This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System on USB-Stick boot to RAM and persistent ?

ds2k5

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:20:19 am

Hi,
is it possible to create a USB-Stick with ZorinOS boot to RAM an save (changes, Updates, etc.) persistent to USB-Stick ?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06:59 pm

It should be - if you have an installed GNU/Linux system, use the MultiSystem program to do just that. I uploaded an old version that needs to be updated after installation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13887&hilit=+multisystem.tar.bz

pcfan5

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44:26 pm

ds2k5 wrote:Hi,
is it possible to create a USB-Stick with ZorinOS boot to RAM an save (changes, Updates, etc.) persistent to USB-Stick ?
Thanks

Hello, yes you can!, here is a very helpful link to another forum from another distro, but it works!. It is a tutorial on how to create the persistant partition and create a USB with Multisystem. (followind also Swarf suggestion). In this link the tell a different way of installing Multisystem but the result is the same. Please read patently first.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=229086

I have done it with Linux Mint Mate. However I wasn't able to do it with Zorin Core 12.3, anyway I didn't tried enough.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23:34 pm

I have just checked my MultiSystem thumb drive and yes I did get Zorin 12.3 Ultimate (Core not Lite) 32-bit .iso to install and run live from the memory stick. ;) :D

pcfan5

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10:54 am

Cool! I forgot to say that I tried with Zorin 12.3 Core 64 bits

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:15:17 pm

In respect of 64-bit OS's I have Oz Diamond BII and Freespire on there too. ;) :D

willy dod

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30:37 pm

I hadn't found this page before I found this URL https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/ and it worked on my Dell Precision M2800 Lap with little trouble. (Maybe it will be an answer for someone else) I used it with Zorin 12.4 Ultimate onto San Disc "Ultra Fit" 32 GB... Happy 2020

Aravisian

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26:51 am

willy dod wrote:I hadn't found this page before I found this URL https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/ and it worked on my Dell Precision M2800 Lap with little trouble. (Maybe it will be an answer for someone else) I used it with Zorin 12.4 Ultimate onto San Disc "Ultra Fit" 32 GB... Happy 2020

Thanks for the tip. This topic recently came up from another poster and we struggled a couple pages to get that one sorted out.

willy dod

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28:06 pm

YW

Have you/they started changing the compatibility for being compatible with the 'SBC' world type computers, also? Odroid, Ras Pi, etc. - I think it would run great on them!!!

Aravisian

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40:40 pm

willy dod wrote:YW

Have you/they started changing the compatibility for being compatible with the 'SBC' world type computers, also? Odroid, Ras Pi, etc. - I think it would run great on them!!!

Are you referring to the compatibility of Zorin?
I know Zorin 12 can be installed and run on many tablets and I have heard rumors of it being installed successfully on a cell phone. I have not followed up to check the veracity of the claim.