This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

non-Microsoft Windows 12- thoughts?

Aravisian

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34:43 pm

https://www.techradar.com/news/sick-of- ... mes-faster
Linux based Windows 12. Linux-lite.
Thoughts?

Does marketing it in this misleading manner carry some far reaching consequences?

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45:20 pm

Well that's a perfect example of someone on the make. I can't stand it when people hijack a project to claim it theirs and make money off of it instead of feeding income back to the Devs. I think my first ever purchase was for Vector Linux Deluxe - might have been version 5 - I've still got the isos somewhere - 2 CDs worth. Having looked at the article i started to meander and forgot how good Vector Linux was/is:

http://vectorlinux.com/

http://vectorlinux.com/products

I've also forgotten about one of my longstanding favourites that I have in my sig: Trisquel. I preferred the earlier editions (I think it was 6.0 not sure, that booted with Accessible screen reader as first live mode option at top of the list! still have that somewhere too!). Here is an extract from and LXF Article on 'Escape the Cloud' back in August 2018.

"WHY USE A FREE DISTRIBUTION?
Trisquel GNU/Linux is the Free Software Foundation's recommended distribution that's free of any proprietary piece of code from the kernel upwards to the desktop. To the casual user, it might appear that the Ubuntu-based Trisquel re-uses upstream packages after stripping the non-free packages that don't adhere to GNU's guidelines for free software. But there's more to Trisquel than just repackaging Ubuntu. First, because finding the non-free stuff is a complex task. Second, when developers take out a non-free component, they also have to ensure that they slot in the free version without adversely affecting other components, which is an involved and cumbersome process.
A positive side effect of the deep cleanse is that the distribution is free of any tracking code. For example, Trisquel uses an unbranded version of the Firefox browser, called Abrowser. Trisquel developers have audited and tweaked the program to maximise your privacy without compromising usability. It won't establish any network connections on its own, unlike its peers that automatically connect in the background to check for things like extension updates and geolocation. Abrowser also has a list of privacy-enhancing settings that the user can customise depending on their needs. These are displayed prominently whenever you fire up the browser or switch to a new tab.
Besides the bundled software, Trisquel also carries over 25,000 free software packages in its online repository that have all been reviewed and customised to remove any non-free bits."

;) :D

star treker

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:28:53 pm

Keep in mind that Zorin charges money for Ultimate. Did Zorin invent Linux? Nope! Did Zorin invent the desktop interface and or kernal that the OS uses? Nope! Zorin OS is just a modified version of Gnome desktop, with appearance changes, and lots of apps and games already loaded for you in the Ultimate edition. All apps on disk such as DVD costs money, I never heard of someone giving away a free copy of software on disk, because the disk costs money, so your going to pay at least 10 dollars for that disk that was used to burn the software on, thats just pure reality.

The real problem that I see here, is the use of Windows for the software name and disk title. Any idiot in a monkey suit will tell you that is copyright infringement. And trying to go up against Microsoft in this fashion, they will surely loose, and they will loose hard! And just cause you got the word Lite in the title, don't mean that its magically not copyright infringement. No, it still is! There is a guy on Youtube named Legal Eagle, he is a very good lawyer and his specialty is copyright law, he will tell you if you asked him.

Now in regards to all the points that were made about the software, that is true of all Linux OS's vs Microsoft or even Apple OS. Linux is just better all around, and I am going to have to agree with the statements that were made. Microsoft is on a 1-way track record of derailment because of their mismanagement of Windows 10, in the efforts of making pure profit off of selling your data to the highest bidder.

Why is this so hard for them to understand? WE WANT A OPERATING SYSTEM, NOT A DATA MINER!!!

Aravisian

Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55:40 pm

One of the things that bothered me was the claim of Immunity from Exterior Manipulation like viruses and the like.

star treker

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07:07 pm

Oh I see, and I most certainly agree. No computer that has access to the internet, or uses a wireless interface to exchange data, can be 100% free of virus's. And at the end of the day, any machine with access to the internet, or that has a wireless interface for data transfer, can be hacked. Which is why Target got hacked a couple years ago, cause their card system uses the internet for data transfer, and their system got hacked, and everybodies information was immediately compromised.

