This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation problem Zorin 12.04 - gray screen

giomil

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04:41 am

Hello ****,

I'm looking for someone that can help me to solve this problem.
The same problem occurred on 2 pcs:
Acer Aspire 1640 P4
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1437G PM

I was installing Zorin lite formatting the hd, but arrived to the window for personal info the 'next' button was gray, no way to go ahead. I had 3 green point for name, pc name and user, the password was ok, but the installation was stopped. So I had to power off the pc. Now when I swich on the pc I get a gray screen with the cursor flashing. I tried with others .iso file on cd and pen drive but nothing worked. Is like the pc is waiting for some instruction that it can't get, or blocked on something. The behavior is the same with cd, pen drive or without, after power on the gray screen.
On the internet I found that the problem could be related to the presence of a periferal, but nothing is attached.
Same thing on both pcs.

Can someone help me to fix this problem?
Please

giomil

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41:55 pm

I think that the formatting procedure burned out the hd of the Amilo pc as the bios don't see the hd.
Furthermore I dismounted the hd and tried to use it as external disk but is not visible in the other computer.
So I think I have to buy a new one.

zorinantwerp

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:44:39 pm

giomil wrote:I think that the formatting procedure burned out the hd of the Amilo pc as the bios don't see the hd.
Furthermore I dismounted the hd and tried to use it as external disk but is not visible in the other computer.
So I think I have to buy a new one.

if the BIOS does not dedect the HD there is little hope but you can try this:
if you have access to another pc download and burn a gParted CD. Do a low level format so all is erased on the HD. use format Ext4 which is rock-solid and stable.

also download Zorin Light and burn a DVD but make sure it is the 32 bit version

when booting use F2 or similar to enter the BIOS and set in it for DVD to boot before hard drive.

please let us know the result.
+++

giomil

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17:55 pm

Thank you zorinantwerp,
I did many attept with some error, I burned more time the iso file, At the end I was able to install Zorin on Acer Aspire (anyway with slowly answers from a window to another, or surfing with cromium).

For the Amilo, now I have another problem. I changed the old 80gb hd with a SSD Plus 240gb Sandisk,
but the sistem see this new hd only in read mode. Thinking that was a corrupted hd I substitued it with another same type but the result was the same, only reading mode.

Any suggestion?

I'll be back in about 2 weeks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:40:59 pm

You may need to change your BIOS settings to AHCI for the SSD to be seen:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/924815/ ... ell-xps-15