This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Persistence / Installation to USB flash dirve

pluto

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30:03 am

Hello
I tried Zorin OS 12.2 light 32 and 64 bit, and core 32 bit, saved as "live" on an USB flash drive.
It would be really good for me, because wine is installed AND my WLAN module intel-wireless-ac-3165 is recognized. But there are 2 reasons why I have to look for another distro:
There is no persistence, at least not for users who don't have terminal knowledge. I would have to edit at least WLAN keys and keyboard layout (to German) after each boot. Unetbootin is offering persistence with Zorin, but it does not work. While starting Zorin it hangs.
Full Installation from a USB live started Zorin to another flash drive is not possible. The second flash drive is not recognized by the installer. Apart of that, Zorin wants to write a bootloader to the hard disk.

It would be great, if with a future version persistence or full installation to a flash drive would be possible. Are there any plans to do that?

Thanks for information.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18:13 pm

Not that I am aware of and there are not many usb creators that offer that option so my advice is to follow this guide here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/

pluto

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33:34 pm

To Swarfendor437
Unfortunately Linux Live USB Creator does not offer persistence with Zorin.
Also Yumi offers persistence with Ubuntu, but not with Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21:01 pm

Well that is down to the pendrive applications not keeping up with distribution changes. I say this from experience of unetbootin myself.