This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Play Windows games on Linux

MBMz10

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:51:17 am

Gaming on Linux gets better as Valve/Steam has been working on a 'fork' of WINE that enables Windows games to run on Steam Linux systems. It is in 'beta' but I have tried a few Windows games on my Linux Mint system and it works. It all works in the background seamlessly, awesome.

Not a big gamer myself but this means I can simply start steam and play a few games without having to reboot into Windows, wait for all the updates to finish hijacking my system and reboot again, the joys of Windows.

Anyone else tried this out yet?

zorinantwerp

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:59:30 am

Hi

not a gamer but did install 'steam' and purchased 'Zombie Army Trilogy' to get the feeling.
sad to admit I always get killed at the first wave jumping the barricade :mrgreen:

+++

MBMz10

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:03:07 am

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi

not a gamer but did install 'steam' and purchased 'Zombie Army Trilogy' to get the feeling.
sad to admit I always get killed at the first wave jumping the barricade :mrgreen:

+++

I am about that skill level also...

pcfan5

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01:15 am

Good Tip! recently I run into ScummVC, recomended by a friend to play old games.

MBMz10

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:35:51 am

Hi pcfan5, Lutris is another one that I have come across that might be worth checking out, they do some sort of customisation to WINE for individual games, over my head. https://lutris.net/

Valve is constantly working Proton / Steam Play, since posting here almost 2 months ago I have had instances of a game not working one day and the next day it does after a Proton update.

This site seems to give a good list of current situation for many games that work, work with issues or don't seem to work at all: https://www.protondb.com/

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59:44 pm

Yes two titles stick out in my mind, Games that were released on Amiga too! Beneath a Steel Sky and Amazon Queen. ;) :D