This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Entroware Hybris has arrived.

SteveD

Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:35:58 pm

And I love it. I'll be keeping Ubuntu 18.04 for the time being, at least while it is under warranty. I think this is only the second time I have bought a brand new laptop, the first being a Sony Viao that survived years of abuse before it died.

The spec I ordered is:

17" Hybris
- Processor: Core i5 8300H
- Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
- Storage: 240GB SSD [M.2]
- Storage 2: 1TB Hard Drive
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
- Networking: Intel AC WiFi + Blue..
- Display: 17.3" Matte HD ..
- Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Keyboard: Backlit UK Keyboard
- Keyboard Logo: Ubuntu Logo
- Power Lead: UK Power Lead
- Dead Pixel Guarantee: 7 Day Guarantee
- Warranty: 3 Year Silver (See T..
- Accessories: OS Recovery Drive

And I asked for the 1TB HDD to be mounted /home

I'm grateful to Zorin for teaching me enough about Linux to feel comfortable moving to Ubuntu and the forum here is a lot friendlier but I have to say the trouble ticket I submitted on the 23rd May when trying to install 12.3 ultimate on a Dell laptop has still not been replied to.

zorinantwerp

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:53:50 pm

Hi SteveD

congratz with your new baby. don't forget to take backups :)

+++

SteveD

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:15:43 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi SteveD

congratz with your new baby. don't forget to take backups :)

+++

That was the first thing I organised, a backup routine to my NAS :D

I've failed miserably trying to get swmbo and my father-in-law using Zorin and both their laptops are now windoze only.

I've also been on a mission to find out where all the data was going on our (metered) internet connection and now have YAMon running on my router. It was the father-in-laws windoze laptop downloading updates whenever it felt like it.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:42:24 pm

What you have to remember is that most 'branded' laptops have 4 Primary Partitions:
1. System Partition (as in Windows 7 up) at start of drive of about 100 Mb
2. C:\ Drive with Windows
3. Recovery Creation Partition
4. Factory Restore Partition

At least one of those should be removed and before anything else take an image of the whole drive using either redobackup, clonezilla, or Easeus Backup (free one).

Then you need to delete all partitions.

But before all else you need to change BIOS settings in modern rigs to Legacy mode or some have dual 'legacy/EFI' mode.

If testing with Windoze in place you need to change BIOS as quoted but ALSO change the Power Settings that are hidden - Windows 8 and upwards always puts the drive to 'sleep' when you power off to reduce boot times and will override any attempt to boot from another device even if you have changed boot order! ;) :D