This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

For Mint Users:

Aravisian

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:53:08 pm

This is for Mint 19 and up, currently.
I have been working on starting up some Mint themes.
Of course, I start with Azenis.
A kind fella is helping to test it, now... Probably find it its broken beyond all hope.
But here is the Basic Look:

Mint-DT.png

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:11:22 am

That should migrate to Feren OS as well as it is based off Ubuntu and Mint. :D

star treker

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:37:04 pm

If Aravisian keeps doing what he's doing, primarily making Azenis theme packs for different OS's, he's going to start becoming popular in the community. :D

Aravisian

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:53:07 pm

star treker wrote:If Aravisian keeps doing what he's doing, primarily making Azenis theme packs for different OS's, he's going to start becoming popular in the community. :D

Doubtful; though I can see how it could make me VERY unpopular among a certain crowd of developers.

star treker

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:19:19 pm

You mean, microsoftacrappers? Or microkisstheirarsers? Yeah, when old man Steve nearly had a heart attack on stage talking about his secret passionate love for developers, I knew he was desperate, as Linux was like a speeding train ready to smash microcrack off the track. Once that sweaty fat man realized that they were not going to beat us, he decided that he would join us, by infusing their next OS with Linux as its base. Did he think he was going to fool us? Nope, can't fool a Linux user, but you sure can c*** all over one....... GNOME!!!!!!

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29:31 pm

star treker wrote:You mean, microsoftacrappers? Or microkisstheirarsers? Yeah, when old man Steve nearly had a heart attack on stage talking about his secret passionate love for developers, I knew he was desperate, as Linux was like a speeding train ready to smash microcrack off the track. Once that sweaty fat man realized that they were not going to beat us, he decided that he would join us, by infusing their next OS with Linux as its base. Did he think he was going to fool us? Nope, can't fool a Linux user, but you sure can c*** all over one....... GNOME!!!!!!

Well, lovin' Zorin. But I am thinking of switching to Mint.
Zorin utilizes Gnome and I hate Gnome. It utilizes XFCE, which I definitely liked and enjoyed, but have become disenchanted.
Zorin used to offer LXDE as the "Lite."
But considering that Zorin currently is Gnome, I think Lite in the future will just be Gnome-Lite (XFCE 4.16) rather than a change to another lightweight D.E.
The fiasco over the XFCE developers is just... disturbing.
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/20 ... 36807.html
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/20 ... 36808.html
And it has sparked debate, here;
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=56631#p56631
I find the developers attitudes, frankly, disgusting.
And I also think it is the end of XFCE if not in general, but for me.

I had long wanted to make a Cinnamon Desktop theme (KDE is still on the books) and this has been a bit of motivation to finally get to it.
What I have done is installed Mint (Cinnamon) on a separate partition of my Zorin Machine and have been running that, instead.
To learn how it works and to test all of the features.
Actually. you may like it StarTrekker, as the menu is just HUGE.
I also would like to think some of us can band together and port XFCE to a new desktop and create that as a replacement for 4.16. Who knows.

star treker

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04:32 pm

Exactly!

Which is why you are in the works of creating your own Linux OS, where its guaranteed to have XFCE functionality, but without all the crapola clogging up the works. Keep up the good work my fine sir! :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:17:15 pm

star treker wrote:Exactly!

Which is why you are in the works of creating your own Linux OS, where its guaranteed to have XFCE functionality, but without all the crapola clogging up the works. Keep up the good work my fine sir! :D

..shhh...

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22:16 pm

Well, I have to admit I departed from KDE, and now falling head over heels with the latest FerenOS. If things get worse, I too may depart to pastures new. I always wanted to create my own based on family's initials but I think I am now too old and decrepit to start. Hey ho! :o :shock: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well, I have to admit I departed from KDE, and now falling head over heels with the latest FerenOS. If things get worse, I too may depart to pastures new. I always wanted to create my own based on family's initials but I think I am now too old and decrepit to start. Hey ho! :o :shock: :mrgreen: :twisted:

No reason why you couldn't be part of a team if you wanted and one was available.
KDE is like gnome, only in that it is a Heavier D.E.
I think a distro that offers a wide range; Heavy D.E. and a Lite: Openbox, XFCE... and no Systemd could have a following.
(KDE- I LIKE KDE, I just cannot get the knack of it. I have used puppy, openbox, icewm, xfce, gnome... but KDE throws me for a loop)