You can certainly take steps to make your computer safer. Don't go to sites you don't know, don't click on links that ask you for your information. Especially don't click on links in emails from people you don't know, (hence spammers) because it is more then likely ransomware. And once ransomeware gets on your computer, your screwed! Now links from friends and family you know is ok, but always be vigilant just the same.

Also, run anti-virus and anti-malware scanners on your computer, update them often, scan often, there's no reason not to. I myself recently did a anti-virus scan, and it found a trojan on my computer. Thankfully however, the trojan was designed for Windows, and it was unlikely that it was harming my computer. But once the scanner found the threat, I definitely felt a moment of fear, and had to take steps to get it removed. So there you go, run your scans, be vigilant, its about all you can do really.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44:47 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well that's a perfect example of someone on the make. I can't stand it when people hijack a project to claim it theirs and make money off of it instead of feeding income back to the Devs.

This is true. I think there is something more misleading about calling it
Windows 12
And then claiming it is immune from ransomware.
The more these geniuses try to promote any Linux based OS this way, the more they will open it up to hackers. Easy Pickins.
"Dumb People with an Immunity Complex are ripe for the taking," type of thing.
Just about every part of that O.S. is Conniving and Dirty. Very self-centric with zero thought given to the moderately long term problems. I bet whoever typed the description of it was giggling gleefully to themselves, certain of their prowess as a Cunning Salesperson.
Swarfendor437 wrote:I've also forgotten about one of my longstanding favourites that I have in my sig: Trisquel.

Trisquel with Mate D.E. looks pretty good.

JeffK969

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:44:16 pm

Agreed. Calling it that was a very poor decision. But using the windows theme it to appeal to Windows users was a good idea, especially with the end of 7. And using Linux-Lite, another good idea. Perhaps even better.
So does the ends justify the means? I'd say yes if the guy would have been creative enough to give it a better name. However since he didn't, no. And Star Treker is correct. The time to burn too, with the cost of the DVD/Cases, can't blame the guy for charging. It's just the methods/name are shady. I would hope he donates to linux-lite. If not, he is just a scammer.

star treker

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:29:51 pm

The problem here is we just don't have enough information. Think of it like a writer who writes a book, why did he say this, why did he say that? This is why people interview book writers sometimes. JK Rawlings has been interviewed tons of time since the success of the Harry Potter books and movie series. If we could interview the guy, we could ask the all important questions. And hopefully he wouldn't dodge the questions like some people in office lol.

My guess is the guy didn't have any intentions on screwing people over. And my guess is that he didn't even bother thinking when he chose the name Windows Lite on the disks. Some of us techies tend to have impulse control issues, I'm thinking this is evidence of that. He just needs a friend to tell him, dude, you can't call it Windows man, what are you thinking? He should call it "Looking Glass Lite." Thats what I would call it.

Aravisian

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48:37 pm

I couldn't help but notice that it blurs the line between Linux and Windows for people that are not familiar with it.
This would be like Hyundai making a vehicle, then selling it in the U.S. calling it the Chevy Bel Air.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:29:05 pm

Or a Toyota Carina (Ford Cortina anyone?) :lol:

JeffK969

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55:52 pm

Great points star treker "Looking Glass Lite" and Avari "blurs the line between Linux and Windows for people that are not familiar with it".

So does this mean when Aravisian creates a new distro that star treker is going to name it? LOL.

And treker is correct, we don't know enough about the situation. We just all hope the person is doing the right thing. Who knows, maybe he hates windows so much he just wants them to lose a few quid/bucks. I thought a few times about starting a Linux workshop locally. There's a store where adults gather to play adult fantasy games. Been outside the window looking in, never ventured inside. Figured that community may have an interest in Linux. When I do my work presentations I sometimes mention at the end that it was done on Zorin, a Linux Distro. Over 98% of the people have no idea what Linux is. But a couple guys have shown an interest. But I have been doing it lately for mostly service tech's, what do they know...lol Kidding Aravisian.. I know they know a lot.

Aravisian

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:38:54 pm

JeffK969 wrote:So does this mean when Aravisian creates a new distro that star treker is going to name it? LOL.

