Upgrading from Zorin 12 Ultimate to version 15

Re: Upgrading from Zorin 12 Ultimate to version 15

Postby JeffK969 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Aravisian wrote: I believe that Zorin 15 Lite will be released FREE, soon.

From your lips to God's ears... Or in this case from your keyboard to God's eyes...
Already planning on wiping out Linux Mint Mate on my main pc and going with Lite 15...
Transferring files already, getting prepared.. If just even slightly better than 12.4, I will be very happy...

So they are coming out with an Ultimate Lite version and a regular Lite version. Wonder if the differences will be similar
to Ultimate vs Core. Wondering.... What would be the difference... Hmmm..
description: Desktop Computer
product: Inspiron 3847 (0622)
vendor: Dell Inc.
Linux User since Oct 2017
JeffK969

Postby mdiemer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm

"With a manicured beard and faux lumberjack flannel while wearing loafers and ankle socks."

Don't forget the jeans with (fake) holes in them. There was a time when I wore jeans with holes in them, but they were real holes. I couldn't afford new jeans.
Gateway GT5656
Athlon 64 X2 6000+/3.0 GHz
Nvidia 6150SE mobo
6 GB RAM
GeForce 8400 GS
2 500GB HDD's
Antec 450 WATT PS
mdiemer

Postby Aravisian » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:56 pm

mdiemer wrote:Don't forget the jeans with (fake) holes in them. There was a time when I wore jeans with holes in them, but they were real holes. I couldn't afford new jeans.

Well, of course you couldn't. You just blew five hundred clams on a product you could have weaseled for half price. :D

I have had similar on eBay. I had bought tools that I paid for only to see them get listed at a later date and go for much less.
I have also gotten killer deals, too. I recently acquired a very nice item for about $4 that normally sells for over $100.
As an eBay seller, the reverse has happened. I will sell an item much lower than trending price sometimes and sometimes, it bids out into outer space.
Aravisian

Postby MBMz10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:48 am

mdiemer wrote:"With a manicured beard and faux lumberjack flannel while wearing loafers and ankle socks."

Don't forget the jeans with (fake) holes in them. There was a time when I wore jeans with holes in them, but they were real holes. I couldn't afford new jeans.

Those jeans probably worth $250 now that its a 'thing'
Linux eXspert: Where "X" is the unknown and "spert" is a drip under pressure.
MBMz10

Postby tambler » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm

JeffK969 wrote:
Aravisian wrote: I believe that Zorin 15 Lite will be released FREE, soon.

Wonder if the differences will be similar
to Ultimate vs Core. Wondering.... What would be the difference... Hmmm..

There is any easy route around all these version problems: all Linux users must take a hands-on approach to their chosen distro, so do it yourself! Swarf has already listed the differences between Core 15 and Ultimate 15 here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12491 and all anyone wanting to avoid paying extra for Ultimate needs to do is select additional apps from the list and install them in Core (or Lite, when available).

Having originally installed Zorin 12 Ultimate on a 2005 machine, I had to downgrade to Lite as the system couldn't handle developments. I then built a new rig for Zorin 12.4 Ultimate and will use that until it is no longer supported when it will be replaced by this current hybrid Core-15-Ultimate (custom built from Swarf's list).

Re payments in general, the best approach is a "contribute what you want" type as used by some other distros IMHO.
Machine for Zorin 15: Fujitsu Esprimo P700 Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G6 8GB RAM
tambler

Postby Aravisian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:10 am

tambler wrote:
There is any easy route around all these version problems: all Linux users must take a hands-on approach to their chosen distro, so do it yourself! Swarf has already listed the differences between Core 15 and Ultimate 15 here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12491 and all anyone wanting to avoid paying extra for Ultimate needs to do is select additional apps from the list and install them in Core (or Lite, when available).

Having originally installed Zorin 12 Ultimate on a 2005 machine, I had to downgrade to Lite as the system couldn't handle developments. I then built a new rig for Zorin 12.4 Ultimate and will use that until it is no longer supported when it will be replaced by this current hybrid Core-15-Ultimate (custom built from Swarf's list).