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:36:40 pm

Hi, I know where you are coming from - at the weekend I had an infamous:

"Unable to create io-slave. klauncher said: Error loading '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'

Apparently this is when last updates are dragging their feet when new ones want to get on:

[https://forum.manjaro.org/t/unable-to-create-io-slave-klauncher-said-error-loading-usr-lib-qt-plugins-kf5-kio-file-so/25866]

Aravisian

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I know where you are coming from - at the weekend I had an infamous:

"Unable to create io-slave. klauncher said: Error loading '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'

Apparently this is when last updates are dragging their feet when new ones want to get on:

[https://forum.manjaro.org/t/unable-to-create-io-slave-klauncher-said-error-loading-usr-lib-qt-plugins-kf5-kio-file-so/25866]

Peeve:
It bugs me how everything in KDE is a "K"-something. It's so cute. It reminds me of McDonalds. McNuggets. McDouble.
Yes, other desktops do it a bit, too. But it seems ALL KDE apps use a K or change a C to a K.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06:31 am

Which as I found out does not stand for Konqueror, boot 'Kool' (Kool aid! :lol: ) which was soon dropped. To be fair, I think everything 'K'd' is so you know it is meant for K DE. ;) :D

JeffK969

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54:13 pm

Wow, go away for a few weeks and come back to this.... Geez...lol
I too like Mint, still use it. Mint XFCE is very good, never have issues. Cinn, after a while always seems to get sluggish but using it too. Also really liked MATE, but seemed to never have the latest packages. FerenOS, I used to really like that, but after some time started having issues with some of the many ppa's it uses (can't recall exactly now which ones) and was getting update errors quite often. And after my ChaletOS experience, wanted to stay away from a 1 man OS. When life happens and a person don't have the time, the OS can/will suffer. I personally don't know enough on how to build/create packages/OS. But would def be interested in testing. If there was something to test...lol

I do tend to find Linux OS's are much like relationships. At first each OS is interesting, you like it and want to spend time with it, making it better. Then after a while, it loses it's luster. I personally got tired of switching OS (however still seems able to switch GF every 3-5 yrs, sadly), which is why I will always use Mint & Zorin. They just seem to work for me. And may turn out to be some of my longest relationships...lol

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46:08 pm

JeffK969 wrote:I do tend to find Linux OS's are much like relationships. At first each OS is interesting, you like it and want to spend time with it, making it better. Then after a while, it loses it's luster. I personally got tired of switching OS (however still seems able to switch GF every 3-5 yrs, sadly), which is why I will always use Mint & Zorin. They just seem to work for me. And may turn out to be some of my longest relationships...lol

HAHAHAHAHAA
Good to have ya back.
JeffK969 wrote:Wow, go away for a few weeks and come back to this....

Got a brand new one I am working on, at the moment. It's a dark theme, of course.
Plus a small variety of older projects a special request has asked to bring forward to gtk3.24.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34:18 am

Ooh! Aravisian! Something else for you to consider!

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/80627.html

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Ooh! Aravisian! Something else for you to consider!

https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/80627.html

I'll look into it. Something else to learn how to do.

In the meantime, I have uploaded a New Creation for XFCE and Mint:
https://www.pling.com/p/1359453/
You gnome users are not without, however. You can use the simple "Empire" theme with CSD, though it leaves something to be desired what without the borders and all...
That said, all my other Gnome Theme listings have a new disclaimer- I have made the decision that I will no longer make any themes for Gnome desktop.
My aim was easy on eye strain, elegance and darkness. The XFWM has wide borders to make resizing easier.
Whiskermenu and ZorinMenuLite are included in the theme.

JeffK969

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48:03 pm

Empire...? Seems very appropriate, seeing how I was just down at Disney's Hollywood Studios and spent quality time at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge..!!! It's very cool. Wondering if Aravi is tracking my cell and wanted me to mentally continue my vacation so I can relax more... Hmmmm... There is no relaxing at Disney but now that I'm home...haha

Last I saw I thought you were done with pling/whatever website. Glad to see you continuing with your creative side... You make some cool themes.

star treker

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:24:08 pm

Aravisian:

That theme looks freaking awesome, I love all the blacks and blues, and I also love how bubbly the buttons are. I never thought I would see Cinnamon modified in that way. The thing that I love that you do, is you don't go for the flat simplistic and basic approach. You always go for bold, bubbly, glassy, colorful approach that really looks amazing. I even found your Torque theme appealing and could see me running that someday.