No.

star treker

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:45:49 pm

You should know by now that the rules are, the author who creates the thing, names the thing. And besides, I can tell you right now, I have 0 interest in naming a distro for somebody else. The only reason I came up with a name for that one guys distro, is to help get the message out, that you don't have to break copyright law, to come up with a name. And after all, a window is something you look through right, and its made of glass right? So I simply thought of Looking Glass Light. :D

Yes, sounds like your speaking of the classic Dungeons And Dragon nerds, every town has them. (I think) And yes, them types of people should be interested in Linux. Heck, if you ever watched the TV show "The Big Bang Theory," they had such a group of guys, Sheldon was one of them. If they could get a Linux distro to run a robot to make your coffee in the morning, they are the ones to do it lol. :lol:

JeffK969

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13:14 pm

Would think with his mechanical abilities and Linux knowledge, Aravisian would have already done that. But maybe time is the issue, and it's easier to set the timer on coffee pot. He does keep himself busy....

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06:40 pm

JeffK969 wrote: He does keep himself busy....

This is a very true statement.
It's a coping mechanism, really. I tend to run high-stress and sleep-dep.
Probably have some Mental Issues where I feel like I need to "prove my worth" or something. I'd see a shrink, but who has the time?

Aside from a short stint when I was a kid, which is probably true for most people, robots have never really held much interest for me.
I never really thought about it until you mention it now- but I think I understand why:
Robotics tends to make people redundant. Humans like to be bored, in general. I do not know why, but given a choice between busy and bored, people like to choose boredom and then sit around and complain about it. People like the Easy Route. They like fewer decisions, fewer responsibilities and less effort.
I strongly believe, however, that we often need what we do not like. We need exercise and if not for a speedy lion pushing us, we may not choose it and therefor need a little encouragement.
Robots are a development that instead, encourages the lazy.
I don't think that needs any encouraging.
So, these days, robots have taken a great number of jobs. Seems fine... except robotics extends beyond just a simple mechanism doing a repetitive task. These days, companies shun hiring a team of Qualified people and instead, hire a series of independent analysts and contractors. These people then submit their work as freelancers. That work is then analysed by robots and the robots Learn From How the Freelancers did the work, finding ways to eliminate the need for the freelancers by automating many of those tasks.
Then, that cycle repeats, eliminating more jobs. And the freelancers have no idea that they are contributing to their own demise.
We used to have a balance between development leading to fewer of some jobs but more of higher-tech jobs. Now, we are seeing tech replace Both. And since people are accustomed to the previous history that tech did not create a total loss of jobs, they do not realize that the game has changed. They chastise people that remark on the losses as luddites who fear "progress."

JeffK969

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:38:02 pm

I guess there goes the idea of the perfect woman, who cooks, cleans, doesn't care about Bdays & anniversaries and never, ever complains. As well as never "gets a headache". And can fix all issues, teach us about Linux. All right down the drain... Kidding of course. Imperfection is what makes each individual special and unique. And I think all ladies are special. I mean that.
I hear what you're saying Aravi. You have some Mike Rowe in your logic.

star treker

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:00:27 pm

The way that you think of people, is always going to be based on your experiences in life. If your always treated well, and always loved, your going to have a positive outlook towards said folks. However, if you grow up in life, and are always treated badly, and get used and abused, and thrown away like trash, you will end up having a negative outlook towards said folks.

Without going into too many specifics, I can tell you my experience is of the negative kind. I find many can be selfish as heck, and only care about themselves. And if you try to be nice to them and share them love, they metaphorically bight your head off. I hear what you are saying Jeff, you want to classify all woman as special simply because they were born female.

But lets be honest, nobody is more special then anybody else. Were all born human, regardless of ***. We are given 1-life, and in this 1-life, we can either choose to be a good human being, or a bad one. Some people choose to be good, they choose to be angels, to help people, love people, care for people. Then you have others who chose to be greedy, selfish, evil, sob's who will use you to get what they want until they don't need you no longer.

Because I've been hurt so much, I usually naturally put up a wall to protect myself. But at the end of the day, people have to earn my trust and respect. If someone treats me like dirt, I'm gone. Its really not that hard to be a good person, its just that far too many people choose the rout of being bad. But yeah, I don't subscribe to the all woman are special because they were born female c***.