This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Difficult Times

Chris581

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:35:32 pm

[b]---

Hi All,

As a complete Linux novice I was drawn to Zorin (purchased 12 Ultimate x64) to bring life back to one of my old laptops, in particular an Acer Travelmate 7510 which should be fine ;) (!)
After days on end trying to install from a USB I can still only get a live environment and it will not save to HDD. I have tried and tried again - the 'something else' option and gparted shows all the partitions etc are fine. Looking at various threads I have now got into grub and checked file structure on hd0,1 and is all present as should be. I have managed to open a terminal in the live desktop and down load Boot-repair which has worked - in a fashion. I can boot from the HDD now rather than the USB (!!) this is a huge success as it has sapped days of my life trying to do a straightforward task.. and I am totally new to Linux (apart from a run with Puppy Linux I tried a while ago to test it made an old laptop work fine).
There is no windows on this at all - it had Win7 but just was so slow. Now I get to choose what to boot into Zorin or Zorin Recovery etc.
Things I need help to resolve:-
1) Boot has scripts listing forever on the screen and when it does (eventually) get to the home screen - all I get is (for user) Not Listed? - and I cannot get past this as no name or password (I used when trying to install onto the HDD numerous times) works or does anything. Stuck at this point. - unless I use the USB and that then doesn't save anything to HDD.
2) Boot seems to take so long - is this normal? I don't expect it to be quick but I expected quicker than Win7..

Any help appreciated as I really want this as my OS on this big a** 17" laptop :lol:

zorinantwerp

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06:25 pm

Hi

specs of your Acer
Code:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/268238/Acer-Travelmate-7510.html?page=39

in meantime have you read the install file on https://zorinos.com/help/
and the manual of Swarfendor437 in pdf format https://app.box.com/s/71wn2fird2nee6un8t206ugm6mzui9hr

checking out :)

Chris581

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30:59 pm

Many thanks for those.

Can I move the post ? sorry new to forums as well :roll:

I will read that and see if I can play around and make things work better.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:56:57 pm

this is an install issue so it should stay put! :P

Chris581

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33:56 pm

Thanks for the advice - I have tried to install using every option - letting it do it itself and also manually and choosing the partitions as required.
Tried boot-repair and also Grub 2 repair, this at least gives me options to boot - into normal or rescue mode.
Carry out all the task to repair / clean in the rescue mode - only to boot into the normal mode and get presented with "not listed?" the same as the "live user" screen.
clicking the not listed asks for a User and password that then is not recognized (no has ever been set up as it's a clean install?)
That's as far as I have got now - I can use a Live session (not what I want as it takes forever to load) and I can't install any updates.
Very frustrating and I can't understand why it takes so long - even Win7 loaded faster.
[FAILED] Failed to start show Plymouth Boot Screen
This is always in the list on the screen commands when loading over and over.
Will try an new install again as the file structure that was there has all gone.. :roll:

zorinantwerp

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41:50 pm

Hi,
since you have paid for Ultimate you have direct access to developers. use the form under 'zorin blog'.
The purchase enables you to download the ultimate iso again , use the original link, and burn the iso on a DVD rom. the install from DVD is more stable then using USB for aged laptops.

when done start up Live,and go the software&updater for tab 'extra drivers' to see if anything is shown. see your laptop is connected to internet :)

take a short root name and password so you do not get stuck with keyboard settings when booting up

please let know outcome

Chris581

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:44:42 pm

Thanks for the encouragement zorinantwerp - I will try again soon.
I actually downloaded and installed Mint just to prove a point, I experienced similar issues but it did install on my HDD.
I was able to run boot-repair and grub remove/repair/update and I think the grub is the key as i had to paste commands into a terminal.
Can't recall which one is was but it went about it differently and I think that is where the problem is.
I will use this for now and then try Zorin again when a bit more confident - and when I can access the DVD drive and the Wifi... :lol: