This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] No wifi Wired Linsys works .. Wifi works in XP

brainshower

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:12:10 am

Following a new Zorin 9 install I have no wifi showing. Wired connection works. I have parttioned XP and Zorin This is the driver shown in XP.
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1092&SUBSYS_30A0103C&REV_02\4&6B16D5B&0&40F0
How do I get this working in Zorin?
Ray

MBMz10

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:07:29 am

Assume you have configured (tried to) it in the network settings?

Can you 'see' the wi fi network in Zorin?

In my experience if you can 'see' your wi fi you should be able to connect.

Bradley

madvinegar

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:42:49 am

Please post the terminal command of:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

brainshower

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:19:42 pm

Entered the terminal command and got "Too many arguments"

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:29:39 pm

You could have done a typo error?

Where it says 'select all' below, click on it and paste in your terminal - then see what comes back!:

Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

brainshower

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:44:05 pm

Here's what I get:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [103c:1363]
Kernel driver in use: wl
05:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection [8086:1092] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30a0]
Kernel driver in use: e100

I've also run into what appears to be a common problem of the computer not powering off after shutdown. I'm thinking of uninstalling and then reinstalling Zorin but don't know how to go about it. I have dual boot along with Windows XP

MBMz10

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:14:18 am

No luck still I see.

This is a link to the Zorin OS FAQ Help page http://zorinos.com/faq.html

There is a section about Wireless drivers and also about UN-installing Zorin OS.
Not that I have ever tried it but have you tried the wireless from the live DVD/USB session? Not even sure if it works but might be worth a shot just for diagnosing if it is your installed version or a hardware/driver issue be you attempt to UN-install and reinstall.

Also if you have a USB Wi-Fi you could try in the interim?

Hang in there!

Hope this is helpful.

Bradley

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15:18 am

Hi MBMz10,

Please be patient and wait for Madvinegar to respond - if you search for him by clicking on the Members link on the silver bar at top then search his recent posts their might be something there that might help.

Happy New Year everyone! :D

brainshower

Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:28:12 pm

Thanks for above. I will uninstall and reinstall because shutdown worked originally and I may have messed something when using update.
I will search this site for anything related to my specific hardware. I tried USB Zorin but it also did not identify wifi. If nothing further appears here I will the windows driver option

brainshower

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:12:18 pm

I found this on another post

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

Can I run this without fear of messing anything up?

madvinegar

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:53:59 pm

Download from here the b43 firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2tjz9jnj9xw5 ... ar.gz?dl=0
(I have uploaded it onto my dropbox account). (If you have ethernet connection do it on your own PC, otherwise you can download it from another PC that has internet connection, and then copy/paste it to your Zorin PC with the use of a USB stick).

As soon as it is downloaded, paste the b43.tar.gz firmware file you downloaded into your home folder.
Right click on it and select "extract here". A new file will be created named "b43".
Open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and write the following commands, the one after the other, pressing <enter> after each one:

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe b43

Your wireless should start working.

brainshower

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:49:41 pm

this is what happened
brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$
brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo: unable to resolve host brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL
[sudo] password for brainshower:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
cifs-utils localechooser-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
bcmwl-kernel-source*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 425 not upgraded.
After this operation, 7,135 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 160741 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu0.1) ...
Removing all DKMS Modules
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
Done.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Purging configuration files for bcmwl-kernel-source (6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu0.1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.103ubuntu4.2) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-74-generic
sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43
brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$ sudo modprobe b43

madvinegar

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:20:18 pm

There is something wrong with your host account. Your wifi should have started working.
Reboot and run again the last two commands.

brainshower

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:32:04 pm

brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43
[sudo] password for brainshower:
brainshower@brainshower-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL:~$ sudo modprobe b43

I will reboot leaving ethernet unplugged and see what happens

brainshower

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:46:42 pm

After I rebooted there was no wifi on Zorin. I the rebooted again into Windows XP. I am sending this reply on wifi thru XP

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:39:56 pm

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but your machine name is atrocious - please take no offence!

