This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't run or install Zorin 12.2 Core

knobby

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19:29 am

Hi,
I am trying to run Zorin on a customers HP laptop (not sure of the specs but it's quite new - 6Gb Ram, 500Gb HDD) from a pen drive. I can get the laptop to boot from the pen drive, and I get the Zorin logo which pulsates for a while and the activity light is flashing on the pen drive. After a short period the pulsating of the logo stops, the activity light goes out and I have to hard reset the laptop.
I tried installing rather than just running from the pen drive and the same thing happens.
Any idea what I can do to make it work? I've turned off secure boot in the BIOS just in case but it didn't help, and the pen drive is the one I used to install Zorin on the computer I am using to write this message.
TIA

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:12:33 pm

Hi, What OS is on the HP Notebook at present? Is it to be a dual-boot? Also what processor is in the Notebook - some Intel Processors can be a pain when it comes to GNU/Linux. I always install from the live desktop to avoid issues but you aren't getting there - the other general issue with HP is that they usually max out the hard drive with 4 Primary partitions - hidden partition to boot to Firefox etc without booting the OS, C:\Drive, Recovery Partiton, Recovery DVD creation partition. One of the partitions is going to have to go in order to create an Extended partition by shrinking C:\ drive if dual booting. If Windows 8 or above, advanced Power Settings that are hidden will have to be turned off - this is what puts the hard drive into sleep state so that when you boot it will boot to Windows instead of your other device.