Android based ui concept for a new generation

Re: Android based ui concept for a new generation

Postby Aravisian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am

3.)
Let's change that empty and small part...
Instead of it being rectangular, we can square it out.
We can then position it in a corner that we prefer it to be in, then set it to Autohide and reveal itself when you hover the mouse over it. Add our apps and icons to it and it is starting to take shape..
We can make the background translucent, transparent, colored, hold a photo image... I can also round out the corners, instead of sharp and square. I can adjust its width and length as much as I want in any direction. Ok, I cannot make it move at an angle across the screen...
It can hide when not being used and appear when I hover over it. That feature exists- granted, I personally dislike it and never use it but it's fine if others do.
I will not continue with the Imgur Demonstration with Photos, because I do not want to add that much outside linking to the forum server, but I think you get the idea.
Okay.... it is not exactly what you describe, but it is reasonably close. True, it cannot watch your movements and Think For You. For it to do that requires a Lot of actual real Bloatware to do that.
Yes, an O.S. CAN be made to do those things you describe but when it must think for you, then that space is occupied, not on your screen, perhaps, but on your drive and in your Processor. And it takes up a LOT more space than even the fattest of taskbars. That takes up a lot of computation, leaving little room for much else.
And from a developers point of view, they do not want to invest the time in creating Two distinct Operating Systems in one, then patching them both together, with all the additional problems that raises. They will opt for One System and try to limit the Bug Complaints and C.S. to follow.
It definitely does not leave room for the Standard that you dislike. So, if operating systems switched over to Your way, you would get what you want, and the rest of us would be trying to find an operating system that isn't so swollen, that can carry the types of customization and software we are accustomed to. That would be removed by necessity and frankly, unwillingness to over-burden themselves, by the developers.
Yes, what you describe is more advanced and more advanced comes at a price. Not just in processor resources and disk space, not just in technological limitations (When we develop Quantum Computing, perhaps?) but in losing the Standard we have to make room for your (And others that speak the same as you) request. I speak against your request because you wouldn't be paying that price- I would. You would be happy with the outcome because you would gain what you believe you do not have. But we others would lose what we have only for you to gain an unnecessary and bloated advancement over what You Already Have.
You may not agree; You may not BELIEVE that is how it would work it.

But IT IS.

We have already been paying that price. Gnu/Gnome has already geared toward it- Canonical has shifted its eyes that way and Git is now owned by Microsoft. We are losing ground, quickly.

If you are willing, I would be very happy to show you how you can Think For Yourself and take control of your desktop so that you can employ what you already have to the desires you have for it. Agreed... it will not position itself for you based on your work habits... You would have to position it yourself or reposition it if you decide later you dislike it holding that position.
Agreed, you would have to Tell it To AutoHide instead of it being fully automated for you.

But other than that... It would be very near to what you want. Yes, you would have to do some work yourself... You would have to learn what your current operating system is capable of...
OR, you can Buy Microsoft who are more than happy to do the work for you for a sum, then leave you hanging on the line when it breaks.
Aravisian

Postby nMaib0 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:49 am

Aravisian

Code: Select all
It requires so much, in fact, that it leaves little room for other options. The developer must then make a choice: To offer those features or to offer the Standard Features.
But getting both into One O.S. does not work out well.

What are you talking about, how is a rectangle with pinned applications and a few icons plus media player integration bloated? seems to me that you could build a standalone program with qt or something that accomplished just that. it's just a box with icons.

MS Windows users vaguely kind of asked and MS Windows company was More Than Eager to rush in with the bloatware and offer it up as Shiny, New, Advanced and Amazing.
And... the people bought it. Hook, line and sinker.

Microsoft doesn't have anything they have an awful and disorganized start menu that can be resized. I still fail to see how a rectangle with icons will make zorinOS bloated.

After reading that long text about resources and computations and whatnot I still wonder why making a square invisible and able to become visible is so different from hovering an icon and displaying a start menu when you click.

And I have no idea what you mean by teaching me to think for myself, seems to me that you are the cheap who uses something that everybody else uses and I actually want something that is there when I want it to be, not all the time.

By the way ZorinOS has problems with the taskbar mode too, I can't seem to place is left and vertical.
nMaib0

Postby nMaib0 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 am

I just replied to you but don't know why it didn't submit. Long story short, all desktop OSs have terrible way of using them, for me at least and no distro offers a solution.

by the way, ZorinOS has no vertical mode, autohide on top gets triggered and stops me from using firefox all the time, I can't order the bookmarked directories to my liking in the file explorer, I have terrible screen tearing due to having a hybrid gpu, Manually selecting updates fails because of dependencies so I have to be forced to install all of them, Installed mpv and it doesn't work. all within 20 minutes of using the OS.