Now yes its true, if someone is running on a system that is 20-years old, chances are they won't be able to benefit from the theaming, as it would undoubtedly bring their system to a crashing halt lol. So they might be the ones to run on those lightweight Linux OS's. But I think most people arn't running on computer's that old, so they should be able to handle it just fine. Its just that some people in the Linux community love running Linux on 20 to 25 year old hardware for giggles.

What I find funny is that some people forgot that one of the things that pushed for higher CPU frequency requirements was the internet. Computers in the late 90's were not able to utilize braudband internet at the speeds that they were paying for. Now Pentium 4's from the early 2000's can't utilize the speeds of 85MB internet either. LOL - Hence modern computer's required to utilize your upgraded internet speeds.

Man, I still remember the days when computers were as slow as a slug and a snail on a sidewalk. They were so slow that they could never hope to utilize a graphic user interface. Everything was DOS commands on the prompt. Talk about your low memory! LOL - I watched a video of a guy trying to get on the net with Pentium 1 in modern day, I was laughing my **** off. Not only was the hardware incapable of doing it, but internet browsers have changed so much to use the modern net, that his version couldn't even load a page either lol.

Aravisian

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01:35 pm

star treker wrote:Now yes its true, if someone is running on a system that is 20-years old, chances are they won't be able to benefit from the theaming, as it would undoubtedly bring their system to a crashing halt lol. So they might be the ones to run on those lightweight Linux OS's. But I think most people arn't running on computer's that old, so they should be able to handle it just fine. Its just that some people in the Linux community love running Linux on 20 to 25 year old hardware for giggles.

I run these things on a Tablet PC that is over 16 years old without any trouble at all.
JeffK969 wrote:Empire...? Seems very appropriate, seeing how I was just down at Disney's Hollywood Studios and spent quality time at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge..!!! It's very cool. Wondering if Aravi is tracking my cell

Nah, but Star Wars was something that came to mind when I was trying to name it- though I don't dare mention that with Disney owning it now.

JeffK969 wrote:Last I saw I thought you were done with pling/whatever website. Glad to see you continuing with your creative side... You make some cool themes.

Yep. But it appears that there was a non-malicious-intent error with Pling that affected more than just me. Mistakes, I can forgive. Shafting, I cannot.

Aravisian

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51:28 am

star treker

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:03:22 am

Very nice Aravisian! Those icons look good, and look like a variation of the Azenis icons. If someone likes your Empire theme, they will like that icon pack as well.

PS: Useless fact, did you know that the Empire scorpion is like the largest and least deadly in the desert? Its true! The deadly scorpions are the smaller translucent ones. So if you get stung by a Empire scorpion, chances are, your going to survive. ;)

Aravisian

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:08:36 am

star treker wrote:Very nice Aravisian! Those icons look good, and look like a variation of the Azenis icons. If someone likes your Empire theme, they will like that icon pack as well.

PS: Useless fact, did you know that the Empire scorpion is like the largest and least deadly in the desert? Its true! The deadly scorpions are the smaller translucent ones. So if you get stung by a Empire scorpion, chances are, your going to survive. ;)

They are based on the Torque Icons, as well. I did not really want to spend a lot of time on them; I was already using the Torque Icons on the Empire theme and over-all, they matched well; AND a LOT of time was spent having to add a bunch of new icons.

Aravisian

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:26:15 pm

Sneak Preview of the current Project:
https://imgur.com/S1GaaRR
https://imgur.com/VDjE3ez

star treker

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:31:27 pm

If I wanted an operating system to run a space ship, that is what I call a great start! No more of that LCARS crapola, time to amp it up to excellence. Great work Aravisian, can't wait to see the next update. :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:24:18 pm

Very nice! ;) :D

Aravisian

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:06:39 pm

I have already made changes lol- I expect to upload it within about a week- maybe less.

Aravisian

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:25:32 am

NOCSD Cinnamon, first.

https://www.pling.com/p/1364238/

My computer that is installed with CSD using D.E. has taken a dive, so as I said above- about a week before the fuller XFCE version with CSD is available.
However, I ncluded the XFWM4 in this copy and it CAN be used on XFCE, nominally.
CSD apps will look a little odd, though.

star treker

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:57:01 am

Set course for the Aravisian system...ENGAGE!

