This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Installing 12.3 Ultimate

SteveD

Wed May 23, 2018 5:30:31 pm

Having a problem with this but thw otherv threads with problems all seem to be about dual boot which I don't want.

The problem I have is that after downloading and burning to USB key with Ethcher I boot, get the grub menu and then whether I choose Try or Instal the pc just reboots. There is a message that flashes on the screen that can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZH8mODKgTw (21 seconds)

I've tried premium help, opened a ticket but got no reply

Swarfendor437

Wed May 23, 2018 5:42:44 pm

Looks like you need to update your motherboard driver. I paused the video where the error message and started with the first line:

https://superuser.com/questions/1052023 ... le#1061225

Follow the advice on the above link and hopefully you should get sorted. ;) :D

Keep us posted!

SteveD

Wed May 23, 2018 5:53:12 pm

Thanks fro the reply Swarfendor, it's more than I got from Premium Support, but6 the motherboard has the latest bios flash

Swarfendor437

Wed May 23, 2018 5:58:27 pm

OK, I just want to say I have never been a fan of Etcher, I haven't tried Rufus but it gets good reports.
(https://rufus.akeo.ie/)

Now let's start with booting into live mode (try) that is ALWAYS the way I have done it from Zorin 4! ;)

Press the left shift key to see if you get any GRUB MENU or press 'E' to edit the boot parameters and enter:

press space bar once then space between each of the following items:

Code:
ACPI=off nomodeset xforcevesa nolapic noapic

Keep us posted! ;) :D

Just updated - forgot the 'noapic'

Taken from Unofficial Zorin Manual.

SteveD

Wed May 23, 2018 6:06:24 pm

same result :(

Swarfendor437

Wed May 23, 2018 7:30:54 pm

OK, rewind time. Did you check the md5sum/SHA key against the downloaded ISO? Try Rufus?

Other things to check:
Is the BIOS set to AHCI? If not change it to that.
Are you using SSD hard drive? Samsungs just will not run GNU/Linux on them.
and as for the last error message:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13732697

zorinantwerp

Thu May 24, 2018 8:26:12 am

Hi StevenD

Had a look at your video and I got a MSI laptop working in dual mode once (cannot remember model) . Perhaps you can give it a try as a second option.

Open your BIOS Settings. Press”DELETE” on MSI logo when first turning on the PC.
Disable “SecureBoot” on your BIOS under tab “Security”
Run your Zorin by Inserting USB key and restart
When GRUB appears, highlight “Install Zorin” then press “e”

Add “acpi=off” after the line “quiet splash” then press F10
Wait until the GUI appears, then install your Zorin OS
After the installation finished, eject the USB key and restart your laptop

If GRUB doesn’t show up after restart, change the boot priority in your BIOS: “Open BIOS -> Boot -> Boot Order -> Change Boot Order #1 to Zorin” then press F10 and restart
When GRUB appears, press ‘e’ then add “nouveau.modeset=0” after “quiet splash” line, then press F10

I prefer to work with a DVD instead of USB key

prior starting make a backup :)
cheers

Swarfendor437

Thu May 24, 2018 12:03:23 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:Hi StevenD

Had a look at your video and I got a MSI laptop working in dual mode once (cannot remember model) . Perhaps you can give it a try as a second option.

Open your BIOS Settings. Press”DELETE” on MSI logo when first turning on the PC.
Disable “SecureBoot” on your BIOS under tab “Security”
Run your Zorin by Inserting USB key and restart
When GRUB appears, highlight “Install Zorin” then press “e”

Add “acpi=off” after the line “quiet splash” then press F10
Wait until the GUI appears, then install your Zorin OS
After the installation finished, eject the USB key and restart your laptop

If GRUB doesn’t show up after restart, change the boot priority in your BIOS: “Open BIOS -> Boot -> Boot Order -> Change Boot Order #1 to Zorin” then press F10 and restart
When GRUB appears, press ‘e’ then add “nouveau.modeset=0” after “quiet splash” line, then press F10

I prefer to work with a DVD instead of USB key

prior starting make a backup :)
cheers

He doesn't require dual boot - just Zorin. ;)

zorinantwerp

Thu May 24, 2018 5:54:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
He doesn't require dual boot - just Zorin. ;)

close but no cigar for zorinantwerp :twisted:

SteveD

Fri May 25, 2018 5:34:23 am

Thanks for all the help guys, it seems I have tried so many things I think I just have to accept that this PC is past it (the last Bios update was 2014.

I have 12 core running on a second hand Dell Inspiron 1764 which dual boots with Win 7, my wife uses this most of the time. I think it's time to treat myself to a new computer. I do like Zorin but I won't be paying for Ultimate on any future releases, my ticket still hasn't been answered :(

I've been looking at this if anyone has any comments https://www.entroware.com/store/hybris I was thinking of a 500gb hard drive in the second storage bay for /home and then utilising my NAS (Openmediavault with a 4TB RAID) to store most things on.

Now. how do I stop SWMBO using windows :)

Swarfendor437

Fri May 25, 2018 11:35:47 am

Ok, there is one more option available before ditching completely but NO GUARANTEES:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810#p38714

Just bear in mind that the Brothers Zorin are/were on a Uni course leaving only the two other devs to field calls and perhaps they are tied down with the next set of updates but I am not defending no response - just looking at possibilities. My only other comment would have been to try the Core first before paying for the Ultimate, which is what Zorin Team usually recommend on their site/advice section.

As for Entroware, PM Finston Pickle as he owns a Notebook which he installed Zorin on - if it's a desktop I don't know anyone who has one on here. I only learned of Entroware via Finston Pickle's posts. ;) :D

[I have PM'd Team Zorin about your plight. ;) ]

SteveD

Tue May 29, 2018 7:25:59 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Ok, there is one more option available before ditching completely but NO GUARANTEES:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8004&p=38810#p38714

Just bear in mind that the Brothers Zorin are/were on a Uni course leaving only the two other devs to field calls and perhaps they are tied down with the next set of updates but I am not defending no response - just looking at possibilities. My only other comment would have been to try the Core first before paying for the Ultimate, which is what Zorin Team usually recommend on their site/advice section.

As for Entroware, PM Finston Pickle as he owns a Notebook which he installed Zorin on - if it's a desktop I don't know anyone who has one on here. I only learned of Entroware via Finston Pickle's posts. ;) :D

[I have PM'd Team Zorin about your plight. ;) ]

Thanks for all your help Swarfendor but I've given up. I think the motherboard is just too old to run 12,3 and it was time for a new PC anyway, a laptop will be useful and they are going to email me when the Hybris is back in stock.

( still no reply to my ticket though :()

zorinantwerp

Tue May 29, 2018 8:07:43 am

SteveD wrote: https://www.entroware.com/store/hybris I was thinking of a 500gb hard drive in the second storage bay for /home and then utilising my NAS (Openmediavault with a 4TB RAID) to store most things on.

looks nice enough and delivered with latest Ubuntu. as you know Zorin ultimate 12.03 rolling version is still based on Ubuntu 16.04 for coming months anyhow.

make sure you check on drivers of NVIDEA or open source is you go for gtx 1050 graphics.

enjoy :)

SteveD

Thu May 31, 2018 5:15:15 am

I'll probably stick with Ubuntu, at least for the warranty period, Entroware provide software support for that and let's face it, it has to be better than Zorin's non-existent effort

zorinantwerp

Thu May 31, 2018 8:15:51 am

Thanks SteveD

this thread is now CLOSED

cheers