Exactly.
There is a certain selling point that the Zoirn Team is pretty good at patching and using backdoors to piece it all together. The reason some may opt for the Ultimate is to avoid the hassle and enjoy the expertise while also being able to support development and the team.
But it is 100% true that anyone can build their own "Ultimate" Zorin for free. It's FOSS, baby!

tambler wrote:Re payments in general, the best approach is a "contribute what you want" type as used by some other distros IMHO.

I agree. I think it would pull in more contributions, as well.
Aravisian

Postby Swarfendor437 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:16 pm

They should do like other projects and have a Patreon account. ;) :D
https://vimeo.com/user15592214
https://trisquel.info/
https://www.opendesktop.org/member/257685/

Machine: ASUS X470-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 Core, 16 Gb RAM, ZOTAC Geforce GT1030 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby JeffK969 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:34 pm

I wish they would for a few reasons. One of my 1st Linux distro's was 'Chalet OS'. It was awesome and really helped get me into Linux. I thought all linux distro's must be this good. Ha. But coming over from M$, it was a godsend. Also used Zorin Ultimate, Linux Mint. Well, don't know what happened with Dejan Petrović, but his great creation went dormant. Have tried a dozen other distro's, but the lure of Zorin keeps bringing me back. Although I don't use Ultimate, there is something that I enjoy about using Zorin. My Hook so to speak. My new Chalet. I hope to use Zorin OS for all my remaining pc days. With that said, they need to be around for that to happen....

Also, they are working on this big project for business systems/solutions. Wouldn't having some extra dough help them with getting some extra hands involved while finishing XCFE and all the other tasks they need to do. I'm sure just having two guys working on this, no matter how brilliant, must be a awful lot of work. There's only so much time in the day. They both have lives to lead away from the terminals too.

However this plays out, I just want to say Thank You to the Zorin's. Love your work. You have made your own brilliant slice of Linux.
JeffK969

Postby Aravisian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 pm

JeffK969 wrote:I hope to use Zorin OS for all my remaining pc days. With that said, they need to be around for that to happen....

Also, they are working on this big project for business systems/solutions. Wouldn't having some extra dough help them with getting some extra hands involved while finishing XCFE and all the other tasks they need to do. I'm sure just having two guys working on this, no matter how brilliant, must be a awful lot of work. There's only so much time in the day. They both have lives to lead away from the terminals too.

However this plays out, I just want to say Thank You to the Zorin's. Love your work. You have made your own brilliant slice of Linux.

Well said.

In my opinion and gauging by general human nature, I doubt that the Zorin bothers keep producing Zorin and dealing with the time crunches and stress because they just love doing it.
I am sure that sometimes they feel that way. But there are also days, that we all know too well, when you just don't want to go in to work.

When I was young, I asked an old timer what a person is supposed to do when you have one of those days. Unmotivated, feeling like your **** is dragging.
His answer was, "You work through it." He was right.
But a person needs a motive to do so.

Very recently, I decided to try out Mint, again. The first time I tried it was some odd months ago when I was freshly left windows and had no experience at all with Linux. I couldn't get it to work but got Zorin to work. Never looked back at Mint.
But I keep hearing about it, so I took a look. I like it. It is less Gnomey, has reasonably good customization though not as easy to do as XFCE. But when I got into the code, I saw that I had things I could learn. I am playing with it, now.
But if I had to choose today (For whatever reason your imagination throws out there) between Mint and Zorin OS, Mint would lose hands down.
You really said it well; Zorin has a certain appeal. With every other Distro I try out, it feels like an OS but when you log back into Zorin, it feels like coming home.
Aravisian

Postby JeffK969 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Agreed.... Almost like the warm hot coco after shoveling snow for several hours...
Ok, maybe not the same..haha But there is a certain level of comfort and ease/enjoyment that keeps you around...

After much though, I decided that I shall just pay for the ultimate version, and just use the non-ultimate Core & XFCE.
Or maybe the Ultimate Lite, since I'm curious how quick it can run with all those extra packages...

Will be able to post on here until 2027, right? That would come out to roughly $5 a year for 8 years....
Plus, it would be helping the cause (which is the major reason to do it. And the Right one...)..
JeffK969

PreviousNext

Return to Installation