Captain, were running into some strange Gnome turbulence, which is putting the ship into a state of quantum flux, that appears to coming from a rift in space. OOPS, I knew I shouldn't have ate that spicy burrito. :P OK, take the CSD, plug it into the DE, and ram it up the XFCE, that auda fix it. :D

OK, in all seriousness, I got a major headache, I need to get some sleep. Hopefully I managed to make at least one person laugh reading this post. Keep up the good work buddy, I like your style. Goodnight

Aravisian

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:38:22 am

Well, it cracked me up.

star treker

Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:49:31 pm

I am glad to hear that. I managed to get some sleep, but woke up with that headache again but not quite as bad, took a couple ***** for it. I am eagerly awaiting your big reveal on your project, cause you so know that I will download that ISO ;)

Aravisian

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:29:52 pm

That item is many months out. I have much to learn.

Aravisian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00:04 am

Sneak Preview of current theme project- you'll know what it is when you see it.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17:38 pm

The only 'thing' missing now is ... Ripley! 8-)

star treker

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38:13 pm

Aravisian wrote:Sneak Preview of current theme project- you'll know what it is when you see it.

Oh my gosh, that is so cool! I absolutely loved the first two movies, they were the best. Sigourney Weever's portrail of Ripley was freaking awesome, such good story and artwork. You can learn a lot about the movies in the behind the scenes directors cut editions of the movies. 8-)

Now, what you are doing here is quite the surprise! I love the look of the window borders, nice design. And I've never seen those icons before, very nice. Looks like this will be the winner chicken dinner from the amazing Aravisian. :D

star treker

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:The only 'thing' missing now is ... Ripley! 8-)

If you include Ripley in the theme, then you also must include the very famous line from the film... "Get away from her you b**** :lol:

Aravisian

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:41:50 pm

The Icons are from my Empire Icon set, I have not yet made any icon set for this theme.

Critical feedback before I upload this thing is Very Welcome...

The only 'thing' missing now is ... Ripley!

You're on your own with Wallpapers on that one.

star treker

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33:02 pm

This is the scene where she says that line. I will say though, I like the wallpaper background that you are using on it Aravisian. :D

maxresdefault.jpg

Well, you've already done a good job making the windows look like a console display. But perhaps you could do even more to make it look even more like a console display? I am thinking about console's and computers in the Alien canon. You could get inspiration from both the movie Aliens, and from the game called Alien Isolation. ;)

Also, if you recall, the Apple II computers had green displays. I don't know if its even possible for file manager windows to have their backgrounds changed. But I know people have changed the backgrounds of terminal windows for sure. But the terminal windows would make the most sense to do this, and give them the Apple II computer green background.

The idea of it is, you will get the feeling of typing on an old Apple II computer. Since the first movie was released around that time period when those computers were popular, just makes sense. Afterall, they did it in the game Alien Isolation, which was just so satisfying, along with those 80's sounds lol.

Also, in the Alien series canon, they didn't use traditional letters and numbers on their console displays, they used strange characters. If you recall, there were scenes depicting those characters if you need more inspiration. I am just shooting ideas out there, that might be something you would like to do. ;)

Aravisian

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33:22 am

That actually is something I had considered. I had looked up the consoles (Including the scene with the w.t.h.is going on with that convoluted Self-Destruct sequence) and compared notes.
This is one of the genius bits of the film; Everything is distressed, but still whitish and bright in the beginning, but Dark and Darker overtones later.
It was the later tones that I wanted to grab. The computer consoles are very bright and cheerful looking, over-all. It may not seem it in the film, but in a static theme, it becomes a glaring contradiction.
There's also copyright to consider.... Cough Cough
Additionally, there is more than one film, with many undertones in each.
I am undecided about it, and still welcoming of ideas- just explaining my counter to that one.

star treker

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:17:32 am

I found this to help with your inspiration 8-)

station-screen-graphic.jpg

19.jpg

Sevastolink_terminal.png

04.jpg

Say hello to my little friend. What you see here is a M41-A pulse rifle, with over and under grenade launcher. It fires 10mm explosive tipped caseless standard light armor piercing rounds. <<<--- Yes I remembered that all from memory. If an alien xenomorph came down a corridor at me, I'd make him re-think his life real quick with this baby. :lol:
Frost_with_Pulse_Rifle.jpg

star treker

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03:54 am

I just love the look of the Hadley's Hope corridors. 8-)
soenke-c-warby-seidel-hadleys-hope-01.jpg

