This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

32Bit UEFI/64BitCPU: Grub w. Zorin Installation and more

Katta

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:02:33 pm

Concerns: Zorin Lite Ultimate

Hey everyone,

As a Linux newbie, I have and had several problems installing Zorin Ultimate Lite. Some I could already resolve, but right now I am stuck as during the install process the Grub installation fails.
Zorin is intended to be the only OS on the system (no parallel windows).

To start with some questions before I go into the details:
1. Is it possible to download a complete 32Bit Grub install version and install it from a USB stick via the use of the live 64Bit (!) Zorin OS? (USB stick installation is necessary as the machine can not access the internet...) If yes - what would be the exact steps or commands? That would be the best option I could see...

2. Alternatively, any ideas where to get the files that the below-mentioned error messages under 2. that appear while booting refer to ?

3. If someone could check my partitioning settings under 3. to see if they are alright for Grub?

To give the whole text below a certain structure in this documentation, I will divide it into steps 1-4:
1. My System

It's an exotic iRulu W1101 and is a bit special:[/b]

- 32 Bit UEFI
- 64 Bit Processor (Intel Atom Z3735F @ 1,33 GHz, x64 based)
- UEFI version: InsydeH2O Version Walk.WI102.JEBNECA02
- 2GB Ram
- 29GB free disk space on a main disk that is identified as „MMC NCard“ by the Zorin install routine
- Pre-Installed was a 32 Bit Windows 10 Home
- Zorin-Installation from USB drive as single OS (no parallel Windows intended)

2. It does boot, but with Grub-related errors...
One Major problem seems to be the destination pc’s rarer combination of 32 Bit UEFI with 64 Bit Processor (Intel Atom Z3735F @ 1,33 GHz, x64 based).

I tried both versions of Zorin Lite Ultimate – 64Bit and 32Bit. Neither of the 2 versions would boot as it was “out of the box” with this UEFI/CPU combo. I kept getting error messages that related to 386/32 Bit-files missing / not found while trying to boot (this is obviously due to the 32Bit UEFI).
I managed to get the 64Bit ISO image of Zorin Lite Ultimate to boot by adding an bootia32.efi to the root menu of the installation stick, plus additionally to \EFI\BOOT, as I had error messages referring to that path and file. The 32it ISO won’t work by any means so far, despite me thinking it could work far better concerning the assumed 32bit GRUB that it probably includes (and since the system has only 2GB RAM it seems questionable if the 64 Bit Zorin version has any advantage).
If anone is interested, I will document the major steps I had to take to get the 64Bit Image to boot in the end of this text – took me ages to figure all of this out via several web pages so maybe this can help others with similar problems.

As far as I got the 64ISO to run, I still receive some obviously Grub-related error messages while it boots, before I get into the Zorin UI:
---------
Error: file ‘/boot/grub/i386.efi/gfxmenu.mod’ not found.
Error: file ‘/boot/grub/i386.efi/png.mod’ not found.
Error: file ‘/boot/grub/i386.efi/gfxmenu.mod’ not found.
Error: module ‘gfxmenu’ isn’t loaded.
Press any key to continue…

--------

These messages are probably linked to the later Grub installation problem (?).

3. The install process and finding the right partitioning settings for Grub and Zorin...

However, at this point, after pressing a key, the system continues to a GRUB 2.02 (beta 2)menu from where you get the options to try Zorin without installing, install Zorin, or check disk for defects.
It works fine to get into Zorin trial mode without installation from here, and start the installation from the appearing Zorin desktop.

Since I am a total Linux beginner, I had difficulty finding the right partitioning settings – this could be one source of the Grub problem I describe in the following, but not sure (??).

During the installation process, I created the following partitions:

- 1st partition 4GB defined as „Efi“ partition – selected that one for the bootloader (maybe false because it’s an UEFI and not EFI system?)
- 4GB defined as SWAP-Drive
- 18GB System drive as EXT4, mounted under Root
- 4GB as Ext 4, mounted under \home

Maybe also a bit special – it recognizes the main built-in storage as “MMC/SC-Card #2”.

