This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Amazon ring - not such a good idea!

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12:17 am

A high level Amazon engineer just said that Ring should be “shut down and not brought back.”

Max Eliaser, a software development engineer for Amazon said in a Medium article, “The deployment of connected home security cameras that allow footage to be queried centrally are simply not compatible with a free society...there is no balance that can be struck." 1

The public criticism comes on the heels of more reports of issues with Ring.

A recent investigation revealed that the Ring app provides personal information — including customer names, private IP addresses, and sensor data — to third parties like Facebook. These companies use digital footprint to track and spy on customers. 2

Amazon still has not addressed the security loopholes identified by Vice. 3

These latest revelations could be the last straw and finally get Congress to act. But it will only happen if we push. Tell Congress to investigate Amazon.

TAKE ACTION - https://www.investigateamazon.com/?refe ... -shut-down

Our strategy is working. Amazon is rattled and desperate. They’re using dirty tricks to insulate themselves from criticism. The technology giant censored a news outlet to stop them from reporting on Ring expansion. 4

Amazon has enormous power in Washington. They’ll dispatch their army of lobbyists to swarm Congress and call in favors with the politicians they helped elect to stop our efforts.

Unless, we mobilize and flood Congress with the voices of everyday people.

Click here to fight back and demand lawmakers do something.

Thank you for taking action to stop Amazon,

Ayele, Fight for the Future

Footnotes:

1. Medium. https://medium.com/@amazonemployeesclim ... 5abcdea849

2. Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/01/r ... y-trackers

3. Vice. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epg4 ... a-security

4. Intercept. https://theintercept.com/2020/01/24/ama ... g-ukraine/

star treker

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:32:56 pm

I'm sorry to say, none of this surprises me. I knew the Ring camera's were not localized in their use. If they have an APP on your phone that can access your camera feed no matter where you are in the world, that means the camera's and the app, use an online cloud service, and the use of the internet. Which means, that the Ring camera's can be easily hacked, either by design, or lack there of, to allow other's to spy on you, including your own government.

I hate to say this, but we've already lost our democracy. People were far too caught up in reality TV shows, that they were not paying attention to what was happening in their government. And now we have a tyrant in office, who's every decision they make, is to enslave the people, for every bit of ill gotten gains that they can take from the people. Our constitution failed, sorry, but it did not save us, greed and power always wins.

So if you think screaming to Congress is going to do any good, sorry to say, it won't do a dam thing, because at the end of the day, money talks, and if you don't got any, then your nothing in the grand scheme of things. Not even our dam Senate will do the right thing, they are so biasstly up that golden haired a***, they can't even see straight. This is all part of the government take over. In essence, our own technology will be our undoing.

When you all think of our democracy, your thinking about your parents generation, and your grandparents generation, and perhaps also your great grandparents generation as well. They all knew what a democracy was, because they lived through it. We however, are the generation where we've been witnessing the government take over, as they spit over the constitution, and laugh, as they instilled a dictatorship.

Also, there is another sign that were in a dictatorship that most people don't think about. Everybody knows that you need a drivers license to be given the right to drive on state roads correct? OK, what you may not be aware of, there are a ton more regulations on truck drivers who drive commercially and have a CDL. Do you think a CDL is all they need and they freely can drive? Think again! Truckers are stopped all over the country to get what is called DOT inspections. And can you guess what the most regulated, and most pain in the a*** state, that causes truckers to go through the worst DOT inspections, where they come up with any little thing to write you a ticket for? Exactly, California!

If we were truly free, there wouldn't be as many laws governing our supposed freedom in this country. Every government decision is designed to stifle the freedoms of humans, in a carefully constructed machine, to keep us dependent on our government. We are also taxed on literally everything in this country. And where I live, you don't see any of that tax going into our local infrastructure. The roads are getting more broken up each year. All that tax money is getting pocketed. In essence, our system is broken. Welcome to the new USA.

And as it turns out, Britain is just about as much bad shape as America is. With that barftard in office, he too is making decisions that ruin that fine country, and bring it to its knees, just as our golden haired barftard is doing. Democracy is a great thing on paper, but when you put it into action, people with emense GREED, will always destroy democracy for their own personal ill gotten gains, which is always driven by money.

