non-Microsoft Windows 12- thoughts?

Re: non-Microsoft Windows 12- thoughts?

Postby JeffK969 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Great points star treker "Looking Glass Lite" and Avari "blurs the line between Linux and Windows for people that are not familiar with it".

So does this mean when Aravisian creates a new distro that star treker is going to name it? LOL.

And treker is correct, we don't know enough about the situation. We just all hope the person is doing the right thing. Who knows, maybe he hates windows so much he just wants them to lose a few quid/bucks. I thought a few times about starting a Linux workshop locally. There's a store where adults gather to play adult fantasy games. Been outside the window looking in, never ventured inside. Figured that community may have an interest in Linux. When I do my work presentations I sometimes mention at the end that it was done on Zorin, a Linux Distro. Over 98% of the people have no idea what Linux is. But a couple guys have shown an interest. But I have been doing it lately for mostly service tech's, what do they know...lol Kidding Aravisian.. I know they know a lot.
Dell Inspiron 3847 Dual Boot - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.1 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Dell Latitude E5530 - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.1 & Gateway DX4200 - Linux Mint XFCE
Linux User since Oct 2017 - XFCE is my preferred preference.
JeffK969

Postby Aravisian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:38 pm

JeffK969 wrote:So does this mean when Aravisian creates a new distro that star treker is going to name it? LOL.

No.
Aravisian

Postby star treker » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 pm

You should know by now that the rules are, the author who creates the thing, names the thing. And besides, I can tell you right now, I have 0 interest in naming a distro for somebody else. The only reason I came up with a name for that one guys distro, is to help get the message out, that you don't have to break copyright law, to come up with a name. And after all, a window is something you look through right, and its made of glass right? So I simply thought of Looking Glass Light. :D

Yes, sounds like your speaking of the classic Dungeons And Dragon nerds, every town has them. (I think) And yes, them types of people should be interested in Linux. Heck, if you ever watched the TV show "The Big Bang Theory," they had such a group of guys, Sheldon was one of them. If they could get a Linux distro to run a robot to make your coffee in the morning, they are the ones to do it lol. :lol:
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Postby JeffK969 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Would think with his mechanical abilities and Linux knowledge, Aravisian would have already done that. But maybe time is the issue, and it's easier to set the timer on coffee pot. He does keep himself busy....
Dell Inspiron 3847 Dual Boot - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.1 / Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3
Dell Latitude E5530 - Zorin Ultimate Lite 15.1 & Gateway DX4200 - Linux Mint XFCE
JeffK969

Postby Aravisian » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:06 am

JeffK969 wrote: He does keep himself busy....

This is a very true statement.
It's a coping mechanism, really. I tend to run high-stress and sleep-dep.
Probably have some Mental Issues where I feel like I need to "prove my worth" or something. I'd see a shrink, but who has the time?

Aside from a short stint when I was a kid, which is probably true for most people, robots have never really held much interest for me.
I never really thought about it until you mention it now- but I think I understand why:
Robotics tends to make people redundant. Humans like to be bored, in general. I do not know why, but given a choice between busy and bored, people like to choose boredom and then sit around and complain about it. People like the Easy Route. They like fewer decisions, fewer responsibilities and less effort.
I strongly believe, however, that we often need what we do not like. We need exercise and if not for a speedy lion pushing us, we may not choose it and therefor need a little encouragement.
Robots are a development that instead, encourages the lazy.
I don't think that needs any encouraging.
So, these days, robots have taken a great number of jobs. Seems fine... except robotics extends beyond just a simple mechanism doing a repetitive task. These days, companies shun hiring a team of Qualified people and instead, hire a series of independent analysts and contractors. These people then submit their work as freelancers. That work is then analysed by robots and the robots Learn From How the Freelancers did the work, finding ways to eliminate the need for the freelancers by automating many of those tasks.
Then, that cycle repeats, eliminating more jobs. And the freelancers have no idea that they are contributing to their own demise.
We used to have a balance between development leading to fewer of some jobs but more of higher-tech jobs. Now, we are seeing tech replace Both. And since people are accustomed to the previous history that tech did not create a total loss of jobs, they do not realize that the game has changed. They chastise people that remark on the losses as luddites who fear "progress."
Aravisian

Postby JeffK969 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I guess there goes the idea of the perfect woman, who cooks, cleans, doesn't care about Bdays & anniversaries and never, ever complains. As well as never "gets a headache". And can fix all issues, teach us about Linux. All right down the drain... Kidding of course. Imperfection is what makes each individual special and unique. And I think all ladies are special. I mean that.
I hear what you're saying Aravi. You have some Mike Rowe in your logic.
JeffK969

Postby star treker » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:00 pm

The way that you think of people, is always going to be based on your experiences in life. If your always treated well, and always loved, your going to have a positive outlook towards said folks. However, if you grow up in life, and are always treated badly, and get used and abused, and thrown away like trash, you will end up having a negative outlook towards said folks.

Without going into too many specifics, I can tell you my experience is of the negative kind. I find many can be selfish as heck, and only care about themselves. And if you try to be nice to them and share them love, they metaphorically bight your head off. I hear what you are saying Jeff, you want to classify all woman as special simply because they were born female.

But lets be honest, nobody is more special then anybody else. Were all born human, regardless of ***. We are given 1-life, and in this 1-life, we can either choose to be a good human being, or a bad one. Some people choose to be good, they choose to be angels, to help people, love people, care for people. Then you have others who chose to be greedy, selfish, evil, sob's who will use you to get what they want until they don't need you no longer.

Because I've been hurt so much, I usually naturally put up a wall to protect myself. But at the end of the day, people have to earn my trust and respect. If someone treats me like dirt, I'm gone. Its really not that hard to be a good person, its just that far too many people choose the rout of being bad. But yeah, I don't subscribe to the all woman are special because they were born female c***.
Image When knowledge is shared, everyone benefits. Image
star treker

Previous

Return to Off Topic