This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Keyboard and Mouse!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:39:14 pm

th-23140027880-800x450.jpg

Well I had an issue recently where my existing keyboard could not do '6-key entry' for Braille. I had to dig out an old Trust Keyboard (spacebar has seen better days!). And so I decided to take the plunge for the above - it is such a joy to use having to work from home.

Now awaiting additional 27" Screen and graphics card due to the amount of screens I need to refer to working from home, one screen is a nonsense - especially as I cannot be notified in Office 365 when a new email has arrived plus a new piece of software the school is using, 'Satchel' with 365 Login! The mouse is decent too, scrolling is the best it has ever been in Linux!

Dual connectivitiy format - bluetooth and RF via switches on back of keyboard and under mouse.

Cherry DW-9000 Slim - expensive ... but worth every penny! :D

star treker

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02:00 pm

Yeah, thats what I am talking about, show off that keyboard, you got your cherry sweet! :D

When I first saw the mouse, I thought those stripes were gold. But taking another look, they look more copper or brown color.

I am glad that you are able to at least still work, even if its from home.

I should start my own thread showing my new keyboard and mouse.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:06:45 pm

Yes, it is copper colour - underneath the keys have the same finish so they stand out better than the white keyboard (too much like a Mac! :lol: ) plus black matches the bezel of my monitor ....s! I now have two monitors so I can see Outlook 365 - which doesn't notify you in web version as my work requires at least two windows open and that does not include email and other web apps I have to access. It is weird being able to move an app seamlessly to the new monitor!

th-23164575122-800x450.jpg

I've still got to set it up in Zorin!

star treker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12:18 pm

I see your a fan of Viewsonic, a well known top brand! I remember seeing my first Viewsonic monitor when I was a kid, it was a huge bulky CRT screen, that was plugged into another huge P1 desktop computer. Those were the days, when everything with computer's were clunky and heavy, and you couldn't take them with you. LOL! But on the plus side, those old IBM mechanical keyboards, were the best!

Then they had to come out with membrane keyboards, a whole new generation were brought up on those pieces of c***. And of course as A-typical with everything in life, the new generation had no idea what a mechanical keyboard was. So keyboards went pretty much another 20-years of c***, until mechanical keyboards started making a come back, thank goodness!

How do you like that monitor, whats its specs? Seems to be the same size as the one on the left. Whats its native resolution and refresh rate, as well as response time? I recently acquired a BenQ monitor, which is a 24" IPS panel display. It has a 1080P resolution and runs at 60-Hertz with a response time of 8ms. Its not for competitive gaming, but its a beautiful monitor, love IPS displays!
IMG_1748.JPG

FYI, there is nothing wrong with the monitor. This is me running in Daydream sleepsaver mode on my tablet.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46:06 am

Hi star treker,

It's native resolution is 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz IPS 27" response on purchase site is 5 ms (grey-to-grey) whatever that means. The monitors are identical. The funny thing is on the website it said no speakers (which I wasn't bothered about) but there is an audio socket for line-out on the back, just like the one on the left and yes they are identical ;) :D