4. Grub installation in the end keeps failing...

Yet, installation continues properly until it gets to the final point where Grub as the bootloader is intended to be installed.

The appearing error message says (freely translated into English - I work with a localized version):
The package >>grub-efi-ia32<< could not be installed to /target/. Without GRUB-Bootloader the system won’t boot.
"
In this message, 'target' is not replaced by anything, it really says target.
And indeed, the system won’t boot if restarted. However, before I restart, the process tries to create an error report, but the window cannot be closed any more and doesn’t react, so there obviously is no report.

When I tried again, I got the feedback:
“Problem in ubiquity: The problem can not be reported. This is not an official Zorin package. Please remove all packages of third-parties and repeat the process.”

… just to remind: I did use the official Zorin ISO, with the mentioned modifications because it wouldn’t boot.
From here, I won’t get any further. Zorin seems to be installed, so what I need is mainly advice for a GRUB install/repair to finally be able to boot to Zorin.

My thinking is that I might try to install GRUB manually, but not being anyhow experienced with Linux systems, I am a bit helpless here… Please note that the system does not have internet access, as I seem to lack an appropriate network driver (for a Realtek RTL8723BS WiFi/Bluetooth combo - I will post about this in a separate thread). So any software I might need aditionally must be imported via USB stick from another PC.

Any helpful idea is appretiated. As I am really a novice, please explain in small and easy-to-understand steps if you have ideas.
Your assistance is appreciated loads!!

------------
Appendix: How I got the 64Bit ISO of Zorin to boot on this 32Bit UEFI / 64Bit CPU system:

- Got the Zorin Lite Ultimate 64 Bit ISO file and brought it onto a stick by the use of Rufus creation tool

- Manually added the bootia32.efi as described above, which I had several versions of at some point (some web downloads, and I believe it was also on Zorins 32Bit ISO… however, I couldn’t figure out any more which one was the one that worked in the end, as not any bootia32.efi would do). Mind that the bootia32.efi is needed because of the special 32 Bit UEFI system despite the fact that the processor is 64 bit, which causes the original 64Bit Zorin installation ISO to NOT work since it doesn’t include that file!

- On power up, press ESC -> Enter UEFI by choosing “SCU” from graphic menu -> Boot section -> “Add Boot Options” set to “First” (USB sticks priorisation over local disk), “USB boot” enabled, “UEFI fast boot” disabled, “Quick boot” and “Quiet Boot” also… return to graphic menu after hitting F10 to save all changes

- “Secure Boot Option” in graphic menu: all items under “options” disabled, back to graphic menu

- “Boot from file” -> choose the manually placed bootia32.efi and it will boot into Zorin life system from the stick

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04:39 pm

Windows 10 machines are an issue and whilst it is too late to go back, avoid any eMMC machines in future as soon as one component fails, the machine cannot be repaired!

Take a look here:

https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install ... ecure-boot

I don't have any UEFI rigs so can't advise further apart from cold comfort:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14108

If you are based in the UK, the only UK distributor selling Linux ready hardware is Entroware:

https://www.entroware.com/store/

Katta

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:10:57 pm

Yes, it was a mistake to buy this machine for sure! Thank you for the hints! I'm not in the UK but I will check out the site nevertheless!
I actually thought about discarding the machine right away since I had a lot of trouble with it already. However, I don't like discarding hardware that still works and the hardware itself didn't show any issues so far. It's the OS that gives me headaches really - and the preinstalled Windows that it had before wasn't any better unfortunately. The hardware is practically a better smartphone in a convertible case... that's why I thought Zorin light was a good idea... :? Will pay better attention next time for sure :idea: !!

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28:56 am

The Linux article I posted, if you are in US quotes Zareason and System76 as Linux System builders. ;)