In windows you are advised never to use dashes (yes I know Zorin puts it in automatically - i change it to one complete item e.g.,:

41.png

To change your computer name in Zorin follow this guide:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... buntu1404/

Oh, and avoid underscores too! ;) :D

brainshower

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:53:17 pm

Perhaps I should explain; brainshower is similar to brainstorm but without the theatrics.

With all the problems I decided to reinstall Zorin. According to instructions in FAQ I am to delete the ext4 and linux-swap partitions when running from USB
when I attempt to do this I am told I have to unmount any partitions higher than 6 with no explaination how I am to do that. I will search he forum

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:56:15 pm

Nothing wrong with brainshower - the issue is with:

-HP-Pavilion-dv1000-EZ603UA-ABL ;) :D

Re Partition issue, see this thread, in particular, last post, but be sure to read it all:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901490

brainshower

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:15:37 pm

OK thanks I'll get to that (system assigned) name issue perhaps when I understand how to reinstall cause I think that something is messed up as indicated by the issues I'm having. Unfortunately the Install function doesn't seem to give an option to replace existing Zorin so I'm afraid it would replace XP. I'm trying to find out how to do a clean install. Deleting as advised in FAQ doen't work

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:07:40 am

If you get hold of GParted live for USB, boot from that you should get partition editor to run live and delete 'ext4' partitions, just leave your ntfs partition alone - if you installled grub to the mbr you won't be able to boot into XP. If you have an XP disc to hand you will need to boot to that and use 'repair Windows' - log in to C as administrator (let me know if this was XP Home or XP Pro) and once logged on at the terminal enter:

Code:
fdisk /mbr

brainshower

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:47:29 am

I was trying to respond and my desktop disappeared. As I moved the cursor I briefly see boxes saying desktop 1 and desktop 2. I was going to paste a screenshot in the forum and couldn't get it to work. In XP or OS copy paste was the way to go. I'm running into so many problems I may just give up. Before one problem is solved I've run into two more. That was why I left XP.
Thanks for the reply re deleting partition from USB but as I stated I get an error message saying unmount any partition having a number higher than six. I was trying to post an image showing my partitions and the error. Now I've lost the screen showing Firefox. Getting extremely frustrated. Also no offense but as a new user phrases like "installed the grub to mbr" are as meaningful as my lost Firefox screen

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57:41 pm

Hi, what I mean is, when you boot the machine, do you get the menu that Zorin installs with Windows XP listed? If you do you have overwritten the mbr that XP uses to boot from first. If you remove Zorin you will also be unable to boot to Windows XP hence my recovery advice. ;)

brainshower

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:05:52 pm

OK i understand and thankyou for the headsup. I have XP Home Edition. That seems like a dangerous position to leave a user in. I just went thru a disaster with XP because the "backup" discs " they had me make when I bought the new PC failed, and there was no way to test them before failure. Luckily I was able to acquire new originals.
I'm hoping someone will tell me how to reinstall Zorin to give it a proper test. The method in FAQ does not work as there is no info regarding how to deal with the unmount partitions with a number higher than 6

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:14:31 pm

OK, first off do you know how to set admin password? If you can get into XP, boot into safe mode - you should then see Admin account - select it then set a password for it - this is why any Home version of Windows is poor when it comes to security! (It was one of the distros that allowed hackers to launch attacks from unwitting owners who had not set any password on the hidden Admin account!) Can you confirm you can still boot into XP?

brainshower

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:31:11 pm

I haven't made any changes or deletions so I can log in to XP plus parted on USB. I am currently reading the gparted writeup

brainshower

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:38:28 am

Thanks for all the help. I sucessfully reinstalled XP and Zorin 9 dual boot. Still have some issues not resolved but I consider this closed. I will post my impressions in a new post headed First Impressions New User

brainshower

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:56:15 am

Thanks to Swarfendor437 regarding password. I have sucessfully created a strong admin pw.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 17, 2018 6:55:35 pm

brainshower wrote:Thanks for all the help. I sucessfully reinstalled XP and Zorin 9 dual boot. Still have some issues not resolved but I consider this closed. I will post my impressions in a new post headed First Impressions New User

Please be aware that Zorin 9 support ends in April 2019 (Just like Ubuntu 14.04 on which it is based) - Zorin 12 will be going strong until April 2021.