This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS tweaks

Win7vsZorin123

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11:51 am

where i can find the GUI tweaks in Zorin OS 12.1 Lite similar to Linux Lite tweaks?
Note: Screen shot shown in Linux Lite

Win7vsZorin123

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:36:31 am

::bump:: still waiting for reply

MBMz10

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:24:07 am

Not sure Zorin has such a tool and think Linux Lite create that one them selves for their own Distro, have heard reviewers noting it and a few other Distros have similar tools such as Ubuntu Mate.

Win7vsZorin123

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30:13 am

oh ok thank you for reply MBMz10

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:34:15 am

Hi, Please note I am on holiday so you are lucky to get a response. I don't respond ad nauseum if I don't know the answer. Also bumping is not allowed. Future bumps could lead to a temporary ban. Continual practice of bumps can lead to a permanent ban. ;-)

Win7vsZorin123

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21:10 am

Swarfendor437 i'm sorry

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:56:39 pm

OK. ;-)

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31:48 pm

Ubuntu cleaner works for me.

I think that it was in Synaptic package manager.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39:04 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Not sure Zorin has such a tool and think Linux Lite create that one them selves for their own Distro, have heard reviewers noting it and a few other Distros have similar tools such as Ubuntu Mate.

Hi, You are spot on!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Lite - see section near bottom of page: "Software developed by Linux Lite" ;) :D

mdiemer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34:13 pm

Linux Lite also has system restore. I've not seen this on any other Linux. It would be great if Zorin had it.

MBMz10

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:30:18 am

Finston Pickle, I haven't tried ubuntu cleaner or even heard of it so will give that a try.

Swarfendor437, Guess we got to get something right at sometime eventually :D

mdiemer, I never knew that even though I have tried Linux Lite a few times, you learn something new each day ;)
I booted up a live session and it reminded me of 'system restore' in, I think Windows XP! Was a great tool given that I was breaking things on a regular basis and still do.

My guess would be that Zorin is focused on new users to Linux and making that change as easy as possible and that perhaps adding features like these could be confusing, costly to produce as far as developing them and also they might make potential converters worry about stability type issues, given that Zorin has features like the web browser manager and theme changes with a few simple clicks.

mdiemer

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13:08 pm

I'm all for stability! Zorin Lite is super stable for me, I wouldn't want anything to compromise it. I make images anyway, now that I've mastered Clonezilla.

MBMz10

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:21:40 am

mdiemer wrote:I'm all for stability! Zorin Lite is super stable for me, I wouldn't want anything to compromise it. I make images anyway, now that I've mastered Clonezilla.

Digressing from the thread a bit but Zorin Lite is still 'doing it for me also'. I tried Clonezilla a few weeks ago and my head is still spinning a bit :lol:
I restored Zorin Lite yesterday with Redo Backup from a few days earlier, worked a treat, and no it wasn't broken but I thought it was after messing with that Terminal thing :oops:

mdiemer

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30:00 pm

For the first year that I had Clonezilla, I wouldn't even use it. Did a couple dry runs, but was to terrified for a real one. But eventually I figured out what all those lines of text mean, and now I can image and restore easily. I like it because it can do any operating system, including windoze.

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14:44 pm

A slight diversion here as Redo and Clonezilla are being mentioned (I will also start a new thread).

I had my first issues with Redo today - print error at 99%.

Burnt a new DVD of REDO from my .iso and had the same result.

Then used discs to reformat my back up drive (I thought Redo automatically overwrote the drive as necessary).

Redo then worked perfectly!