This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Keyboard and touchpad not working

craigmccourt

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02:22 am

If I use a usb mouse and keyboard on my laptop they work just fine, but I can not get the keyboard and touchpad on the computer to work - touchpad is no biggie - I rarely use it - the keyboard - that's a big deal.

I know years ago when I installed mint on an old laptop I needed to go into terminal and call down some keyboard file.... any help would be great a real newbie here!

1. Name (Brand) of Computer Tower/System, Lenoco Thank Pad Twist

2. Amount of available Memory (RAM) 4GB

3. Whether Zorin is the only OS Zorin Only

4. Hard Drive partitioning. As set up by Zorin Install

5. Graphics card make and model, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Touch Screen)

6. Audio chips/Soundcard Intel Display Audio / Realtek High Definition Audio

7. Wireless Dongle or PCI Card, or Wireless Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter + Microsoft WI Direct Virtual Adaptor

8. Whether you ran Zorin Live Yes Worked the same as it does now no keyboard or touchpad on system working, but usb does work

9. Which version of Zorin you have installed/have in mind to install. The Latest Version Just Downloaded today 12.4

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:19:59 am

Hi and welcome. Can we please start at the beginning? Thanks!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

craigmccourt

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34:07 am

OK, I filled in the requested information - thanks!
Lenovo Thank Pad Twist, Intel i5,4GB Running Latest Zorin 12.4 only, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Touch Screen), Intel Display Audio / Realtek High Definition Audio, Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter + Microsoft WI Direct Virtual Adaptor, YES Tried the USB version first - same result keyboard or touchpad on system working, but USB does work

Wireless is not working either yet.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26:59 pm

OK, would be curious to know if this helps. With the external keyboard and mouse that works, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-all

Then after installation completed run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Now shut down the Notebook, remove external devices and reboot the notebook (whilst crossing everything else!)

[With acknowledgements to: https://askubuntu.com/questions/908918/ ... ter-gettin]

Please note that after you enter the first sudo command you will be asked for your user login password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator in that other operating system). You will not see any asterisks or blobs while you type your password in so be careful - you get three attempts before dropping back to a normal user. Once elevated to 'root' you won't have to re-enter with regard to the second set of commands regarding updating your system. ;) :D

zorinantwerp

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54:48 pm

Hi
Lenovo BIOS is causing havoc. Fall in with advice of Swarfendor437 prior suggesting to flash

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26:16 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi
Lenovo BIOS is causing havoc. Fall in with advice of Swarfendor437 prior suggesting to flash

Interesting that it is still an issue - I read a thread to do with earlier Ubuntu releases that needed the BIOS of Twist's to be DOWNGRADED! ;)

craigmccourt

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:31:12 am

OK I tried the two terminal entries and they did not work - Still no keyboard or touchpad or wifi. touchpad I don't need I use a mouse 99% of the time anyway, I would like keyboard and If I need to get external wifi I can do that also if needed.

zorinantwerp

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:34:44 am

Hi

is your keyboard working in BIOS?
under Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) insert
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

the reply should be

please check it out :)

craigmccourt

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00:41 am

Yes it does work when I go into the bios through terminal as above.

I selected a thinkpad keyboard and it is WORKING!!!! Woot Woot!

I'm good with my mouse Now I gust have to play with the wireless wifi. THANKS for your help!!