This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation on separate hard disk without dual boot

zard

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:03:54 am

Hi, my self built computer has multiple hard disks and main OS is Windows 10. I do not want Zorin OS to interfer with the Windows 10 at all, so I am intending to install Zorin OS on a separate hard disk within my computer. I intend for my computer to boot Windows 10 by default, and when I want to boot Zorin OS, I need to trigger my computer Boot Menu or change boot order in Bios. Is this doable?

I came across this wonderful manual https://app.box.com/s/71wn2fird2nee6un8t206ugm6mzui9hr but it seemed to address dual boot Windows or a computer/system booting into Zorin OS directly.

I'm thinking of the following steps.

1. Prepare Zorin on USB thumb drive
2. Use boot menu or Bios to boot up to Zorin OS installer
3. Select the separate hard disk that I want to use and let it wipe and install accordingly

Hope someone can comment or give me some advice. Thanks.

zorinantwerp

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:45:54 am

Hi

Change the boot order in windows without navigating to settings en then without restarting under advanced startup going into UEFI firmware Settings.
I don't think that can be done.

Physically change the SSD in my laptop to arrive at the wanted OS is a much more rapid way.

Good luck

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:23:52 pm

You disconnect all other drives, then run your install on the drive you want Zorin on.
Next, reconnect all drives, install EasyBCD from NeoSmart - this backs up your Win10 bootloader and allows you to create an entry for Zorin - and I hasten to add I have never tried this! Good Luck! ;)

zard

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47:55 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I think the method via disconnecting all other hard disks is probably the safest route but on the other hand, risky as well as my rig is very crowded with 5 hard disks and run the risks of some not booting up again.

I wonder if I were to do it on another PC (only one hard disk) then bring it into my rig, will it boot?

zorinantwerp

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49:01 am

Hi

works for me but if you try you will know :)

cheers

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:58:26 am

The beauty of GNU/Linux is that when my motherboard was failing I installed new one, put my GNU/Linux OSes in the rig from the old machine and they worked straigth off - not so with Winblows! :lol:

zard

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:47:10 am

Cool man. I used a very old notebook to boot up with thumb drive, installed Zorin lite on an external SSD. Then I plugged the external SSD to another PC, it booted up fine.

One thing I need advise is on my wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm using Logitech RF keyboard and mouse, which I was able to use to log into Zorin lite on the external SSD. Issue here is that if I leave the system unused for sometime (at least a few minutes), my monitor blanks off, and I had to fiddle the keyboard and mouse for many many clicks before it wakes up. I tried making changes to the Power settings for the system and monitor, but it didn't help at all. Maybe I do not know how to set it up correctly.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17:04 pm

MBMz10

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24:00 pm

I also have Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse and find that transferring data via USB interfere with them. Try moving to wireless receiver away from the data transfer device, if they both plugged into rear ports put one in a front port.

I gets me every time and I think the mouse battery is going flat...