This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Ultimate 12.4 64 Bit ISO wont install

Mattnich

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:05:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the latest version of 64 Bit Core on the weekend, installed it and I liked it enough to make the purchase of Ultimate. The Link came after I made the payment.

I built the Install USB in the same manner as Core with Rufus and the installer crashes.

As I had some work to do, and no Operating System, I was able to do a fresh install of the latest 64 Bit version of Ubuntu, and I also later on the same machine did a fresh install of the latest 64 Bit version of Linux Mint. I did these installs to prove is wasn't something with my Laptop.

Being frustrated, I looked at the email and followed the download link, which I guessed may be different form the one after the payment page. After Downloading the ISO and installing it in the normal way the installer crashes again :-( I tried a few different options and the best I got was to see the "Copying Files" message when I didn't connect to the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it.

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

zorinantwerp

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50:06 am

Hi

if you fill in 'checksum' into the search area you will find some queries/answers
perhaps this one will help you out allready
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13760&p=60268&hilit=checksum#p60268

if you happen still to have a DVD rom on your laptop/PC it is - by experience - much easier to install from

check also on the blog page https://zorinos.com/ for help in first instance

I suspect the download got errors but you can do same over and over again based on the link you obtained when the payment was done

please let know outcome as we must make it work for you :)

+++

Mattnich

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50:17 am

Hi, so I tried a few things with some progress but no success.

The original ISO I downloaded, I downloaded to a different folder, and then downloaded it again on a different PC.

All the MD5 Hash Checks were the same, though none were the same as on the download page, but I am putting this down to it being an ISO and not a ZIP type archive file.

I then used Rufus to Check the USB Drive and also not do a quick format, which for a 16GB USB Drive, takes a considerable amount of time, this was done on new Sandisk USB Drives.

All 3 of the installs failed while it was copying the files, regardless of me clicking on or not connect to the internet, download updates and install 3rd party drivers / files. So after 6 hours I gave up all hope.

This morning, I tried again but I went on the "Try Zorin" option. Although slow, because its booting from a USB Drive, It all started and I was able to connect to the internet on the Wireless adaptor and actually use some features and browse some webpages. Though slow, as expected, it was working from what I could see normally and mostly as expected.

I then took the leap of faith and clicked on the install Zorin on the desktop. Although it forgot the internet connection, and didn't want to reconnect, it got to about 1/4 of the file copying process before also crashing. I don't have a DVD drive except on my XBox as I left that technology behind with Fax machines, so a DVD install is not possible. From what I saw this morning, it appears to be some problem with the installer.
@Zorinantwerp, I will try tonight your suggestion you sent me in a PM as my last try.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54:45 pm

Personally I have never liked Etcher. There are a number of other things to consider - you didn't use a Download Accelerator Manager did you? These are known to break Zorin downloads. I'll have to check about the downloads as the Ultimate images used to be in an archive and the hash numbers relates to the archive folder and NOT the .iso (Something I only discovered myself a while back). As you have other GNU/Linux OS's installed give MultiSystem a try:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13887&hilit=+multisystem.tar.bz

Mattnich

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29:38 pm

OK, nothing works as per the suggestions.

Linux Mint 19 64 bit works great, which is what I am using now to reply. There is something seriously wrong with the installer.

Zorin people, enjoy your 19 Euro, I am not donating any more time for testing an installer

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38:32 pm

Well as you paid for the Ultimate edition you are eligible for support on installation:

https://zorinos.com/help/zorin-premium-support/

Mattnich

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35:45 am

Hi, I have tried the help page and I will see what happens.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:17:03 pm

Hi, I've PMd Team Zorin as well to chase up your issue. Keep everything crossed! ;) :D

AZorin

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:35:19 pm

Hi Mattnic, I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

The hard drive space that Zorin OS Ultimate requires is much larger than the Core edition (a minimum of 20GB for Ultimate vs under 10GB for Core). Have you checked to see if the partition you're installing Zorin OS Ultimate onto is at least 20GB?
We have also heard of some users getting installer crashes, but after using a different USB drive the installation completed successfully. It might be the case that the USB drive you have been using has experienced some wear-and-tear, so burning the .iso file to a different USB drive might fix the issue.

If this didn't fix the issue, could you please let us know the details of the error message and/or a photo of the screen displaying the message (if possible)? This would help us to find the source of the issue.

Mattnich

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:54:50 am

Hi,
Thank you for the tip - I will try using a different USB drive for the installer. The Partition has 360 GB, it certainly isn't that a lack of space. The USB was new out of the packet.
I will try again tomorrow and get back to you.
I did raise a help ticket, you can use my registered email address to tie it all together.

Mattnich

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20:58 am

Hi again and thank you for the advice, I got a 32GB USB and I have just successfully installed - thank you

pcfan5

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:17:04 am

Hi guys , I think it would be better to sign this post as "resolved", since it was ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:12:01 pm

hi pcfan5, Sometimes new responses don't always show up. Looking forward to the new forum next year when the new Zorin gets released, similar to Stack Exchange. :) :D