This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New installation 12.04 - network problem

geron2

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59:12 am

Hi!
I am new to Zorin and a bit rusty with Linux so please go easy on me!
OS 12.4
Running Win 10 home. Wifi working fine and no problem. Made a USB boot stick with Rufus, ok. Started installation - no testing, ok until connecting to Internet. Log in refused a few times, so I continued without wifi. Installation very smooth so I restarted as requested and left Zorin to check Wifi in Win. Ok in Win. Started Zorin again. Surprise, surprise installation was gone without any trace from HD. Started installation again, this time I got connected to Internet and this time also very smooth installation. Restarted and wanted to set up default email client. Timeout and error message not connected to Internet. Opend default web browser, no access. This time I did not activate firewall, from browser disabled predictive opening. No luck. No wifi.

So I guess it is a networking problem. Googled but found nothing I did understand.

Guess it is not only me experiencing this, so I will be very happy to get some suggestions what to normally look for and change.

Hope my first posting to the forum will give help to solve the problem :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56:24 pm

Hi, As I have posted elsewhere, if you can connect directly to your router using ethernet cable this will download any missing packages. As the kernel changes so do the drivers. in the meantime try this guide as Zorin 12.04 is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/conne ... ntu-16-04/

geron2

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20:22 pm

Thanks!

I have only cabled connection from the wireless router. Not sure if that is any different than wifi. Now I have the choise of two connections, cabled and wireless. Both indicates the one I choose is connected. But when opening browser or trying to set up email account, no Internet connection. I have printed the instruction from your link, 'How to connect Wifi from Terminal.....' What is difficult to understand, is that when I already have internet connection, I will have even then have to go through the setup for Methode 1 or method 2? If I have to, I will try to make my way. What is the most convenient method, 1 or 2 in your opinion?
Very happy if you give me advice for best way to go through the proscess?

Thanks for your time

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11:03 pm

What I meant was if your device has an ethernet port and your router has them (usually four) and you can physically connect to the router, that is the best way. You may need to blacklist certain drivers. Do you know what chipset is used in Wireless? :) :D

geron2

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58:29 am

Thanks!

The router is wireless, and I have connected router to PC with an Internet cable so that should be ok.
If I understand this correctly, when I have internet connection in Zorin, but can not open links or set up email account, is because the Win drivers/ card does not talk to Zorin/ Linux?
Then I understand why extra config is neccesary.

Card: Wlp3s0, Realtec PCIe 9BE Family controller
Chipset: Intel (R) 100 series/ C230 series Chipset Family SMbus-A123

Guess this is what you ask for?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08:57 pm

OK, you may have to download a package in Windows, save to Memory Stick:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/770368/ ... untu-16-04

geron2

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39:27 pm

Thanks for answer. In the article I found no link for dowloading the Window package. Love to try boot with the UB stick. Appreciate if you can provide the correct download link :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26:11 pm

Sorry about that. I should have checked the links. My bad.

I have downloaded the driver from 2013 from here:

https://driverscollection.com/?file_cid ... 726f6452a8

If you have any issues, I will try to PM you the file. ;) :D