This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Working State [Lite]

quenyan

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:58:58 am

Hello, I'm not sure if this goes to contribution. I just want to like, making a test status list, for Zorin OS. It might be useful for new user who kinda finding about this OS before installing it. I don't have a fancy laptop, just a regular dell laptop, which tried many Linux OS but not one fit, until Zorin OS is installed succesfully on the laptop. This might show how good Zorin OS and might bring more and more users, i hope. Btw, this might seems not so pro because im really a newb, but any input is welcome.

My machine: Dell Inspiron 3452
Inxi output: CPU~Dual core Intel Celeron N3050 (-MCP-) speed/max~1285/2160 MHz Kernel~5.3.0-46-generic x86_64 Up~3 days Mem~955.4/3848.2MB HDD~500.1GB(4.0% used) Procs~191 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56 <note: this inxi output is out when I have thunar file manager opened, qute browser opened, and mp3 music (parole media player) is playing on background>

[Operation]---[Status]---[Test Procedure/Inspection]

INSTALLATION STATUS---Almost OK---installed using MultiBootUSB, will not boot up if install using unetbootin/etcher/dd/rufus(perhaps)

KEYBOARD---OK---all key detected by using xev command in terminal

BRIGHTNESS KEY---OK---pressing Fn+brightness up and down, also there is a notification about the brightness level, which is cool

SOUND KEY---OK---pressing Fn+sound mute, up, and down, also there is a notification about the level

INTERFACE---OK---the interface alterations seems smooth, no lagging, no bugging down, very windows-like also

DEFAULT APPLICATIONS---OK---it comes with some most important software which user really/sometimes needed. firefox for internet(but I like qutebrowser more), thunar for file manager(very smooth and fast), the default video/music player which is parole media player is very good (i dont need to install 3rd party software such as VLC anymore) this is cool because Windows Media Player(Win) and Quicktime(OSX) couldn't play MP4 files along with SRT, Pitivi (a video/sound editor) similar to iMovie in OSX and just does the job with almost no lag on my regular dell laptop(not sure if this piece of software should be on default installation, but if OSX has, why Zorin shouldn't, right?), Xfburn <im also not sure about this one being installed by default, but it might have been very important for someone who is still using disc drive> (A disc burner, like NERO in Windows, well I dont have disc slot on my laptop so I couldn't test this, but it opens just fine with a warning that it can't access my disc drive), Thunderbird mail(good email client, tested it, and it runs okay), Archive manager(good, with Extract here in option, perfect), basic calculator, catfish file search (a file search engine, runs okay nothing wrong), onboard keyboard (well, this might useful for people who has a touchscreen laptop), LibreOffice (it runs just fine on my laptop, no lag, normal speed, and no error), Document viewer (which is used to open pdf file, cool), 5 minigames (solitaire, tetris, mine, mahjong, and sudoku, GREAT), Software (which is Zorin Appstore) not much different from other ubuntu appstore (okay, good, but i use apt command more, because it just faster even tho "software" is already faster than any other appstore client i tried), Disk usage analyzer (which is great helping people to clean up some space), simple Task Manager (like windows), and still many little bit stuff which i might have been missing, tell me if you found a missing software which is must listed, overall, Zorin has a good collection of pre-installed software, perfect enough for average users, anything that is not installed in the system can be installed from apt-get in a very simple way

WIFI---OK---Connected just fine, no problem at all

BLUETOOTH---OK---tried to connect to some devices, tried to use bluetooth tethering for internet, tried to send files to other devices, no problem found, purrfect

USB---OK---able to perform MTP with android devices, able to connect to network using USB tethering, good boy

SUSPEND---OK---I include this in the list because some Linux OS is very bad at it and Zorin do it just fine

PRINT---ALMOST OK---plug in the printer, and just press the print button, all set. the only problem is when you found out that the paper size you are using is not on the list, all you have to do is to set it from the localhost:631 (CUPS, yeah, all linux use CUPS to print), with little tweaking in the process, just follow my instruction on this post https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15702

SDCARD---OK---All Ubuntu distros have trouble with reading SD card, in order to make it to work, you just need to plug in your working SD card, then reboot, after that it will read and mount just fine, easy fix

SCANNER---OK---Scan using "simple scan" is just as easy as drinking water

will update the list when found something else...

Aravisian

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14:08 pm

This is Awesome :D

quenyan

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14:13 am

Aravisian wrote:This is Awesome :D

my day has been filled with joy after installing Zorin OS on my working laptop, it gives some mysterious "positive" feeling when using it. :D
I did have a little trouble when using Qutebrowser tho, since the Qt version of Zorin is 5.9.5, which is kind of old, the display for some website like youtube is not doing properly. but I do have a workaround with it using something called "Virtualenv". overall everything run just too smooth to be true.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 01, 2020 10:00:19 pm

Hi, Good write up - just out of curiosity, 15.2 Core or 15.2 Lite? ;) :D

quenyan

Sat May 02, 2020 5:19:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Good write up - just out of curiosity, 15.2 Core or 15.2 Lite? ;) :D

thanks, i added LITE in the post title :D