This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The Gnome Project concerns thread

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:43:05 pm

I was looking up something but can't find it now. Be that as it may my bigger concern stems from this news item from the project pages:

https://www.gnome.org/news/2019/10/gnom ... therlands/

Read closely how they intend to mind meld Wayland to Gnome! If this becomes the only option for Zorin in the future I will leave for a distro that supports Synaptic Package Manager as Wayland prevents this from being accessed even if present on the system. :roll:

star treker

Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:15:41 am

The biggest issue with Gnome, (as we've talked about in the past) is that it is becoming more like Microsoft Windows everyday. The gnome developers clearly are in bed with Microsoft behind closed doors, anyone with an IQ of 100 should be able to see that.

Linux is supposed to be open source, Linux is supposed to let you do what you want, not what it wants. Linux is supposed to be about choice, and your right to choose what you want, and how you want to go about it. Microsoft is about taking your right to choose away from you, and telling you what you will do and that you will like it. The developers of Gnome, in my humble opinion, are breaking the unsaid laws of Linux.

Unfortunately, there is no way to punish the Gnome developers from breaking an unsaid law, so they get away with it. XFCE is superior in every way, and that isn't an exaggeration either, that is a fact. But what bothers me about the XFCE developers, is that it appears that they are going the way of Gnome as well. In the next release of XFCE, its said to become closer to Gnome, and I think that is awful!

As far as I can see right now, XFCE 4.12, is the only option in Linux. Xubuntu 18.04 is pretty much your only choice at this point if you leave Zorin OS. Because it contains XFCE 4.12. I've been told by Aravisian that if you install Xubuntu 18.04, and when the time comes that it wants to update, he said to not let it update, otherwise it will update the OS to the new version, which means also the new desktop version as well.

Aravisian can talk more on the subject then I can as he is more knowledgeable about it. I just have enough knowledge to know that Gnome is evil, and XFCE 4.12 is heaven on earth for desktop computer's. lol - I am sure this topic will spark large debate, and you knew that when you created it SWARF. HEHE :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48:38 am

star treker wrote:As far as I can see right now, XFCE 4.12, is the only option in Linux. Xubuntu 18.04 is pretty much your only choice at this point if you leave Zorin OS. Because it contains XFCE 4.12. I've been told by Aravisian that if you install Xubuntu 18.04, and when the time comes that it wants to update, he said to not let it update, otherwise it will update the OS to the new version, which means also the new desktop version as well.

It will update XFCE4.12 to 4.14. If you prefer 4.12 with gtk2, you can prevent update with the apt-mark hold command
Code:
apt-mark hold xfce4

Code:
apt-mark hold xfdesktop

Code:
apt-mark hold xfce4-panel

star treker

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:24:39 am

Thank you Aravisian for the proper codes, they will help keep vader away from mucking up our rebel base. :D

Aravisian

Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38:35 am

star treker wrote:The biggest issue with Gnome, (as we've talked about in the past) is that it is becoming more like Microsoft Windows everyday. The gnome developers clearly are in bed with Microsoft behind closed doors, anyone with an IQ of 100 should be able to see that.

Linux is supposed to be open source, Linux is supposed to let you do what you want, not what it wants. Linux is supposed to be about choice, and your right to choose what you want, and how you want to go about it. Microsoft is about taking your right to choose away from you, and telling you what you will do and that you will like it. The developers of Gnome, in my humble opinion, are breaking the unsaid laws of Linux.

Unfortunately, there is no way to punish the Gnome developers from breaking an unsaid law, so they get away with it. XFCE is superior in every way, and that isn't an exaggeration either, that is a fact. But what bothers me about the XFCE developers, is that it appears that they are going the way of Gnome as well. In the next release of XFCE, its said to become closer to Gnome, and I think that is awful!

Microsoft, Gnome and XFCE all suffer from the same flaw: They are becoming more controlling of the users in order to fulfil a simple desire for themselves: To make their own jobs working on the software easier.
I think any software developer will naturally gravitate the same way over time- toward more control.

star treker

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10:57 pm

Well if they keep it up, I am going to gravitate my foot in their a***. (I know Red Forman would only be so proud lol :D )