Aravisian

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34:23 am

True- and great in video games or in a Clustered Scene, in a theme where there isn't much room or ability to fill the area -it is a bit different.
Great imagery, though- I appreciate the help. I may shelve this idea for a while and see what new directions come up.

star treker

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:58:13 pm

My only mission was to inspire you. You wanted us to give you critical feedback, but I didn't really have anything truly critical to say against it. My only thought was that maybe through inspiration, you could possibly do some more. But of course that is coming from me, who knows nothing about theming, so what do I know? lol

Some of the imagery was easier to find from the games that were based off the movies, it was much harder for me to find screenshots from the movies themselves, not sure why that is really. However, the first console picture is from the movie, I am pretty sure that one was not from any of the games. There was a real movie picture of the corridor in Hadley's Hope, but two guys were in the corridor blocking most of the view, so I used the picture from the game of that corridor instead.

Oddly, there were a bunch of screenshots from the prequel movie Promethious. But sorry, I don't consider that a valid alien movie in my humble opinion, because those movies break canon left and right. I will only consider Alien, and Aliens, to be true alien movies. I will never use a screenshots from the prequel movies so you can forget it. Gosh I sound like Ripley right now, and I take that as a compliment at this point. lol

And because of the Corona Virus spreading around like wildfire, I also can't help but to think of the movie line when Ripley says.... "All this fruity sh** that you think is so important, well you can kiss all that goodbye" LOL :D

Aravisian

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28:16 am

star treker wrote:My only mission was to inspire you.

Well, it's not a "I quit." But if I think the direction I am going in won't do it justice, I think that is fair, too.
I can take many of those elements and make a new idea out of them that are not related to this particular direction- but also do not leave the user struggling with expectations.

star treker

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:05:18 am

I'm sorry to say, but when it comes to humanity, I have 0 expectations.

Well, I take that back, I do have the expectation that humanity will always choose its self destruction, as it always has done, for thousands of years.

Aravisian

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58:05 pm

Going backward in time, I have re-vamped the Menus for Cinnamon to be a lot more like how AzenisWhiskerMenu was. Can view in full here

https://www.pling.com/p/1407934/

Stark Menu
azenis-starkmenu-1.png

Cinnamenu
azenis-menu-1.png

Mate Menu
Azenis-Mate-Menu.png

And added a couple Wallpapers- Updating the 2008 Azenis Wallpaper to Azenis2020.
https://www.pling.com/p/1408084/

star treker

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16:33 pm

It looks pretty. Hmm, I just had a thought, reseeing my post there with the picture of the Hadley's Hope corridor.

Is it possible to make a theme background for my Whisker Menu, that has that corridor for a background? Of course it would have to be transparent so that I can see the apps and stuff, but that would make me happier then a clam.

PS: Who started that happier then a clam saying anyways, how do we know the clam is happy, its not even a mamal species? LOL

Aravisian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:59:06 pm

star treker wrote:It looks pretty. Hmm, I just had a thought, reseeing my post there with the picture of the Hadley's Hope corridor.

Is it possible to make a theme background for my Whisker Menu, that has that corridor for a background? Of course it would have to be transparent so that I can see the apps and stuff, but that would make me happier then a clam.

PS: Who started that happier then a clam saying anyways, how do we know the clam is happy, its not even a mamal species? LOL

If it is transparent, then you will not see the image. If it is not transparent, your apps will blend in with all that detail in the image.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/128 ... -are-clams

star treker

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30:54 pm

Oh I see, I guess I just didn't understand how that process worked for theming.

Thanks for the funny article on Happy As A Clam. But you better hope its not low tied, HAHA :D

Aravisian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15:12 pm

star treker wrote:Oh I see, I guess I just didn't understand how that process worked for theming.

Thanks for the funny article on Happy As A Clam. But you better hope its not low tied, HAHA :D

Well, you can test it if you want.
Download and save this image.
In your /.whiskermenu theme folder, rename the background image to background-fallback.png
Then copy this image into that folder as background.png
Restart your whiskermenu
See if it looks terrible or likeable.

Tekkersexperiment.png