This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dual boot Windows 10 & Zorin

TBTomeX2006

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:18:01 pm

I would like to do a dual boot but I do not know how to do someone can help me :?:

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:32:14 pm

Hi and welcome. Is this a PC that came with Windows 10 on or an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows? ;)

zorinantwerp

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16:52 am

Hi TBTomeX2006

Pending your reply (please give details of your laptop too for checking) here some facts you need to know

Microsoft Secure Boot is a component of Windows 8 and 10 that relies on the BIOS/UEFI to prevent "unauthorized" operating systems like Linux from loading during the start-up process. If your hardware supports the UEFI specifications, you need to disable Secure Boot:

Open the BIOS menu. Check if you can access this menu by pressing a key during the bootup sequence, such as F1, F2, F12, or Esc. Or, from Windows, hold the Shift key while selecting Restart from the Start Menu. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings.

+++

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42:48 pm

zorinantwerp's reply has also reminded me that you also need to turn off the advanced power settings that are normally hidden. This setting puts the hard drive to sleep rather than shutting down completely which will also prevent user booting off other media to install GNU/Linux. ;) :D

timothyblevins5

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17:26 am

Thanks for sharing the answer to this topic. Will definitely try this one on my OS Windows 10. Will it work for Windows 8.1 pro? Thank you. Go2top Power ISO.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06:18 pm

Yes you can do it in Windows 8.x too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0