Why is an OS that most people can't use and doesn't work out the box still called FREE? I don't understand.
nMaib0

Postby Aravisian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:21 am

nMaib0 wrote:I just replied to you but don't know why it didn't submit. Long story short, all desktop OSs have terrible way of using them, for me at least and no distro offers a solution.

It definitely sounds like you have very particular tastes and preferences. I believe that you should have an O.S. that meets your needs. I Do stand by my point that another O.S. cannot be expected to be Fully Changed into something else for your needs. However, a New O.S. or a New Design would be a good thing.
You would need a Whole New kind of Desktop Environment, at least. You MAY explore alternative Desktop Environments aside from the usual Gnome, Plasma or XFCE. Like Enlightenment or Awesome DE and others.
Sadly, at this time... The foundation or infrastructure that is in place would need some drastic changes to meet all of your demands. But if you can make a full list of all things, as you have done some of in this thread, maybe we can help you to find ways of meeting some of them for now. It may not be perfect but it could be more tolerable than "Terrible" is.
nMaib0 wrote:by the way, ZorinOS has no vertical mode, autohide on top gets triggered and stops me from using firefox all the time, I can't order the bookmarked directories to my liking in the file explorer, I have terrible screen tearing due to having a hybrid gpu, Manually selecting updates fails because of dependencies so I have to be forced to install all of them, Installed mpv and it doesn't work. all within 20 minutes of using the OS.

Completely on a whim one day, I hooked up a second monitor to my computer. I will Never Go Back to One Monitor again.
The second monitor is my wide open clean workspace. Nothing goes on it other than the things I am working on. The first monitor is my primary, where I have the icons, conky displays and menus.
If you can get a second monitor hooked up- it May help you a great deal.
If you are willing to make threads in the Help and Support section, maybe we can team up to help resolve some concerns, complaints and issues - Yes, not perfectly so, but at lease to where you do not feel like every distro is terrible to use.

nMaib0 wrote:Why is an OS that most people can't use and doesn't work out the box still called FREE? I don't understand.

In Linux, "Free" has two basic meanings. One, clearly, is that you do not pay money for it. In this, Linux is unusual in that free really does mean FREE. In a lot of cases, something is called free when you actually pay for it in another way. For example, your cell phone provider may claim to give yo ua free phone with service, then charge you an additional monthly fee that covers the cost of the phone.
The other meaning of "Free" is Open Source- that it can be Freely copied, modified and distributed.
Aravisian

Postby nMaib0 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:10 am

It definitely sounds like you have very particular tastes and preferences. I believe that you should have an O.S. that meets your needs.

I do I like using everything focused on the top left in a single toolbar, this is what my palemoon theme looked like a few years back https://imgur.com/CuIHqRl

You MAY explore alternative Desktop Environments aside from the usual Gnome, Plasma or XFCE. Like Enlightenment or Awesome DE

will try them, although I still think there's not much difference between an icon that shows a start menu and an invisible icon that activates a similar menu when you scroll over it.
nMaib0

Postby Aravisian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:24 am

nMaib0 wrote:
will try them, although I still think there's not much difference between an icon that shows a start menu and an invisible icon that activates a similar menu when you scroll over it.

I have two invisible icons on my primary monitor. I placed them there for a particular function.
They unhide if you hover over them.
You are right, there is very little difference between them. If we talk about changing the entire function of the desktop environment, differences start expanding.
But as you say, if there is very little difference between them in your single example- can we alter things for you to allow you to have what you are looking for?

I used a couple bash scripts to make my icons that I mentioned.
Aravisian

Postby nMaib0 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 am

Well that is up to the devs, I asked for it, I don't know if there are people that would like it that way, I guess there are, I am not that speial and I know tons of people who prefer to focus on the top left corner. And I hate to quote Steve Jobs but people really don't know what they want until you show it to them.
nMaib0

Postby Aravisian » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 am

nMaib0 wrote:Well that is up to the devs, I asked for it, I don't know if there are people that would like it that way, I guess there are, I am not that speial and I know tons of people who prefer to focus on the top left corner. And I hate to quote Steve Jobs but people really don't know what they want until you show it to them.

I would ammend the quote slightly to say that sometimes people don't know what they want until you show it to them. As with many things, it's "never always."

Sometimes, I want something until I experience it. Sometimes, I don't want something until I experience it. And habits also play a role- perhaps they want it and perhaps they like it, but old habits die hard and they never use it.

However, I asked about what can be done, now. What can we do to help you at this time. What teaks and adjustments can we help you to make on your computer?
I find it highly unlikely the developers would be interested in developing a whole new desktop. Zorin is a Compilation, not a foundation. The Zorin Team does it very well.... But they gather and compile, not create from scratch. And this is true for the vast majority of developers putting out distros.
Aravisian

Previous

Return to Community Contributions