This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Adding a little festive cheer to your desktop...

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:48:54 pm

or "No! Not more Snow!" - depending on your point of view! Now there is a cute little extension available for Core users - Let It Snow!:

LetItSnow.jpg

The screenshot shows mouse pointer over the extension that gets placed in the panel - this allows how much, little, or none at all of the falling snowflakes.

Enjoy! (or Hate if you so wish!) :lol:

Aravisian

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:12:37 am

I would worry about what will happen to your computer when that snow melts.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:32:54 pm

Don't worry Aravisian, it's not as damaging as Compiz Water effects! :lol:

star treker

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:55:06 am

Oh HA HA Very Funny SWARF! :D

On another note, Compiz never worked for me on Zorin OS. It didn't seem to work well with Gnome shell 3, and it doesn't work under XFCE desktop either. I think Compiz is a failed project that needs somebody with actual programming skills to fix it and make it work for all Linux.

Aravisian

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:30:24 am

star treker wrote:Oh HA HA Very Funny SWARF! :D

On another note, Compiz never worked for me on Zorin OS. It didn't seem to work well with Gnome shell 3, and it doesn't work under XFCE desktop either. I think Compiz is a failed project that needs somebody with actual programming skills to fix it and make it work for all Linux.

I have used Compiz on Zorin 12.4 quite successfully---- As long as you use Gnome-Flashback
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-flashback

You must log our and then select Gnome Flashback where you would select your desktop environment prior to logging in.
You also will need to install ccsm.
Compiz Reloaded works on XFCE - it comes with the package manager on MX Linux 18. I have done this on MX Linux, as well.
I have not tested Compiz on Zorin 15, at all.