This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Installer lands at Grub screen/Load kernel error

sidnov

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44:09 pm

Fix: Use Rufus or Drivedroid to host the image

Hey there!
New guy here to Linux as well as the forums, please move the thread if it violates rules, etc

So I am an experienced Windows guy, trying to switch to Zorin after a Windows Update screwed up my PC. I booted using Windows Installation Media, copied the files from the Desktop, Documents to another partition, and "deleted" C: partition to make the space unallocated. I downloaded the 64-bit ISO, burned it to a USB using Etcher and booted it on my desktop. I don't understand if there's anything that went wrong while doing this, but I don't get an installation screen for Zorin, instead land at a Grub screen, which also says to load kernel first. I am completely new to Linux, and am hoping to getting it up and running on my Desktop.
Please let me know if there's anything more that I should mention here..

Specs: Intel Pentium G2030 3GHZ
4GB RAM
500GB HDD with about 100 gigs free for Linux/Swap Area
NVidia Geforce 210 1GB Graphic Card

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06:36 pm

Hi, I tried Etcher when it was first suggested and my AV through a wobbly at it. I would give Rufus a try:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/c ... -easy-way/

Personally I am an old-fashioned geek who prefers DVD's but once installed I then use MultiSystem - the downside being you need a GNU/Linux installation to run/use MultiSystem.

See if Rufus gets you any further. ;) :D

sidnov

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:06:18 pm

I used Drivedroid soon after I made this post, and voila! Hosted the iso as DVD from my Android, struggled a bit while setting up the file structure, removing the Windows bootloader, etc, and now Zorin works like a charm! Thanks a ton for the help btw :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:42:47 pm

Glad you are sorted! ;) :D
Oh, and thanks for sharing your solution. ;)