This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual boot question...

Zorinfan

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06:24 pm

Hey guys, I tried to install Zorin OS 5 Ultimate on my desktop, to make it dual boot along Win7 Home Premium. I wanted to choose the "Install alongside Windows" option, but there is none shown in the menu?!

Is this normal? Why are Windows 7 not showing in the installer menu?

Can someone please explain what am I missing here? :)

Thanks.

Zorinfan

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:12:03 pm

Hey, thanks for quick response, really appreciate it. However, I did not continue installing Zorin, because there was no option to choose to install it alongside Windows 7.

The only 2 options that were there were 1. Erase hard drive and install Zorin and 2. To create partitions and then install ... but didn't want to mess with that, because I've had bad experience with that in the past, no thanks. :)

So, what can I do? Why is the "Install alongside Windows" option not showing? Am I the only one getting this?

Anonymous

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17:48 am

Zorinfan wrote:
So, what can I do? Why is the "Install alongside Windows" option not showing? Am I the only one getting this?

Hi Zorinfan,

hope will help you: http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot ... ct-harmony

Best regards
Andreas ;)

Zorinfan

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:42:03 am

Thanks Andreas, I've checked that and my head hurts now :shock:

Way to complicated for me and I can already see how this would mess up my comp even more... well, I guess I'll have to skip dual boot though.

Anonymous

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55:56 am

Wolfman

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46:18 am

Hi ZF,

I would pre format your drive (assuming you can do that) prior to the install and select "Something Else" when the installer gets that far and manually choose the partitions.

1 root (/) partition for the OS (I have 30 GB)
1 swap (it has no mount point) partition to help with memory (Min of 1GB)
1 home (/home) partition for all your files and system settings (However big you want it!)

Regards Wolfman:)