This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] multiple keyboard layouts

zordkhan

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45:36 pm

Hi, I have just installed Zorin 12 ultimate and so far I'm very pleased. I noticed on the Lite version I was able to have 3 keyboard layouts, but in the Ultimate I have English UK and English US (to me that counts as one) plus Hungarian. I really need 4 or 5 different layouts. (all left-to-right languages, roman letters with diacritics: Slovak, Hungarian, French, and Italian would be nice). When I go to the Keyboard Settings layout, Slovak, French and Italian aren't even in the list. When I did the installation it did ask me for
a) the main language (I put English)
b) a second language (I put Hungarian)

but there was no opportunity to add more languages.
Is there some packet to install, or will I have to use a virtual keyboard as a work-around? (Hmmm that would be slow).

zorinantwerp

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05:20 pm

Hello
interesting question - you are a true polyglot

in menu goto 'settings' keyboard' and click 'input sources' = region & languages
I found French and Italian but many languages more if you browse the list

good luck

zordkhan

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05:29 am

Thanks Zorinantwerp, but it seems your "Region and Languages" dialogue box behaves differently to mine. I clicked on the "+" sign in "Region & Language" settings, and then click on one of the languages and it brings up a list, but quite a surprising (for me) selection of languages. I scrolled up and down and found lots of versions of English (for Cameroon, Ghana,) also Filipino, and Irish, and Serbo-Croat. But French and Italian and other European languages are not in the list.

Also in your screenshot it looks as though you typed "French" in order to search for it. In my window I found no text field to type into. I'm getting a screenshot ready for you.

zordkhan

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12:51 am

Sorry - Yes Zorinantwerp your solution works. To call up that search box I needed to click on the three vertical dots ( like ... but vertical) ... then click on "other" and type in the languauge. In the theme I am using these dots are almost invisible :0) and that's why I didn't see them.

So this is solved now. Thank you. How should I mark it as solved?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24:56 pm

Hi, Go to your original post, select 'Edit' then in the Subject box at the start enter [SOLVED]. ;) :D