This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

BadBIOS

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:20:15 am

Stumbled on this today:

https://www.newstatesman.com/future-pro ... icrophones

If a computer virus can be transmitted by sound could Human viruses be transmitted to? I wonder if the current pandemic would end if we switched all our tech off for just one day.

star treker

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46:31 pm

Enterprise computers shouldn't even have microphones on them! Ever since the 90's, computer's, with the proper software, could be completely controlled via a microphone. Did people forget about that? It means, if you have computers that you truly want to keep secure, not only should you not have a telephone, or ethernet connection, but you shouldn't have WIFI/Bluetooth, nor a microphone either.

If people can't figure out this problem, then the most secure computer's, must be placed in a Faraday cage. But its up to each company to know how much security that they need, and weather or not they require their computers to dial out to the net. But in an office situation where you have 30+ terminals within 4 feet of each other, I can see how a microphone in each computer, such as a call center for example, could indeed pose a real problem.

You know, I've heard talk about people wanting to use AI to target and remove virus's, but what does that remind you of? If you really know your Terminator history, a virus so bad that it could not be removed by any other means, forced them to activate Skynet to remove the virus. And once the virus was eradicated, then Skynet went over the last one, humans. So, maybe its not a good idea to use AI afterall lol.