This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Zorin OS 12.3 Ultimate

Ghostieboi

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26:56 am

Hello. I'm pretty new to Linux, but i have used Zorin OS before. I have the 12 Ultimate, but I'm unable to get it into a useable state. I use Rufus to make a bootable USB to install Linux using the ISO. During installation, sometimes it will work perfectly. Other times, it will have trouble installing the boot loader. This causes me to have to attempt the install from scratch. When it does work, the USB OS has a decent resolution. When in the actual install, I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution. I have a Nvidia GTX 1070ti. I've tried using sudo atp-get install nvidia-current but when I do that, after the reboot, display flickers, green lines at bottom, then a flash of text, then thats gone, and the green lines flash again. I've tried going into the Software and Updates > additional drivers, but it ALWAYS says no additional drivers found. I've been trying to get it to work for hte past 7 hours. At one point, I Was able to download the current drivers from nvidia website, but i have no clue how to install them.

I need some help guys. What am I doing wrong?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54:38 am

Hi, for installing drivers directly from nvidia:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13719#p60114

If still issues, because you have purchased ultimate, please raise a ticket on the main site:

https://zorinos.com/help/zorin-premium-support/

Ghostieboi

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52:08 pm

I've tried multiple things, and the thing is, it installed before. I had to redo the installation due to the graphics messing up. I did everything the same. Use the USB Drive, Select "erase Disk", i then select the empty 320GB hard drive. It goes through 30min of formatting and installing everything, and once it hits the GRUB install, it comes up with the error "Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed. This is a fatal error.". Then, if gives me a selection of which drive to put the boot loader on. I have two other drives. one is a 4TB storage drive and the other is a 960GB SSD, with my Win10 OS on it. I select any of them, including the empty 320GB HDD I want to install ZorinOS on. All that happens is the dialogue box flips, and the same error comes up. Like I said, it worked before. But now it isn't, and I'm doing nothing different. I've even gone so far as to boot into recovery, and use the rebuild packages command. it goes through that fine. I've scoured the internet this morning, and for 7hrs last night (when this topic was posted, it was the 7hr mark). Do I disconnect my other two drives? Why, if I was able to get it to install and run before? Like I said, it has happened, but had to reinstall due to a graphics driver glitch mentioned in the first post.

I have some questions.
1) When it comes up with the selection to choose install alongside existing OS's, or erase disk, and I choose to install alongside of the Win10, will I be able to choose where Zorin OS goes? Like for example, I choose that, will I be able to choose a location, such as my empty 320GB HDD to put Zorin OS there?

2) Let's say I installed ZorinOS and it is working good. Except for the display resolution. I select the system details, and there is no gfx card (I have a GTX 1070ti) listed. I go to the nvidia website, and download the linux 64-bit drivers for that card. How do I go about installing them? I've looked everywhere for a terminal command, and I can't find a clear way of doing it.

I'm learning Linux in school now, and would like to practice on my own system.

Thank you in advance for your helps.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46:42 pm

Hi, first off I would leave Windows 10 on its own SSD. I would disconnect the SSD and any other drive other than the one you intend to install Zorin on.
I would then choose the last option of the installer, but first boot into the live desktop and run the installer from the 'Install to HD' icon on the live desktop, and choose the last option, the 'something else' method.
Create a Primary Partition, formatted to Ext4 FS and mark as '/' (root file system = C:\ in Windows) - make it 30 Gb (30720 Mib in size), then create an Extended Partition immediately after the Primary partition. Inside the extended Partition, create a 'swap area' at the END of the extended partition - it should equal in size to your physical RAM so if you have 4 Gb RAM in your machine, make it 4096 Mib in size. For the space left out in front of swap area, make this you '/home' folder, formatted to Ext4 FS - this is where all your personal data and any Windows Applications will be stored, if you intend to use WINE (Wine Is No Emulator).

You could always try decalman's text only method of install which is what he had to do when having issues with nvidia driver/graphics when installing Zorin 9:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13063&p=57294&hilit=decalman#p57294

Ghostieboi

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12:40 am

Thank you for that help. I had actually solved all issues. I installed from a DVD (burned the ZorinOS ISO onto it). I loaded into the live desktop, messed around with it, made sure it worked. Then, I clicked the "Install ZorinOS". I chose "install alongside Win10" and selected the empty and unformatted 320GB HDD I was going to use for it. It selected the proper choices after that, like Language, Keyboard setup, Time-zone, ecetera. Once all of that was done, it said "Installation complete. Please reboot the system to use ZorinOS." So I did. Once I did, it was at a 640x480 resolution. I went to nvidia and downloaded the proper drivers. I renamed the drivers to Graphics.run. Then, I booted into Windows, and ran the OS in a virtual machine, so it could update everything. Once this was done, I checked for updates and other drivers. Once it got done installing all of them, I reboot the virtual machine, and then installed the graphics drivers. I used "sudo sh Graphics.run" I entered in my PW. It did come up with a couple of warnings. It stated that there was no compatible device. I selected ok. It then stated another error. I selected ok on that one as well. It finished installing the drivers, so I shut down the virtual machine, and then reboot the physical machine into Zorin OS itself. I was greeted with Full HD graphics, on both monitors. Zorin OS is a very picky OS. But so far, I do like using it a lot.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39:29 pm

Great job, and thanks for sharing your solution. Can you please go back to your original post when you next login, edit the Subject: with [SOLVED] in front - thanks. ;) :D