This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Next release

debiandonder

Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47:45 am

I have a big problem! I was using Zorin OS 9 and because it will reach it's end of life in April, I decided to try something else. I installed Q40S based on Debian 9 and it is such a mess! I used Rhythmbox on Zorin for years and it worked fine. It doesn't work at all on Q40S.

Can I get a hint when the next release of Zorin OS, based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, will be? Is it a month or more like three?

It's only been a week and I already miss the carefree days using Zorin 9!

zorinantwerp

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29:28 am

Hi debiandonder,

As you have read the new major release of Zorin will be based on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) operating system.
The alpha testing is in full swing and yes Rhytmbox 3.4.2 is included. Devs are pledged by 'release when ready' but the beta of the next major Zorin OS version will be available on the forum shortly.

A promise easily to be made is that the final version will knock your socks off - stay tuned and enjoy Zorin

cheers

debiandonder

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52:13 am

I have used Zorin 9 for years and the worst problem I had was some small error message that keps popping up, while everything kept working fine.

I ended up asking about the problem on some Ubuntu forum and it was fixed with the commands "sudo apt get" and "sudo apt upgrade". As easy as that.

It was also a very pleasant transition from Windows 7, I used previously. I could not fix Windows when it stopped installing updates, Zorin is easier to use than Windows.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04:48 pm

debiandonder wrote: ... I ended up asking about the problem on some Ubuntu forum and it was fixed with the commands "sudo apt get" and "sudo apt upgrade". As easy as that. ...

I think you'll find it is

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ;) :D

debiandonder

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41:33 pm

Yes that's another one that can use too.
I am a bit frustrated. I using a Debian 9 based distro this moment and the browser works well but not the music player.

I will wait for the next version of Zorin to come out before running back to Zorin. Zorin 9 had all the programs I use and everything just worked fine out of the box.

I was wondering about something else. My graphics card's fan broke and now I am using a AMD A10 processor with on board graphics. running a older version of KDE desktop environment.

Will it run Zorin Gnome version well or do you think I should rather go with the Lite version?

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56:51 pm

How much RAM and how much of that used for Graphics?

debiandonder

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:21:22 pm

I have about 8 gig of RAM and the system monitor shows 7.3 GB. I never use more than 3 GB, even when lots of programs are open.

I am running a Debian 9 based system now with KDE Plasma 5.8.6 and it works most of the time. The menu just lock up sometime and then I have to use ctrl+alt+delete to gain access to the screen that lets me reboot and get out of the freezing KDE menu.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53:37 pm

Well that should be plenty enough to run the next release. Not sure what the current state of AMD Graphics drivers is though as this is mainly included in the kernel - AMD had stopped providing specific drivers for GNU/Linux a few years back but there might be 3rd party solutions - all I can say is when it is released, download the core version and try it in live mode before installing. ;) :D

debiandonder

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34:04 pm

Thank you for the advice. I am running Debian 9 and the AMD processor with 6 GPU cores are running well of the generic drivers. I think only people with Nvidia hardware can benefit from proprietary driver, so it's not a issue in my case.