This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading Zorin 12.0 Ult.

hennmann

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:52:00 pm

How do I upgrade my copy of Ultimate 12.0 to the latest version?
As it is attempting to run the "Live" is futile due to my graphics card being given the totally wrong drivers and the resolution is so pathetic I can't run anything. Installation from the USB drive is also useless because my graphics are so limited at extremely low resolution making installation looking like viewing through a knot hole! My mainboard is an MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition running 16 GB of Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 and an FX8370x8 with an Armor RX570 Radeon OC series.
As I'm typing this post my multiple monitors are crystal clear on Ubuntu 18.0.4.1 "right out of the box" with no drivers being needed to be installed or replaced.
While running Zorin "live" or should I say half dead there didn't appear to be any settings available for screen resolution etc. as the menus were very basic. How do i run "live" on Ubuntu?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:08:12 pm

If your intention is to use Zorin as a VM then use Virtual Box (latest version from VB website). As for the next major release, it will be based on Ubuntu 18.04 so your experience should hopefully improve. Unfortunately, Radeon graphics tend to be an issue in general, not least due to the fact that most (limited) drivers are included in the GNU/Linux kernel these days.

hennmann

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:06:00 am

I din't appear to have the terminal available otherwise I could have updated this way and the drivers as well. The video was at the lowest resolution available leaving me with a cut off menu of options. Other than still running Ubuntu 18.0.4.1 how else can i attempt to install this version of Zorin 12.0 Ult. and upgrade it? On a properly upgraded system with proper drivers, how can I run my Ult. and do a so called live install or is this beyond my capabilities other than attempting to install drivers during installation?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16:55 pm

Well you can Run Zorin live in memory provided you change your boot order. To run live in Ubuntu would need Virtual Box. It has been possible to install apps on Zorin in live mode so drivers should be no exception. I'll see what I can dig up or I could PM Team Zorin and ask them for a solution? ;) :D

hennmann

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:27:52 am

Thanks for the help and realistically 12.0 Ult is not that old (2017 I think) so drivers shouldn't be that much of a problem. Otherwise the latest version probably has the same kernel as Ubuntu 18.04 has and Ununtu 18.04 runs my GPU spot on! It didnt need any driver replacement whatsoever. As for my 12.0 Ult. I purchased it from a friend who purchased It but lost interest in the Linux venture. The only thing I did when I installed the 18.04 was the
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
and if I had some graphics perhaps this would also help but my knowledge of CLI commands is quite limited.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:54:12 pm

Hi, The fact that you bought Zorin from your friend won't have warranty support from Team Zorin as all GNU /Linux distributions that incur a payment will only provide support on the primary machine it was purchased for. Whilst Zorin 12.0 is not old it is an LTS rolling release and is currently at 12.4. The next major release appears to be end of January 2019 and will be based on the same version of Ubuntu. As it is a major release Artyom stated in an interview on The Linux Frontier that existing Ultimate users would not be getting a free upgrade from 12. Compared to Windows it is more stable, secure and an awful lot cheaper. My new rig for which I purchased an OEM DVD of 64-bit Windows 7 now asking me to upgrade to Windows 10 as the Ryzen processor does not get full support and Windows update will not go beyond the 177 updates I downloaded after install - the cost? £219 for 64-bit Pro. It's a no brainer. :) :D