zorin Lite is there for lower spec machines such as older Notebooks with limited memory etc - and the other crucial difference is that Lite is built on Lubuntu, Core and Ultimate are based on Ubuntu. The difference between Free (Core) and Premium (Ultimate) editions are that you know the applications will work out of the box (unless you have some quirky hardware - and remember this will be down to hardware manufacturers not providing GNU/Linux drivers! :D

maccabbeo

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56:08 am

Thanks for your replies. It would be great to make such information more accessible on the web, since it has been impossible to me to find out such differences.
However, since I'm using Zorin Lite, are you telling me that I'm using a distribution more suitable to old hardware?

In fact, just few days ago I discovered that the latest Zorin Lite version is based on Ubuntu 13.04, at that was quite surprising to me since I expected it to be based on the very latest Ubuntu version.
Also, I found out there is the premium-zorin-os-modifications package listed by Synaptic. Will that enable all the Zorin Premium features? Will that include upgrading to a Zorin distro based to Ubuntu 13.10?

Thanks,
regards

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51:25 pm

Hi maccabeo, just adding those Zorin items will not automatically change you from Lite to Ulitmate. Are you sure that Lite is not Lubuntu 13.04? As I understand it Lubuntu bases it's distros on the core but trimmed down with different applications and therefore different dependencies (software libraries) and average life time has been 18 months. As I understand it Lite comes with 2 desktops, win2k and Gnome desktop - I haven't tried Zorin 7 lite as such, only 6.

Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases (on which Core and Ultimate versions are based - 6 = 12.04 LTS, 7 and 7.1 (13.04) 8 (13.10)

Lubuntu: the only LTS version remastered: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introduc ... 7352.shtml

I can't find lubuntu life-cycle apart from a facebook reference and I don't touch that with a barge pole! :mrgreen:

Wolfman

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57:17 pm

Hi all,

just for info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6266

Regards Wolfman :D

maccabbeo

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:46:44 am

Sorry to take to this thread back.
Still not sure whether I understand the differences between the different releases.
I think I installed Zorin 8 Free now (how to discover it?) which should be based on Ubuntu 13.10, which is different from Zorin 8 Lite which should be based on Lubuntu (13.10?), which should be different from Zorin Core and Zorin Ultimate and Zorin Premium.

Let's try to make it clear, please. I've been reading around but the situation is still confused to me. Hope some OFFICIAL reply can come.
Firstly: are Zorin Free and Zorin Core two different names for exactly the same release?
Secondly: are Zorin Ultimate and Zorin Premium two different names for exactly the same release?
Thirdly: except the support issues and the Mac look-and-feel, which other differences between Free, Core, Ultimate and Premium?
Fortly: how to manually get to Ultimate and Premium starting from Free or Core?

I think a reply one by one to the above questions will make it clear to me about Zorin.
Thanks a lot.
Waiting for an official reply.
Regards.

PD: who are the "official repliers" in this forum?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19:58 pm

Free versions are: Zorin Core, with major desktop, Zorin Lite (no current releases) based on Lubuntu (so named as it uses the LXDE (Light X(-org) Desktop Environment, Zorin Education.

Paid for Versions: Ultimate (=Premium - a Premium is what you pay!) - split into Ultimate, Multimedia, Business. I don't know which applications come on the last two. Basically, they put all the stuff you can get off synaptic/Software center and save you the time of having to install and then find something does not work properly. There was one business app that did not work properly in earlier versions of Zorin Ultimate and I did report this. What I can't understand is why they never bundle GNU/Cash with Ultimate version - can't comment on the Business one as it might be present.

Hope this clarifies things.

marcosdos

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33:36 pm

Can I access Internet Banking with the premium version on an old PC laptop?
I have the Zorin 9 OS which works great but I cant access my Internet Banking...
Thanks for any help!