This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

White noise Radeon GPU during install

thanster

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41:40 pm

Good day folk.

Completely new to Linux I succesfully installed Zorin 12 thanks to the build-in Intel GPU. With my Radeon HD7870 it will not work. During OS installation white noise before a solid white screen appears. When retrying after installation the same. I have Zorin running on a dual boot system alongside Windows 7 x64.

To me is weird and incomplete mentioning NVIDIA only on the activate graphics card page. AMD drivers are proprietary too?

Kindly asking for guidance

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:40:52 pm

Hi, You mentioned built-in Intel GPU - you say it works with that but not with AMD Card? AMD dropped it's individual driver support some time ago - most AMD drivers that work are included in the GNU/Linux kernel - that is why there is no separate AMD cards any more. Have you tried changing the boot parameters? You need to press the 'E' key to edit at boot time - try adding 'nomodeset' to see if it helps. ;) :D

thanster

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56:31 pm

Thanks to you.

Works with built-in GPU and does not with dedicated AMD Card is correct. Pressing E shows bits I do not understand. Where precisely should I add nomodeset?

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:49:27 pm

Hi, add it right at the end - press spacebar first then enter 'nomodeset' without the speech marks - also try 'acpi=off' and 'nolapic' too to see if it helps. ;) :D

thanster

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07:40 pm

What I did is after E press cursor down to last entry and directly beneath it enter nomodeset followed by F10. Is that how it is done? Result is unknown command. The same for nolapic. Acpi=off does not return any message but does not solve the white noise neither.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52:59 pm

thanster

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18:08 am

Thanks to you again.

Too difficult for a lazy beginner like me. I shall need looking at alternative distros 8-)

thanster

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51:30 am

White noise to solid white screen is not a problem specific to Zorin. Occurs on ElementaryOS also.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26:45 pm

thanster wrote:White noise to solid white screen is not a problem specific to Zorin. Occurs on ElementaryOS also.

Well as I have stated elsewhere, hardware is designed with closed systems in mind and not for GNU/Linux:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/ac ... s-gnulinux