This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Latest kernel could cause USB issues!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:58:16 pm

At a recent City Linux User Group (Virtual) Meeting, the leader commented that the latest kernel has had detrimental effect on USB devices. I noticed recently that my Canon Driver for my all-in-one scanner no longer works, nor does the printer! I will have to look into going back to an earlier kernel methinks! :(

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:52:46 pm

Well I just tried test print and scangearmp2 in Feren OS - no issues. But can't get either to work in Zorin - interestingly, FerenOS is using a newer kernel than the one installed on Zorin. Despite my attempts to remove from Zorin and reinstall - nothing.

Screenshot_20200702_193553.jpg

star treker

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:04:09 pm

The kernal better not automatically update without my say so, otherwise there is going to be hell to pay. I know we get automatic updates for our OS and programs. I just hope the kernal isn't one of them. Cause like I said, if my system goes down due to a kernal update, Zorin developers will be hearing from me.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:09:50 pm

Well I got my printer back up and running and the kernel that Feren OS had is now on my Zorin. I think I may have screwed my scangearmp2 trying to be clever using the latest packages from Simple Scan project site - upon reflection! :oops:

Having a meeting tomorrow (virtual) in celebration of Independence Day .... from M$! :lol:

star treker

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17:34 pm

People don't do meetings around here to celebrate independance day. Around here, people shoot off fireworks, both 2-weeks before the holiday, then a crapload of them on the holiday, then a few days after as well. In reality, most people living today, don't even know what the holiday actually means, and just use it as an excuse to make loud noises in the sky. People don't really care about how dangerious they are, how they can easily burn your house down.

When I was a child, I got to watch a firework land in a field, and cause an accidental fire, which burned the whole field down, by the time the fire department could come and put it out. All our poor animals at home that freak out every year during the 4th, because they don't understand all the loud noises, and get so scared because of them. Then how about all the returning vets from war with PTSD, where those fireworks bring them right back to the battlefield every year.

If I have led you to the impression that I hate fireworks and that our whole country should ban them, you would be correct.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51:19 am

I am definitely with you on that one - even 'public displays' can be dangerous. At a local football ground (I think it was in our city) there was a Guy Fawkes firework display and one went astray and hit an attendee in the face. We have crazy people here like that too and the people selling them should check where people live - some of the fireworks that go-off round 5th November (and sometimes 2 weeks before!) should only be used in gardens of 300 ft or more - the average garden round here is about 40 feet by 20 feet. I remember when I was on secondment to an IT Department in the Local Government, my supervisor told me where he lived it was like living in a war zone as every 5 minutes one of those loud bang rockets would go off shaking the window panes! Another bad export from China! :x

star treker

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13:39 am

The really big ones that shake the house as you are mentioning, those are the ones that started showing up the last 4th of July. I just can't believe those are legal to the public! People with a lot of money to spend I guess, you know those costs hundreds of dollars. Well, last year, tons of those really big ones were going off, and because they were so loud, and were shaking my house, not only was the cat scared, but so was I.

I kept going outside, extra vigilant, making sure none of them fell on my roof. Before the fireworks started however, I watered the whole yard down real good with sprinklers. The last several years have been extremely dry 4th of July's, so wouldn't take much for one of those things to set things off. This year we finally got lucky, and its been raining pretty good the last couple days, things are nice and soaking wet, little chance of fires being started around here thank God!

And yes, there is such thing as defective fireworks, and like Murphey's law states, anything that cna go wrong, will go wrong. People need to be smarter, but I'm afraid in the light of recent global events, I think people are getting dumber, and we can't just blame the lead contamination in the water this time.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:17:31 am

Well I hope today is a damp squib day for you star treker. One of the saddest stories I heard a few years back was visiting a local animal rescue centre on a farm not far from where I live - one of those big bang fireworks gave one of their horses a heart attack and died.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:00:37 pm

Well an update on USB and Kernel issues - I spoke to the guy on virtual meeting today and he explained the problem has been The Linux Foundation subcontracting code out to Microsoft. I pointed out that Microsoft should never have been allowed to submit code to the Linux Kernel - who in the Linux community needs Hypervisor? No-one! The guy also told me that it is not often you hear a German coder who contributes to the Linux kernel as stating in English that the Microsoft code recently submitted is "S**T". And there is a group of devotees who are trying to remove M$ from the Linux scene altogether. You can well imagine what can happen can't you? M$ submits code that screws the Linux kernel - Linux gets the blame and then M$ will open its arms to Linux refugees looking for a stable OS - well sorry M$ this user is not for turning! :twisted:

star treker

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13:40 pm

It just gets worse and worse all the time. Microsoft should be banned for messing with Linux.

Aravisian

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32:25 pm

star treker wrote:It just gets worse and worse all the time. Microsoft should be banned for messing with Linux.

That would be up to us users. If M$ was banned from Linux, anyone could be- and that defeats Open Source.
It is Up To Us to be smart and aware.