Don't expect Congress to do a dam thing, they will continue to sit on their a**es, as more rights and supposed freedoms we had, get taken away from us. The Statue of Liberty was a nice gift, France believed in us back in WWII. Imagine what they think of us now? I'm sure they regret giving us the statue now, as they seen what we've done with democracy. And I have to say that I am truly sorry to all the other 1rst world countries on this earth, who believed in us.

Aravisian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45:43 pm

If the government wants to gather information and spy on people, all they need to do is create a cell phone game that is not pay to win and watch the chats and steal information.

I agree about technology spoiling us rotten and being a major distraction. Democracy- I have long felt that Trump has made it clear through demonstration that we are far more corrupt than previously thought- and has shown the world that "Democracy is easily broken and does not work."
Any tyrant in office that Demands that People only say good things about him; Criticizes the media as he does; Demands state interference into media and RETALIATES against any criticism as he does... If Washington, Franklin, Hancock, Adams, Hale and other historical U.S. creators were to see Trump- the Tyranny of his Administration....

The Corrupt Crooked Republicans in Congress- Every Single One of them except for Mitt Romney Should Be Impeached, too. And they need to be DENIED having a Kangaroo Court like Trumps Impeachment where they voted to Hear No Evidence and Hear No Witnesses. Talk about BLATANT corruption.
OF course- People remember how the Corrupt Democrats Backed and blocked for the Clinton Impeachment so they have also gotten what they sowed. By doing that, they set themselves up, in their partisanship, to receive the same instead of Elected Officials opting to Do The Right Thing.

Trump promised to Drain the Swamp. Instead, he has filled it with his own Swamp Monsters, lying every step of the way.

star treker

Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:40:28 pm

I agree 100% Aravisian. I tell ya, its a breath of fresh air knowing somebody, who actually knows the truth themselves. ;)

And with the US's recent mismanaged handling of the Corona Virus, well, thats just further evidence of corruption right there. I wasn't happy about how Barny handled Fema after Katrina either, so we shouldn't be surprised by having more of the same.

But yeah, in regards to the RING camera's, people should just stay away from them. You can actually get yourself a camera system for cheaper then the RING camera's, that can withstand outdoor temperatures and humidity factors, and can do most if not all of the functions of a RING camera for cheaper. And if you set the camera's up to use the highest level of security and encryption, the chances of being hacked is lower.

Aravisian

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26:57 am

Progress is not always progressive. I can build a B.A. camera system that lacks any advanced programming (An Arduino is even too advanced) that can handle all of the above without being hackable remotely at all.
You cannot tap into the engine of a wheelbarrow.

star treker

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:59:52 am

Of course the best and most secure camera system is going to be wired. If the camera's are not wireless, they can't be hacked! And furthermore, if the wired camera's are on a separate network, which has no access to the internet, then they can't be hacked via the internet either! Believe it or not, an old video game from 2005 called F.E.A.R taught me about that. The camera's in the advanced research and development office building in the game, were on a separate network from the servers that ran the terminals, hence the F.E.A.R team was not able to hack into them. You had to find the security office, where the security stations were, and from there, the video feeds could only be viewed.

Aravisian

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:18:13 am

star treker wrote:Of course the best and most secure camera system is going to be wired. If the camera's are not wireless, they can't be hacked! And furthermore, if the wired camera's are on a separate network, which has no access to the internet, then they can't be hacked via the internet either! Believe it or not, an old video game from 2005 called F.E.A.R taught me about that. The camera's in the advanced research and development office building in the game, were on a separate network from the servers that ran the terminals, hence the F.E.A.R team was not able to hack into them. You had to find the security office, where the security stations were, and from there, the video feeds could only be viewed.

A wired system can be hacked- just not remotely. And the less exposed the wiring is- the hard to do. But it cannot be hacked remotely, especially if the hardware is very minimalistic. 1980's tech beats modern tech in many things.
So there are fridges these days wired in- smart fridges that supposedly can tell you what you have in it. Spying on people too, of course...
Sounds good- except whose fridge is clutter free and organized? Really? Be honest...
So that cam inside the fridge cannot move objects out of the way to view behind them. It sounds good but in practice, I bet you would be standing in the aisle at the store throwing your hands into the air in frustration cuz you can't SEE how much ketchup you have. Whatever minimal supposed convenience it offers ain't worth it.
In the meantime, these fridges of the Internet Of Things- are connected to the web. Yep- total genius, that.