This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ghost images

Aravisian

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01:31 pm

In the olden days, stories passed by word of mouth carried legends forward through many generations. Easily, this led to superstition.
Today, we have the technology to share information in ways our ancestors never dreamed. With not just the internet to use to share, but video and audio recordings, we can document the mystical, ghosts and supernatural.
I used to not believe in ghosts simply because all medical evidence shows how necessary a brain is to who a person is. As a ghost cannot have a brain and a brain is essential for you know, thinking... I saw no reason to believe in ghosts.
But watching video recordings of strange motions caught on camera, objects suddenly falling off shelves by themselves and things knocked around in ways that humans don't seem to do (when alive...) I have realized the true absurdity of it all:

All ghosts are cats.

Which makes sense since cats are known to operate without a brain from time to time. And why only crazy old ladies can communicate with them.

MBMz10

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45:28 am

I got a chuckle out of that.

I thought you meant Norton Ghost for making Drive images :lol:

There is some theory about the age of the Universe and Entropy related to cats knocking everything off shelves but I forgot how it goes exactly, however your post made me think about it again.

I believe everything I see on Youtube and Youtube was made just for cat videos originally.
If our future selves ever see those videos they will surely think we had too much of some strange Koolaid.

That said this post is timely as for some reason I just made the strangest video and don’t even know where it came from? I came here to off topic to post a link to it just to see if I need to seek medical attention!

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34:24 am

To select from:

His foolish behaviour may jeopardize his whole future of cats.

There must be an innocent explanation for his behaviour.

Zorin mods cannot agree on the causes of your criminal behaviour.

:mrgreen:

Aravisian

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:42:08 am

MBMz10 wrote:I believe everything I see on Youtube and Youtube was made just for cat videos originally.
If our future selves ever see those videos they will surely think we had too much of some strange Koolaid.

Makes you wonder about the ancient Egyptians.

MBMz10 wrote:I thought you meant Norton Ghost for making Drive images :lol:

Word-play is a dish best served evil.

MBMz10 wrote:There is some theory about the age of the Universe and Entropy related to cats knocking everything off shelves but I forgot how it goes exactly, however your post made me think about it again.

I don't know that one, but I could guess as to what it is.
Where time, entropy and statistics come together, strange things can happen.
Statistically, if we were to track every molecule in your cup of coffee, there would be at least one molecule that settles back into its Exact Same previously occupied position after you stirred the coffee for two seconds.

MBMz10 wrote:That said this post is timely as for some reason I just made the strangest video and don’t even know where it came from? I came here to off topic to post a link to it just to see if I need to seek medical attention!

At almost 17 minutes, you're killing me. I gave it a thumb for ya.

zorinantwerp wrote:There must be an innocent explanation for his behaviour.

Never.

zorinantwerp wrote:Zorin mods cannot agree on the causes of your criminal behaviour.

:mrgreen:

When it comes to forum Moderators, I learned a long time ago to treat them slightly less well as I would treat anyone else. ;)
I do often seem to be the cause of back-room moderator discussions on most boards... Which is why I opt to separate Identities and chose the Aravisian name for here. Currently, this is the only Forum I am actively tormenting, however.

MBMz10

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40:02 am

Aravisian wrote:
I don't know that one, but I could guess as to what it is.
Where time, entropy and statistics come together, strange things can happen.
Statistically, if we were to track every molecule in your cup of coffee, there would be at least one molecule that settles back into its Exact Same previously occupied position after you stirred the coffee for two seconds.

Quantum Entanglement, stir faster longer harder and in the other direction until all coffee on floor to engage Chaos Theory.

Aravisian wrote:At almost 17 minutes, you're killing me. I gave it a thumb for ya.

Confirmation Bias. Cheers for the Thumb

Aravisian

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14:02 pm

MBMz10 wrote:Quantum Entanglement, stir faster longer harder and in the other direction until all coffee on floor to engage Chaos Theory.

Speaking of entropy; I bet that sentence would turn Mandelbrot over in his grave.
Personally, I have been holding the hypothesis that in QM, the particles we observe are peaks of waves that propagate outside our ability to observe. It makes sense given "spooky action at a distance" and "Virtual particles."
I always figured that I would never know in my lifetime whether the idea has any merit. Testing such a hypothesis is a long way off.
And yet, it turns out that recently in the news it was reported that over a decade ago, Carlos Rovelli and team had started working on similar lines:
https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9603063
Loop Quantum Gravity... Bring it on.
MBMz10 wrote:Confirmation Bias. Cheers for the Thumb

A bit of Monty Python, no Perl.
Constructive Criticism, shorter is better. I enjoyed it all the same; I let the video run as I worked on other things.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:20:29 am

I thoroughly enjoyed your video MBMz10. Perhaps to redress the balance you could do one on the Linux Dirty Cow.

https://www.siteground.com/blog/dirty-c ... erability/

For accurate reality:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLF2DO ... s6eK6POaxg

star treker

Fri May 24, 2019 6:09:14 am

If I ever encountered a ghost making a mess, I'd yell out, hey f****, quite spreading your descusting ecto plasms's everywhere. Then I am sure the ghost will say, mine, or I will help you not. And then thats when I would say, ok, let me grab my proton blaster. Blasts the ghost, blows the smoke out the barrel and I say, crispy fried punk, they never learn.